Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

C6 z51 vs Evo (comparison after the switch)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 z51 vs Evo (comparison after the switch)

The Evo has been gone since december but todays norcal rain has reminded what a blast the car was to have on a day like this.

Handling:
Initial there is this feeling that the evo handles better, or turns faster ( feels quicker at least).. but after spending time in the C6 and learning how to control a RWD monster that I simply not the case.. in no way does the evo outhandle this car in anyway ( which is apparent on the skid pad .98g and pushes over 1g stock on occasion). The c6 goes into turns much quicker, however doesnt barrel out of turns because you actuall have to respect grip with RWD car, which is not a concern with the evo. The big issue is the steering wheel and harder bushings in the evo adequately communciate the road to the driver. The c6 on the other hand has very soft suspension bushings and crappy steering wheel. I have swapped this out to poly bushings and all of a sudden, the car communicates! ( simple $25 fix). The evo has alot of balance which makes it so amazing.. the power is there, but its not over the top to where grip is ever an issue, so merely flooring it will not get you in trouble... its also very confidence inspiring. Around the city taking tight turns or driving like a maniac, I dont think any car can touch the evo because of its lighting quick reflexes.

Power:
At 350whp in stock trim, the c6 has power, but doing a few quick basic mods really opens things up. Headers, ported intake manifold, intake and tune will bump you into the 400whp range. With the addition of a cam, and a new heads/intake combo available direct from GM 480whp+ is attainable and looks pretty much stock. The c6 is geared very highly for MPG consideration. Thus the a modded evo can keep up with the car in the lower gears (also thanks to traction) but up top the C6 take little to no effort to reach 160mph.

My opinion is that the evo has replaced the c6 z51 in bang for your $$$ ( just slightly better here) but with a car that costs over 20K more, your getting your moneys worth with the vette(head to head, vette hands down) I have seen posts here that suggest an exhaust/tune evo IX can keep up. I can only see that happening at low speeds like mentioned. The evo makes peekey power, while a big v8 is going to make power and torque all over the entire powerband.

Last edited by bdking57; Feb 22, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great review. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new car. By the way, the Z51 came with a shorter gear ratios and a bit stiffer suspension right ? I believe I have a test on the first Vette C6 with the Z51 and it ran a 12.5xx, the car was yellow. Let me know if you know what I am talking about.

Carlos.

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 22, 2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

nice review, love the vettes, if I didn't have to drive in snow I woud have had a c6 instead of the evo...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

My best friend has a Black c6 also. The F'er pulls like crazy up top 100+ MPH (he had a tune and K&N filters). We raced from a dig I a really put it on him 4-5 car to 60 MPH. He didnt catch me till about 130mph.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Great review. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new car. By the way, the Z51 came with a shorter gear ratios and a bit stiffer suspension right ? I believe I have a test on the first Vette C6 with the Z51 and it ran a 12.5xx, the car was yellow. Let me know if you know what I am talking about.

Carlos.
The $2000 z51 package packs a punch.. it upgrades the tires to F1 supercar tires like that found on the z06.. z06 front sway bar, with a intermediate rear sway bar, stiffer springs and shocks, shorter gear ratios 3,4 and 5th, oil cooler, tranny cooler, cross driller rotors ( im probably forgetting a few things). The leaf spring design enables you to avoid expensive coilovers for great performance.. really all that is a $300 upgrade to high end bilstein shocks along with the bushings and you have a car that now feels as sharp as the evo... plus the suspension is adjustable from the factory so you wont be needing lowering springs or anything like that.. the car can be lowered from the factory.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I was whinning on the vette board about the lack of track usefullness of the car to some degree.. I mean the evo is a race car, its completely uncomfortable, loud, but all business.. Alot of vette owners swap to 4.10 gears.. this give you crazy sub 100 acceleration but no traction in the first few gears. I used to take my evo to 150 almost daily on my way to work ( its very stable).. definately starts to die around 140 though.. at 160 in the vette, It wants to keep going, but thats aerodynamics for you.

the 285 wide tires on the standard C6 are no where near wide enough.. especially after a few bolt ons. With the big brother z06 and blue devil (on the way)..ugrading or modding the car is ultra cheap. (how about monster 6 piston z06 brakes for $1300? What would that cost on the evo?)

Ultimately I really wish I could have both of these cars.. and I think in the future, that I will own another evo.

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
My best friend has a Black c6 also. The F'er pulls like crazy up top 100+ MPH (he had a tune and K&N filters). We raced from a dig I a really put it on him 4-5 car to 60 MPH. He didnt catch me till about 130mph.

Last edited by bdking57; Feb 22, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

the vette is a monster.. before my uncle made his into a limo i drove it around a little and the evo feels nothing like the vette.. cruisng at like 20mph and punching feels like someone kicks you in the back. It was an automatic vette and it spun the tires shiftin to 2nd @ 60mph thats fkn insane. Have fun with the vette.

My friend has a blue c6 ZO6 w/ borla exhaust and acouple other minor engine upgrades and tune that fkn car is insanee
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GGevoIXSE
the vette is a monster.. before my uncle made his into a limo i drove it around a little and the evo feels nothing like the vette.. cruisng at like 20mph and punching feels like someone kicks you in the back. It was an automatic vette and it spun the tires shiftin to 2nd @ 60mph thats fkn insane. Have fun with the vette.

My friend has a blue c6 ZO6 w/ borla exhaust and acouple other minor engine upgrades and tune that fkn car is insanee
It sounds like you have a 335i on the way... I would be real intrested to see a modded 335i run on a stock vette. I bet that would be pretty close from a roll. I was looking at one of them as well.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Did you get the automatic tranny, too?

J/k, Nice car. There is nothing wrong with wanting a Vette.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

I got the car for autox.. so def. not automatic, but the car has so much power the auto guys really have an edge in the 1/4.. launching the m6 on the street is an issue. The vette is one of the last high powered sports cars to even offer a stick.. just look at the aston martin, isnt that all paddle shift>?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sex appeal definitely goes to the C6 nothing for the money can compete there.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Sex appeal definitely goes to the C6 nothing for the money can compete there.
ditto.. I get the " I feel so F'ing hot in this car" line all the time. Even some old grandma was like "thats one sexy *****" Bad part is wheels cost a fortune.. and there are still very few tire options.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bdking57
It sounds like you have a 335i on the way... I would be real intrested to see a modded 335i run on a stock vette. I bet that would be pretty close from a roll. I was looking at one of them as well.
Ya i think a Vishnu tuned 335i would keep up with a stock vette if you said its only pushing 350whp thats around what the vishnu 335i has, The new tune they got gives the 335i 380wtq with just a tune and exhaust, i think the only edge the vette would have over the 335i would be the weight difference. Vishnu tuned 335i'z are suppose to run about 12.6 1/4 with good traction.

Waiting for this thing is such a *****, i called bmw today and they told me first or second week of april is when i should be expecting it
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bolt on a turbo kit from APS and the vette makes
nearly 700 horsepower at the flywheel and over 640 FtLb of torque on tap, the C6 Corvette is an awesome weapon - And that's through the stock exhaust system!
Manual trans, Stock mufflers, 93 (R+M)/2 octane fuel
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/corvette/c6.htm
INSANE!!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

C6 is defenitely a chick magnet dude!!!
Evo is a dude magnet!

Quick Reply: C6 z51 vs Evo (comparison after the switch)