Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Confirm: Next Infiniti G Coupe named G37 + TT AWD 500hp version in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Confirm: Next Infiniti G Coupe named G37 + TT AWD 500hp version in the works?

Courtesy of autoblog.com

We showed you a sketch of the forthcoming new Infiniti G coupe back in January. Set to be unveiled next month at the NY International Auto Show, the car now has a name attached to it: G37. This was confirmed in an email that went out earlier today from the show organizers. We also have a new teaser shot of the car, as you can see here. No reason's been given yet for the updated nomenclature, but we'll guess that a bumped-up 3.7L version of the VQ powerplant will reside under the coupe's hood.

The other Infiniti debut at NY is called the EX Concept, which is said to showcase new technology that the automaker will implement on production cars for the first time ever by the end of 2007. We'll be in the Big Apple to bring you all the news as it happens.
and

Enter the rumormill: 500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010
May we first present to you a grain of salt, which you should take with what we're about to say. A comment left on an earlier post today confirming the G37 Coupe's new name led us to the Freshalloy forums where a member had recently posted some tantalizing information.

The Freshalloy forum member relays information he obtained from the owner of his local Nissan/Infiniti dealership that includes not only confirmation of the new G37 name four days before today's official announcement, but also speculation that the larger engine will produce 325 horsepower "out of the box". On a follow up visit, the forum member learned that a possible 330-hp variant of the G37 is also currently being tested at sea level. Finally, the owner said that the new G37 will be in dealerships this summer around July or August.

The real nugget of speculation that interests us, however, is the possibility that Infiniti will produce an all-wheel drive, twin-turbocharged version of the G37 in 2010 that will produce 500 horsepower. Such a car sounds a lot like the Nissan GT-R, the first production Skyline ever to be sold in the U.S. Even though this news come from a forum post written by a guy who talked to some dealer, and its validity can in no way be confirmed at this time, we have to admit that it makes sense to us.

We're well aware that Infiniti dealers were not happy when one Carlos Ghosn announced the GT-R would be badged a Nissan, so an ultra high-performance version of the G37 is one relatively easy way to appease those dealers. We also presume that the G37 Coupe and GT-R will share a good deal of hardware, which makes us wonder if the GT-R's powerplant will turn out to be a twin-turbo version of the G37's 3.7L VQ V6, rather than the 3.5L version. That would certainly explain the blistering lap times a prototype was turning at Laguna Seca last month.

Oh yeah, the dealer is expecting a G37 convertible in 2009. You may now exit the rumormill.
My Take: A 3.7L VQHR sounds like sex on wheels. The 3.5L is one of the best voted engines in the world, so making it bigger can only mean good news. Can't wait for the G37! Far as the rumor TT 500hp Infiniti G37 I really don't have much to say on that but I seriously doubt nissan would do such a thing with the GT-R release right around the corner (fall 2007 to be exact), but I mean, it is a 2010 model, so anything can happen.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

a TT G37 and a Nissan GTR at the same time? that makes no sense... i highly doubt a TT G37 will appear.....
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The rational behind having a G37 TT, AWD is that... the GTR is badged as a Nissan. Infiniti is a bit pissed they didn't get it. So.... I could see them doing it up luxury style and compete with Aston Martin.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:47 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Doesn't make a lot of sense, but a flagship Infiniti sport coupe to compete in the $100k range doesn't seem to be out of the realm of possibility.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

it infiniti (nissan) goes through with this...wow, that is going to be sexy.

by then a vette z06 will probably come with 800hp from the factory though lol
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have thought they might have done a sedan with slightly detuned GT-R hardware for Infiniti so that they could have something to go against the Lexus IS-F, M5, CTS/STS-V, and AMG. Then that way they could have a halo car that wouldn't step on the GT-R's nuts entirely, but having a coupe version makes little sense to me. Pumping it up to 3.7L is a necessity when you already have Lexus at 306 with their IS350, the new CTS will have ~305hp and so on.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
it infiniti (nissan) goes through with this...wow, that is going to be sexy.

by then a vette z06 will probably come with 800hp from the factory though lol

Well the Z06 SS is a go with 650 HP so we shall see how long it takes to hit 800.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The rational behind having a G37 TT, AWD is that... the GTR is badged as a Nissan. Infiniti is a bit pissed they didn't get it. So.... I could see them doing it up luxury style and compete with Aston Martin.
Consider Infiniti is Nissan and Nissan get the profits anyways why would they be pissed.

GTourer is probably right if Infinity does come out with a higher performance car it would probably be a sedan. Nissan wouldn't want to interfere with establishing a new model in the US especially considering one as so iconic as the Skyline. Undercutting the Skyline would be like saying its not good enough which might have a negative effect on the company. It just wouldn't be a wise business decision.

Last edited by nVAevo; Mar 14, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nVAevo
Consider Infiniti is Nissan and Nissan get the profits anyways why would they be pissed.

GTourer is probably right if Infinity does come out with a higher performance car it would probably be a sedan. Nissan wouldn't want to interfere with establishing a new model in the US especially considering one as so iconic as the Skyline. Undercutting the Skyline would be like saying its not good enough which might have a negative effect on the company. It just wouldn't be a wise business decision.
Who says it would undercut? The Skyline Gtr is a performance vehicle, the G37 version at 500hp would probably be a luxury version. GM does this with the Corvette, and the Cadillac XLR, and both sell like crazy around here.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
GM does this with the Corvette, and the Cadillac XLR, and both sell like crazy around here.
Well, I work at a Caddy dealer, and I see how we and other dealers do in XLR sales and overall they don't "sell like crazy." They do okay, though IMO. But even still while its a pretty good analogy, I don't think it quite works. Cadillac and Chevy do have totally different market positions and have been establish as such for many years. This whole GT-R thing is new to the US and new for Nissan entirely, so I don't think they will be able to tap into the luxury car buyer and enthusiast car buyer markets right away with both it and this proposed Infiniti right away, which I think will mean one will canniblize sales over the other. I have had a couple of Corvette trade ins for XLR's, but for the most part I feel their markets are more exclusive then not. I do not see it being that way for a GT-R and Infiniti version as much. They Caddy doesn't put up the performance #'s as the Vette (different engine as well) so maybe they could keep the GT-R as the performance leader, and the Infinit with the luxury edge, but with a proposed 500hp I don't see how. I'm thinking that's as much or more then the GT-R would have.

Infiniti's American dealer group could be upset, but I don't see how they would have the clout to make Nissan of Japan develop such a vehicle.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 14, 2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

the power speculation on these cars is ridiculous.. the GTR will have a hard enough time performing dollar vs dollar against the the standard corvettes performance variant (z51) with a 186mph top speed and .98g turning... similiar whp and much lighter plus ultra cheap to mod.

It is not in the same level of cars as the strandard z06 which will costs the same as the GTR.. and comparing it to the blue devil which will offer better performance then then current porshe GT and other $500K supercars is crazy.

The car wouldnt last long at 100K+.. just look at the Ford GT, and that car from a collectible stand point is actually worth that much.

I would be very pleased if nissan would actually start racing these cars in some sort of program.. why not race the GTR in le mans? That would be the best thing that could come of this.. they arent going to be able to gather much respect if their cars are not competitive in the racing venue.

Last edited by bdking57; Mar 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
I would have thought they might have done a sedan with slightly detuned GT-R hardware for Infiniti so that they could have something to go against the Lexus IS-F, M5, CTS/STS-V, and AMG. Then that way they could have a halo car that wouldn't step on the GT-R's nuts entirely, but having a coupe version makes little sense to me. Pumping it up to 3.7L is a necessity when you already have Lexus at 306 with their IS350, the new CTS will have ~305hp and so on.
The G35 coupe is to a 350Z as this car is to the GT-R. Infiniti could very easily do both coupe and sedan models as they did with the G35, using a mildly stretched GT-R chassis and subtle bodywork changes. The cars won't get cross shopped much; the GT-R will fight the 911 Turbo, GT3, Z06, and similar cars, while the Infiniti coupe/sedan duo could fight the M5/M6, RS6, CTS-V, and various MB/AMG models.

It also might be a good testbed to see how much of the negative stigma the Japanese luxury brands have shed since the NSX found itself in $80k+ no-man's land. The LS460 is doing well at $70k; will people pay $80k or $100k for a luxury-sports car from Japan?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The G35 coupe is to a 350Z as this car is to the GT-R. Infiniti could very easily do both coupe and sedan models as they did with the G35, using a mildly stretched GT-R chassis and subtle bodywork changes. The cars won't get cross shopped much; the GT-R will fight the 911 Turbo, GT3, Z06, and similar cars, while the Infiniti coupe/sedan duo could fight the M5/M6, RS6, CTS-V, and various MB/AMG models.
I agree that the Z has done well coexisting with the G35, but they are both relatively inepxensive cars that more common people can get their hands on. Still, I think they only sell like 30K Z's a year. When you move up into the 60-80K range or whatever the GT-R will be, its obviously going to be a lot less. I just think that both cars would split whatever market they can get and it would be too big a bill for Nissan to bear then if they just had the development costs of one nice car.

It also might be a good testbed to see how much of the negative stigma the Japanese luxury brands have shed since the NSX found itself in $80k+ no-man's land. The LS460 is doing well at $70k; will people pay $80k or $100k for a luxury-sports car from Japan?
I think the NSX was just ahead of its time. 80K Japanese cars are coming, its just that Nissan is going to be the only one trying to sell the car under their non-premium brand. I think the GT-R will have good luxury features, I don't know how much they could really add to an Infiniti version that wouldn't just make it extremely expensive for no other reason. Then you'd have it competing against Mercedes (if it got up to 100K) and I don't think that would work at all.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nVAevo
Nissan corporation won't be pissed, the owners of the Infiniti dealers are. If you owned an Infiniti dealership, wouldn't you want the GT-R to sell? Nope, too bad, the Nissan dealership around the corner which you do not own gets to sell it..... no money for you!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Most Infiniti dealerships I know of also have a Nissan dealership though.

Maybe Infiniti will only get a 4-door version? Hmm

Quick Reply: Confirm: Next Infiniti G Coupe named G37 + TT AWD 500hp version in the works?