Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi=
I have owned 4 Audi Quattros (2 A4 1.8TQ, 200TQ, and a Quattro Coupe) 2 were well modded and the other 2 mostly stock.... could it be that each and every one of them were a complete lemon? Everyone I know who has owned an Audi or VW has had horrible luck with things falling apart- I used to be all about German cars but after my experiences owning those 4 Audis and a Porsche 944 and having all of them fall apart all of time, I will never own another non- Japanese car so for all you RS4 fans, try actually owning an Audi and after you've dropped a couple grand in repairs every year, and constantly having electrical problems, u might not feel quite the same about the Audi brand... JDM
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking of trading my C55 and test drove the RS4 the other day. No way, I was not impressed at all. It looks sexy, but in my opinion doesn't compare to the AMG. I'll stick with the AMG until I can get my hands on a Gallardo.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
Really?

I just thought it was the other way around. Whenever you buy an expensive car people say you are compensating for something
Notice the only people that make comments like this arent driving the expensive car, and dont have the incredibly hot woman in the passenger seat, or live in a house as nice, in a neighborhood as nice...etc etc etc

It may make you feel good to drive an Evo when your 40, but hopefully by then Ill be driving something thats allot nicer, just as fast, and twice as luxurious.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I guess I have been doing a fair amount of compensating over the years

The place that we disagree as to what is nicer. I could care less what image the car I drive has and I would have no issues about driving an Evo when I am 40. My priorities lie around a satisfying driving experience. The Evo does this for me and in the areas that are important to me it is better than an RS4. Until I feel the need to be coddled I wont step up to a car like the RS4 -- maybe when I am 60

My ideal car is something I can take to the track, flog mercilessly, and then drive home. It is also something I can drive to work the following morning without sacrifice. The Audi is just too heavy and too luxurious for this task.

Here is a quick quote from Evo Magazine regarding the sport saloon:

Our choice: Mitsubishi Evo IX. The interior’s still rubbish and it’s not great as a relaxed commuter, but we love the Evo IX in all its guises. It’s the way it sucks you in and allows you to drive faster than you ever thought you’d have the ability or nerve to.

Best of the rest: The new Audi RS4 is a step for Audis with a glorious naturally aspirated V8, quattro security and a fantastic interior – just don’t take on an Evo IX round a track.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Over priced I rather have a M5.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
I guess I have been doing a fair amount of compensating over the years

The place that we disagree as to what is nicer. I could care less what image the car I drive has and I would have no issues about driving an Evo when I am 40. My priorities lie around a satisfying driving experience. The Evo does this for me and in the areas that are important to me it is better than an RS4. Until I feel the need to be coddled I wont step up to a car like the RS4 -- maybe when I am 60

My ideal car is something I can take to the track, flog mercilessly, and then drive home. It is also something I can drive to work the following morning without sacrifice. The Audi is just too heavy and too luxurious for this task.

Here is a quick quote from Evo Magazine regarding the sport saloon:

Our choice: Mitsubishi Evo IX. The interior’s still rubbish and it’s not great as a relaxed commuter, but we love the Evo IX in all its guises. It’s the way it sucks you in and allows you to drive faster than you ever thought you’d have the ability or nerve to.

Best of the rest: The new Audi RS4 is a step for Audis with a glorious naturally aspirated V8, quattro security and a fantastic interior – just don’t take on an Evo IX round a track.
So the Magazine says the RS4 is a better car in every aspect, except at the track. Well considering 90% of my driving is done around town...Id take the RS4.

Taking an Evo to the track and beating on it ruthlessly will only lead to problems...which youll want fixed, and the dealerships wont cover under warranty.

I dont care about my image, but theres no subjectiveness here. The AUDI has everything the Evo doesnt, and goes almost as well. Stop being an Evo fanboi, and come to the realization that there are cars out there better than the Evo.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

For 70K the RS4 is one hell of a car. I would have no reservations about buying one. It's not or everyone, those that know just know.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:25 PM

here we go with the German car talk again on EvoM..... I wouldnt drive an Audi even if it were $30,000 and ran ten's in the 1/4. If you want a real performer just buy a new Z06, if you like German then get a Porsche 911 turbo
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yas06IX
here we go with the German car talk again on EvoM..... I wouldnt drive an Audi even if it were $30,000 and ran ten's in the 1/4. If you want a real performer just buy a new Z06, if you like German then get a Porsche 911 turbo
Audi has never been all about performance. If you want a fast car, sure get the 911 (thats 100Kplus) or the Z06, if you want a nice, 4 door, daily driver, i think the RS4. This is the OTHER CARS section of the forum, i see nothing wrong w/ talking about cars other than the evo. This is really a funny thread. Everyone has different tastes in cars, nothing wrong w/ that.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I went to an Audi ride and drive in Atlanta. Unfortunately they didn't let us drive the RS4's only ride and I have to say it was a very nice car and was pretty quick. I really liked riding in it.

That said I'm looking currently for a replacement for my Evo. So, I went to my local Audi dealer yesterday. As much as I think I would love the RS4 it's out of my price range. They did have a black S4 sitting on the lot though. So, we took that out.

I have never been so disappointed. I wanted to like it. I honestly tried to like it but, I just couldn't figure the car out. I knew it wasn't going to be RS4 quick. I thought I had reasonable expectations of how quick it should be. I was thinking about as fast as my 335. It had a $54K sticker price on it. All kinds of options,creature comforts, amenities and, it was terrible to drive. The engine was very lazy and didn't want to rev. The steering was extremely light and numb and I swear it felt like the shifter wasn't hooked to anything at all. The ride was overly stiff for the character of the car. It made lots of nice noises like it was going fast but, it just wasn't. I actually asked the sales guy "How do we get back to the dealership?" after about 2 miles in the car. I was very let down by it. It felt like a 4 door euromustang.

That said. I know the RS4 has about 70hp on the S4 but, if the overall "feel" of the cars is anything like the S4 to drive I would have a very hard time spending $70K+ on one. Especially with the IS-F and new M3 coming. I hope it feels better but, it's a damn shame to have to spend that kind of money to get a car that feels good to drive when other car companies can get that involved feeling for WAY less.

Also, I've driven a few Audis (TT, A4, A3, A6) and never really "got" what their cars are about. They look great, have beautiful interiors, lots of technology and, are terrible to drive with the possible exception of the TT. If you like them congratulations. I want to but, just can't seem to get past the mixed messages they send.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Mar 25, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
Notice the only people that make comments like this arent driving the expensive car, and dont have the incredibly hot woman in the passenger seat, or live in a house as nice, in a neighborhood as nice...etc etc etc

It may make you feel good to drive an Evo when your 40, but hopefully by then Ill be driving something thats allot nicer, just as fast, and twice as luxurious.
If I was rich as hell I would still not buy this car. I'm not into luxury, showing off my mechanical *****, showing off how much money I have, and overpriced performance vehicles. I don't care what people think of my car and me as person. If the Evo looks like cardboard box, but still have the same performance I would still buy it. I could care less about my image. If I'm 100 years old I would still drive an Evo.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

rs4 is bananas even know i pull on my boys in 4 gear.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
It needs to go on a diet! 4000lbs is just rediculous
+1 very heavy imagine if it weighed 3300lbs!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

not everyone has to live in there car.. why is all that crap even needed? the car is a performance slouch.. I dont see where its a good car for the money when it has the performance on par with the evo and sti with a price tag that is 40K higher when its marketed as their high performance model...

Seems to me the people buying all these high perfomance luxo models are the ones that do know actually performance driving.. and just want to rub it in everyones face that they paid way to much for a car which they will never use... damn just buy a real performance car for that many.. aka z06, and leave it in the garage.. one thing is for sure, the z06 is a classic and will appreciate in value over time if taking car of, the rs4 will be driven daily and wont be worth crap in time. It doesnt have performance worthy of being a garage queen.

Originally Posted by UpstateEVOVIII
Are you kidding me? You will NOT buy a nicer car for the money. The RS4 comes standard with more features than you can shake a stick at (anyone here know ANYTHING about Audi before running their mouth?!?) If you look at the Dynamic Ride Control, the brakes, the fact that most of the car is aluminum, amazing interior quality, overall fantastic build quality, a 4.2L V8 w/ 420hp and a torque curve that you could serve dinner to a family of 15 on...I could go on all day. It is so much car for the money its unbelievable. 911's start in the 70's but it's a totally different car. How many cars can you drive to the racetrack with your family and the trunk full of luggage...race all day...then drive home safely. BTW the new M3 with the V8 will be priced along the same lines as the RS4. I don
t possibly see how you could be disappointed for the money. It just turns my stomach at the fact that you just "looked" at the car and said that. Did you even notice how wide the freakign thing is in comparison to the rest of Audi's A4's/S4's? Or the fact that you can engage the S mode for more aggressive engine response and throttle response along with heightened exhaust performance?

I have to stop before I blow a gasket

Last edited by bdking57; Mar 25, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

There is no point of having a car that is so comfortable and luxurious to the point that it's like a house. Nobody lives in their car. People that buy these type cars only buy them to be show off, or to compensate for something that they are lacking in.