Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bchang
Cadillac CTS-V and Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
RS4 would tear them up on a track!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nbVMAWK6JQ

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4&q=audi&hl=en

RS4 vs C55 AMG: (sorry it's in german)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXBtm...elated&search=

Last edited by smarsenal; Mar 26, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
M5 would probably be close but, it's a larger car than the RS4.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
M5 would probably be close but, it's a larger car than the RS4.
The M5 is also $15,000 more expensive than the RS4. I think the M5 would be faster in the straights, not sure about its overall abilities on the track.

As for the performance differences between the RS4 and the CTS-V and C55, personally I think it's minimal. But yes, the RS4 is the fastest 4 door "entry-level" (sorry couldn't think of a better word) luxury sedan on the market as of now.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

The M5 is also $15,000 more expensive than the RS4. I think the M5 would be faster in the straights, not sure about its overall abilities on the track.

As for the performance differences between the RS4 and the CTS-V and C55, personally I think it's minimal. But yes, the RS4 is the fastest 4 door "entry-level" (sorry couldn't think of a better word) luxury sedan on the market as of now.
I like the way you think!! All those same cars came to my mind when I was shopping around my S4. That's the only reason why I'm such a fan of the RS4. I did my research. I decided on trading in my S4 for the A3 and Evo. My payments are cheaper for 2 cars than for 1, and I have a better track car(with tons more moddability) in the Evo, and a nice daily driver in the A3. Trust me, I gave a LARGE amount of thought on the RS4. I finally decided that it was to nice a car to beat up on the track on a regular basis.
BTW, $70,000 = entry level? lol
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smarsenal
I like the way you think!! All those same cars came to my mind when I was shopping around my S4. That's the only reason why I'm such a fan of the RS4. I did my research. I decided on trading in my S4 for the A3 and Evo. My payments are cheaper for 2 cars than for 1, and I have a better track car(with tons more moddability) in the Evo, and a nice daily driver in the A3. Trust me, I gave a LARGE amount of thought on the RS4. I finally decided that it was to nice a car to beat up on the track on a regular basis.
BTW, $70,000 = entry level? lol
I know, I cringed a little myself when I typed "entry-level."

But you know what I meant, it's the fastest amongst the luxury sport sedan markets, which would include G35, TL, 3 series, A4/S4, C-class, CTS etc.

That being said, how do you like the A3? Do you happen to have the DSG transmission on yours? They're not very big cars at all but the general consesus is that the interior is bigger than it seems.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I know, I cringed a little myself when I typed "entry-level."

But you know what I meant, it's the fastest amongst the luxury sport sedan markets, which would include G35, TL, 3 series, A4/S4, C-class, CTS etc.

That being said, how do you like the A3? Do you happen to have the DSG transmission on yours? They're not very big cars at all but the general consesus is that the interior is bigger than it seems.
I love the A3!! It does have the DSG, which is a Fantastic gearbox!! It is great for daily driving, but there is an occaisional annoying lag that occurs between shifts at times that would hurt on the track. It is however, light years ahead of the tiptronic or SMG. Obviously, the A3 isn't as fast as the S4 I had, but it feels just as fast.
DSG vs MT in a drag:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmMNRQ1GJ3o
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

I know I was thinking about that too. I just came to the conclusion that if you have 70K what's another 15.

I would say the fastest mid-size luxury sedan over entry-level.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

E46 M3 prices are dropping ... a good friend of mine recently traded his '04 with 11k miles for $38,000.

Ouch.
Prices are absolutely dropping, as are the values for most if not ALL performance oriented cars. I purchased my certified pre-owned '03.5 M3 with 14,000 miles on the clock from a dealer well over 18 months ago for just a tick over $43K ($56K when new). 15%-16% average depreciation per year is normal. The market is flooded with so many great cars right now it's hard to retain any value once the "flavor of the month" status has expired.

Audi has created a scarce market for the RS4. I think one expected outcome of this strategy is the hope of bolstering the horrible depreciation experienced by buyers of new Audis. Everything I've read and everything I've seen on the RS4 says it's a fabulous car. How can you go wrong with Porsche 911-like handling with "four door practicality" (nevermind that the rear seats are almost useless for an adult). Audi's strategy may work but I don't see what is so special and so coveted about the RS4 that will allow it to outperform it's peers in that regard. Given what will be hitting the streets in the RS4s market segment, I expect to see used, relatively low mileage examples hitting the streets within three years selling for <$45K.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smarsenal
Can anybody name a 4 door sedan that offers the luxury and performance of the RS4? Before you answer, don't even say BMW M3 (There's not much luxury, or room in the M3).
While I won't disagree that there isn't alot of room in the back seat of an E46 M3, aside from the ingress and egress issues of a coupe, the M3 has nearly as much leg room as the Evo and perhaps even more than the A4/S4/RS4. I used to have a B5 S4. With the shortened wheelbase compared to the Passat, the back seat was practically useless for an adult over 5'-2". from everything I've read, the B7 based RS4 is no better.

Regardless... What a wonderful world we live in now with so many great choices for cars!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:11 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

It has always bummed me out that BMW didn't make a 4 door E46. I have my finger's crossed that they will do it with the upcoming version
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
It has always bummed me out that BMW didn't make a 4 door E46. I have my finger's crossed that they will do it with the upcoming version
I don't think they will. W/ the 335 here now, there just is not a good reason to do that anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRXEM
I don't think they will. W/ the 335 here now, there just is not a good reason to do that anymore.
Yeah, I mean really if they would just offer a limited slip diff in the 335 after the M3 came out you'd have something really close to the E46 M3.

I don't think they will do that though because it will make the 335 a little too close to the new M3 with a just little aftermarket love.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

My brothers RS 4 is the craziest car all around ive been in ... Ive driven Porsche turbos Bentleys GT's AMG series benzes M series bmw... NONE of those cars come close to the all around performance value and style that the RS4 hass. SICK SICK CAR welll worth 80 grand out the door