Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The Evo 9 is not much behind an Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll say it again, price isn't really an issue for sombody who can afford the car...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Uh... I'd go for the Vette .. FTMFW!!!!! Z06 for about.. 75k ?.

Have about 30k left for the mortgage.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

It's an overpriced performance car. I would rather get a C6 Z06.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

The one problem with the R8 is, if it performs too well, then it's going to hurt Lamborghini's business.

I think it's a car that's marketed towards those that are looking at 911 Turbos, M6, SL and Maseratis. While the R8 cannot match the 911 in terms of speed, it will offer a more "supercar" look than its competitors. That image is good enough to attract a decent amount of customers in my opinion.

Although there are rumors that Ferrari is planning to bring out a new V8 version of the Dino, based off the F430 platform. It is supposed to be priced around $130k. Now that is going to be serious competitor in the sub-$150k sports car market.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
It's an overpriced performance car. I would rather get a C6 Z06.

Got my 07 Z06 + my Evo ( minus Mods ) for less than the R8 and both are much faster

Although some want luxury and performance in a sports car.

I would spend a few $$ more for a 997tt before I would shell out 110k for an R8. IMO Audi does not have a good reliabilaty record.

Last edited by WhtEvo05; Mar 27, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

for $110k I'd buy a brand new 335i or STI for my daily, and then a C6 Z06 for my weekend toy! Sweet car, but for the money no thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

We will have some testing results on the R8 with tuning from Sportec as soon as I can I will share.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:11 PM
Account Disabled

[quote=WhtEvo05;4136922]Got my 07 Z06 + my Evo ( minus Mods ) for less than the R8 and both are much faster

I would spend a few $$ more for a 997tt before I would shell out 110k for an R8. IMO Audi does not have a good reliabilaty record.[/quote]

In general German luxury cars are not as reliable and durable as their Japanese counterparts. They are also inferior in fit and finish to the Japanese luxury cars.

Last edited by Vigo; Mar 27, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

In general German luxury cars are not as reliable and durable as their Japanese counterparts. They are also inferior in fit and finish to the Japanese luxury cars.[/QUOTE]

I have had a few German cars. Two 911's and a couple of MB's and I have to be honest I never had a problem with them. Normal maintance was expensive but that was a few years ago. I think you may be right the fit and finish in Japanese luxury cars has gotten better. They have caught up to the Germans in the last few years. Although I still like the styling of the German luxury cars over Japanese luxury cars.

One of my buddies works at a multi - Brand dealer that sells MB, Bmw, Audi, Porsche and Honda and he said the quality has gone down on all the German cars in his opinion and he has sold them for over 20 years. In fact after
we went for a very fast test drive in a new 911S he said " Impressed" I said sort of, kinda. It felt nice, tight, handled well. He said you want my advice do yourself a favor and go get that Z06 you have wanted and better yet it will cost you about 10k less than the 911S. I'm happy I did there is no comparision.

I feel the same way about the Audi R8. Overpriced for the performance you get and I don't care that much about luxury.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Vigo;4137105]
Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Got my 07 Z06 + my Evo ( minus Mods ) for less than the R8 and both are much faster

I would spend a few $$ more for a 997tt before I would shell out 110k for an R8. IMO Audi does not have a good reliabilaty record.[/quote]

In general German luxury cars are not as reliable and durable as their Japanese counterparts. They are also inferior in fit and finish to the Japanese luxury cars.
INFERIOR FIT AND FINISH?!? I was actually going to make a real post in this thread until I read that ridiculous statement. Ask anyone who has owned an Audi, they are the world leader in fit/finish/quality of materials used.

*sigh* may as well do this anyway...
...Audi built the R8 as a "halo" car for the brand. They did not build it to compete with anything despite what may be published. The number of R8's is EXTREMELY limited and several US dealers will never even see one due to the cost the dealership has to absorb to be able to sell/service the vehicles. Audi did NOT build the car to sell it (as odd as that sounds). They built it to have a supercar in their stable. Is it expensive? Yes. Are there more performance alternatives? Of course. The R8, much like its sister Gallardo, is considered to be more a grand touring car. The type of supercar you can get in and drive cross country comfortably, in luxury. I (being that I work for Porsche/Audi/Volkswagen) attended the R8/TT launch event in Atlanta and heard all of this first hand and was able to experience the vehicles around Atlanta Motor Speedway. Amazingly comfortable vehicles with amazing top end performance. The R8, like most Audi's (and Porsche's for that matter) is more about high speed performance and the overall driving experience rather than 0-60 and quarter mile performance. How many Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche buyers purchase a vehicle based on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? From my experience in my brand(s) the number is probably less than 5%. What is important to you as Evo owners is not necessarily what supercar owners are looking for. Most people will never even drive the R8 to its potential. Sure they may goose it to drop some panties, but that's about it. As most said, if you're looking at performance for the money then a Porsche 997 GT3 (if you can get one) or a 997 Turbo (more available, plus gives you awd like the R8 would) are more mind bending performance alternatives. I, personally, would be proud to own an R8. AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL car, very limited in production, and the handling is mind boggling.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^exactly^^^^^
A person buying an R8 is not going to think twice about a Z06. At the track last summer the Corvette corral had about 200 Corvettes. People buying the R8 are going to get exclusivity and an astronomically better interior than a Corvette. It is also a GT car that can be easily daily driven. A guy with lots o' $$$ is going to buy an R8 and a Z06 if he wants the best of both worlds.

As for the GT3, my cousin thought he wanted one too and got one. After owning it a few months it was just too much to live with on the streets. The track was the only place where it was really worth driving it. Now he wants something that he can have fun on the track and something that can be daily driven a bit easier. Something like an R8 or 997TT. But he also enjoys his heavily modded STi both on the street and track.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=UpstateEVOVIII;4139600]

INFERIOR FIT AND FINISH?!? I was actually going to make a real post in this thread until I read that ridiculous statement. Ask anyone who has owned an Audi, they are the world leader in fit/finish/quality of materials used.

...Audi built the R8 as a "halo" car for the brand. They did not build it to compete with anything despite what may be published. The number of R8's is EXTREMELY limited and several US dealers will never even see one due to the cost the dealership has to absorb to be able to sell/service the vehicles. Audi did NOT build the car to sell it (as odd as that sounds). They built it to have a supercar in their stable. Is it expensive? Yes. Are there more performance alternatives? Of course. The R8, much like its sister Gallardo, is considered to be more a grand touring car. The type of supercar you can get in and drive cross country comfortably, in luxury. I (being that I work for Porsche/Audi/Volkswagen) attended the R8/TT launch event in Atlanta and heard all of this first hand and was able to experience the vehicles around Atlanta Motor Speedway. Amazingly comfortable vehicles with amazing top end performance. The R8, like most Audi's (and Porsche's for that matter) is more about high speed performance and the overall driving experience rather than 0-60 and quarter mile performance. How many Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche buyers purchase a vehicle based on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? From my experience in my brand(s) the number is probably less than 5%. What is important to you as Evo owners is not necessarily what supercar owners are looking for. Most people will never even drive the R8 to its potential. Sure they may goose it to drop some panties, but that's about it. As most said, if you're looking at performance for the money then a Porsche 997 GT3 (if you can get one) or a 997 Turbo (more available, plus gives you awd like the R8 would) are more mind bending performance alternatives. I, personally, would be proud to own an R8. AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL car, very limited in production, and the handling is mind boggling.
Before you call my post " ridiculous statement" get your facts right.

First off some of what I wrote were Quotes from another post about fit and finish if you look closer.

Audi does have nice fit and interior. I said that Audi doesn't have the best record as far as reliability and especially compared to Bmw and MB. Also resale value is not as good. Lexus leeds the way in fit and finish in all tests I've seen. My friend who has sold all the German brands for over 20+ years would back me on that one as we have talked about it a few times. In fact I almost bought the S4 until I drove the M3 and I'll say no more on that subject.

Like I posted before I happen to like German luxury cars over Japanese luxury.

I'm sure the R8 is a fine auto and for some it would be just what they want. like I said if I were going to spend over 100k I would buy a 997TT instead. Well no I wouldn't I would still buy the Vette.

R8 is just not for me. I prefer my Z06 and my 710whp Evo. I don't care if they aren't " exclusive" . Been there done it and don't care. I like a lot of performance cars period. Some just have more appeal to me than others.

Just my opinion.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

GT3 > R8 imo

too expensive for something that doesnt seem worth it
making educated purchases wouldnt allow for it but hey if you got the duckets
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=UpstateEVOVIII;4139600]

Before you call my post " ridiculous statement" get your facts right.

First off some of what I wrote were Quotes from another post about fit and finish if you look closer.

Audi does have nice fit and interior. I said that Audi doesn't have the best record as far as reliability and especially compared to Bmw and MB. Also resale value is not as good. Lexus leeds the way in fit and finish in all tests I've seen. My friend who has sold all the German brands for over 20+ years would back me on that one as we have talked about it a few times. In fact I almost bought the S4 until I drove the M3 and I'll say no more on that subject.

Like I posted before I happen to like German luxury cars over Japanese luxury.

I'm sure the R8 is a fine auto and for some it would be just what they want. like I said if I were going to spend over 100k I would buy a 997TT instead. Well no I wouldn't I would still buy the Vette.

R8 is just not for me. I prefer my Z06 and my 710whp Evo. I don't care if they aren't " exclusive" . Been there done it and don't care. I like a lot of performance cars period. Some just have more appeal to me than others.

Just my opinion.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchang
With $110k, I'd rather have a GT3.
+1. The R8's profile looks nice, but that "slab" behind the doors is just hideous.