Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Which one?
WRX
11.11%
STi
72.22%
Doesn't matter...
16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

WRX or STi?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of getting a WRX TR with basic bolt ons. I wanted to use it as my daily driver, but I also want it to be quick...not quick like the Evo, but fast enough.

so in other words...would it be a better choice to take the TR with bolt ons over a stock STi?
Old May 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Either one is fine. imo
Old May 6, 2007, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Huge difference. Get the STI
Old May 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotec
It does matter,because the tranny in the WRX is made of glass..
The only reason WRX tranny blowns up is mainly driver error and over TQit. A 5speed WRX tranny can handle up to about 300TQ. One of my friends on his 06' WRX TR on 100oct made 276TQ and the tranny still holds.
Old May 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

2.5L WRX.

The new ones are much, much, MUCH better than previous iterations. It's cheaper too and you said you don't want a car w/ the same power as your IX, so get the new WRX. Just for refrence, throw a headerback exhaust on one and you will beat an STi. Ive seen it, twice. Wish I could post the video, but it's illegal street racing.
Old May 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom W
The only reason WRX tranny blowns up is mainly driver error and over TQit. A 5speed WRX tranny can handle up to about 300TQ. One of my friends on his 06' WRX TR on 100oct made 276TQ and the tranny still holds.
Tom,

I don't concur with you on something. We must make clear that the 02-04 WRX trannys were, are and will be the biggest ambarassing modern automotive industry design in the last few decades.

You wouldn't find a WRX owner that can't complain about:

My car wouldn't go into reverse
My car can't shift to first gear while in a roll over 5mph
My car grinds
My shifter gets stuck when the engine is rev up to red line(shyncro gets physically stuck)
My car broke the transmission with a few bolt ons

I personally broke two transmission with only 255lb/tq but please lets not get there, I still get stomach sick when I think of those $7000 in parts I put on my WRX to only put down 280whp/255lbtq.

The weakest point on the first gen WRX was that horizontal split design of the tranny, it was too long and during hard acceleration the tranny has a tendency to "flex" putting tremedous stress on the internals causing the "butter/crystal "tranny to collapse.

Off course my arguments are hard to beat, at one point just in the USA alone there were thousand of WRX owners with $1400 cash in hand in a 12 month waiting list to get the Spec C RA gears. Numbers speak for itself...

The 2.5l tranny on the WRX were vastly improve, Subaru finally open their eyes and tried to clear their reputation with a beffier tranny to match the newest torquier 2.5l WRX.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 9, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 9, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

MRedition,

The simplest and most efective way to explain the difference between the WRX and the STI is that the STI is the top notch and the WRX is the wannabe.

No budget on a WRX can get you close to what a STI is. We are taklking about 2 different cars:

Brembo brakes
BBS rims
Stickier and wider rims
6 speed
active center Diff
variable timing
HID lights
spoiler
better exhaust
better /beffier transmission
better steering
better seats..just beter everything

It is your choice, you can get the wanabe or you can get the real deal. As a package the STI is hands down cheaper than a WRX.

There was a epidemic of WRX owners that were spending upwards of $10000 just to have the 6 speed tranny and a couple of things and you are still ages aways from a STI.

Get the STI if you can. Don't do the shortcut.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 9, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

STi is much much much better than the WRX. I agree with almost everything fromwrxtoevo has said.

The tranny alone is worth it imo.
Old May 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

^^^Thanks!!. Yep, the STI trannny are known to be shotgun proof, they really can handle torque and whp.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^^Thanks!!. Yep, the STI trannny are known to be shotgun proof, they really can handle torque and whp.

Carlos
i been told it can handle 500TQ easy, about a year ago in turbo mag. the big vally STI was making 720hp and on the stock STI tranny with upgraded axels and driveshaft. me personally i swapping my 5spd to a STI 6spd with brembos and everything. I was just mentioning that the 5spd can handle some power but not alot
Old May 10, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

The people saying the Wrx tranny holds up to power, need to log onto NASIOC and have a look around.

The newer final drive sucks and guys with ecu reflashes or custom tunes and TBE are detonating their trannies. They all cant be from driver error.

The tranny alone in the STI is worth the price difference let alone the better suspension bits.

The only reason why some wrx' are faster in a straight line is because of the gearing
Old May 10, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

^^ agree with you.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

I appriciate all your help and answers guys

I think I'm going to go with the TR though, I mean, it's going to be a daily driver...all I want is for it to look nice, sound nice, and ocassionally peel out on lights I figure, why go into a whoe with the STi, when I can save $7,000 after putting on a few bolt ons?
Old May 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRedition

I think I'm going to go with the TR though, I mean, it's going to be a daily driver...all I want is for it to look nice, sound nice, and ocassionally peel out on lights I figure, why go into a whoe with the STi, when I can save $7,000 after putting on a few bolt ons?

my friend the same one who made 230HP & 276TQ on 100Oct, all he has as of right now is a Gruppe-S coated header, Helix TBE, walbro pump and a APS CAI
he told me he paid 21K OTD and has bought about 2K worth of mods.
Old May 11, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MRedition

That was going to be my reccomendation as well.

Even though having the STi would be nice and it is built more for power then the WRX is, if you arleady have an Evo to build as a weekend warrior there is really no point in having the STi as a daily driver (unless you have extra money to kill).

I have have an 05' STi as my DD/beater and it's got 75K on it already. I will give it to subaru on one thing, it gives me no problems. I do oil changes, and regular maintance and the car is just like the first day i drove it. Other then the few minor mods I have done, I think the only thing I have replaced is one set of tires and i have done brakes.

If you are looking for a nice daily beater that you can drive year round and do a few little mods to, WRX is the way to go.

Quick Reply: WRX or STi?