Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)

Alright well I plan on buying one of the two after I get out of school. The options are:

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera C2 6 Speed (996):

They can be had for $25-30,000 with 40-50,000 miles while needing nothing (maintinence has been kept up with) with a 6 speed gear box.

The PROS:

-It is the legendary 911, the benchmark sports car
-I am told that the build quality on Porsches are so close to the best it's scary
-They have a clean look that is timeless
-They are arguably the best handling cars out there (besides most supercars but damnit you know what I mean)
-Fit and finish is top notch
-Resale value is top notch
-Road feel, communicative steering and bla bla bla is... top notch
-They have nice color options

The CONS:

-I fear the with my aggressive driving style I would break something and it would cost me BIG TIME. I am not talking about driving reckless, doing foolish things but I would drive the car as much as I could, and the way it was meant to be driven... WOT for the on ramps, taking corners hard, and late night road carving etc. Maybe a visit to the strip, probobly not the auto x or road course. All in all I wouldn't be a mid-life crisis like owner with salt and pepper hair that barely ever takes out and just likes to look at it or know it's there while when driving it, drives like a soccer mom in her damn mini-van OH MY GOD I CAN'T STAND those guys in Corvettes, Porsches and what not driving like *****es.

-I don't know a damn thing about how reliable they are, I am told the cars are built extremely well and the motors are strong and bla bla bla but I need that to mean I can drive it like it's meant to be driven without having to worry about regular scheduled services, maintinence and wearable parts replacement

-How expensive ARE these to own? Keep up with etc?

Sounds like a great car if the concerns are put to rest, I like what I hear and it's true.

2001 BMW M3 Coupe 6 Speed:
-

I seem to be able to find these cars for $25,000-30,000 with 30-120k miles on them in 6 Speed Coupe form.

The PROS:

-I love the simplistic yet aggressive styling
-Seems more livable than a 911
-Probobly cheaper to maintain?
-Pretty fast
-Handle very well
-Have some nice color options too
-Smooth
-Again? A more livable car?

The CONS:

-I see so many of them, and it is the better version of an otherwise not to hardcore car
-Styling compared to a 911 says the nice car where as the 911 says the serious car
-I too question breaking expensive things (see 911 cons)
-It seems like the softer of the two, not as sharp in handling and maybe not as fast? Am I wrong?
-I question the driving experience I'd get from it compared to a Porsche
-Shifter is kind of... too slick?
-I don't know what to think this is why I posted this comparison thread.

Tell me your thoughts, opinions experiences... WHATEVER.
Old May 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a newer car unless u have money to waste

both are a pita on maintnence
Old May 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Nice cars but horrible choices for first car out of college. Look into a brand new Civic Si or something similar - unless of course you're banking 70k+ right out of school.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

How mechanical are you? Yes parts are going to cost more on both cars, but if you can do your own labor then you will save a ton of money. The BWM hourly labor rates will probably be slightly lower. Do you like to go on group club drives? You will have one of the best cars among a group of BMW's. If you go with the Porsche group, you will have a car that some of the "purists" think is junk. Personally I wouldn't care what other people think so it's not an issue for me.

Both are reliable cars, but the Porsche will end up costing you more in maintenance. I believe the insurance would probably cost more too. But with that being said, I think the Porsche is the better built car. Both cars are driven by enthusiasts so it is really easy to find help on the Internet with any problems/questions you have. The Porsche also stands out more in a crowd, wherever you drive people will say "you must be rich, you make too much money, did your Dad buy you that, etc" BMWs can get that too, but the common people don't know what an M3 is so they'll assume it's one of those 'cheaper' BMWs.

If it was me I'd probably go with the 911, but I'd probably own a 2nd car to go along with it.
Old May 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

The first 996 engines had some sealing problems...
Search in the Porsche forums about the troubles.

Last edited by evotec; May 14, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I owned two 996's C2 1999 models.. DONT!!! Seriously at this mileage and your way of driving *as per your statement* you'll end up with the dreaded engine seal problem, leak leak leak on the gear box cowl and lube up your clutch disc!

Mechanically they're a PITA to conserve, engine heat problems, loss of power (MAF always dies out), oil issues.. Ok, they're fast (i mean top end speed) but how much will you ever speed over 200km/hr?

Handling is no close to an Evo, they understeer so much you'll have to use special techniques to keep the front tyres loaded.. I've lost to virtually every Evo on the street with my C2..

They 996 is not a porsche icon, the 993 is. The 996 was only better in 2001 when the engine was tuned up and the estethics upgraded..

As for the M3, I never owned one..

Wael
Old May 14, 2007, 11:30 AM

never owned a porsche, but an e46 m3 will not be a fun daily driver. There was something always wrong with ours from window seals to windows not rolling down properly, blah blah blah. It was in the shop every other month which was rediculous. Also the 2001 S54 engines had some issues and the motors were failing, so I would stay away from the 01 models. We had an 01 and our engine was ok. With all that being said, I will probably buy another e46 M3 to add to the garage.
Old May 14, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Get the M3, save up for a real Porsche.
Old May 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lawin
never owned a porsche, but an e46 m3 will not be a fun daily driver. There was something always wrong with ours from window seals to windows not rolling down properly, blah blah blah. It was in the shop every other month which was rediculous. Also the 2001 S54 engines had some issues and the motors were failing, so I would stay away from the 01 models. We had an 01 and our engine was ok. With all that being said, I will probably buy another e46 M3 to add to the garage.
You must have had a lemon. I drive mine like I stole it on a daily basis and have no issues with reliability. Not that you mentioned anything but I've also experienced ZERO oil consumption, even since supercharging.

Also, quite a few, if not all of the S54 motors prior to 2004 had issues with the rod bearings. The repair work is covered under a recall. The recall has been done on my car. I've run mine up to the redline numerous times daily for the last 18K miles with no issues.
Old May 14, 2007, 05:14 PM

Well a 993 isn't out of the question either. I just didn't know if it was a ***** on maintinence and repairs too because it was older. I even thought of an EVO because I always loved them but felt my taste changed and leaned towards more refinement and less boy racer. The EVO is still poking me, hell by then I will be able to buy a brand new X! I always thought that modded EVO's are HORRIBLE on gas.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Its 2001 S54s that had the rod bearing recall, not 01-04. I have 20 or more good friends with 02+ m3's and not one of them has had a rod bearing problem. Check out e46fanatics or m3forum, I think you will find 02+ rod bearing issues QUITE rare.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

The E36 will be a harder to brake unless you bang it up...
Old May 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

The E36 will be a harder to brake unless you bang it up...
Old May 18, 2007, 12:33 AM

alot of Porsche's are indestructable
Old May 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest staying away from the 01 M3's. If you want the newer model, get at least a late 2002 model.
As mentioned, they had a few problems, and my good friend had a early 2002 and it was in the shop a lot getting recalls performed. His never broke, but he got rid of it prior to the maintenance expiring. He did trade for an 05 M3 SMG; so he liked the ride.

You can find a late 02 or 2003 model for < $35k if you look hard. I'd suggest that over the porsche because of the upkeep alone.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 vs. 911 (996)