Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

BMW 335I making extra 100whp/126lbtq with a tune

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
IF you shaved the weight down to about 3200lbs. It's physically impossible to make a 3600lb car trap 116-117mph with 380whp (dynojet). It's as simple as power:weight, F=ma, there's no getting around the laws of nature.

Using 3600lbs and 380whp, I'd guess it'd be close to 112mph give or take a couple. But not 116! Well, maybe if it's really cold and a 20mph tail wind.
I think is doable. If my Evo can trap almost 115mph with just 300whp (around 330-335 dynojet), a 335 with 50 additional whp should overcome the extra 400 lbs.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gave in and bought a 335i sedan. I traded in my 05 Audi S4 for it yesterday. I so far really lik this car, it's power, and it's handeling. I can't wait to mod it and get squeeze the power out. Updates and pic to follow probably in another thread.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dam impressive.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I like the 335i, will be picking one up myself before too much longer.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

actually the evo ix is about 50.000 euros and the 335 is about 65.000 euros.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Man I really want this car. BMW quality with boost and tons of potential.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlunchbox
I gave in and bought a 335i sedan. I traded in my 05 Audi S4 for it yesterday. I so far really lik this car, it's power, and it's handeling. I can't wait to mod it and get squeeze the power out. Updates and pic to follow probably in another thread.

Congrats indeed. Did you get the super worthy and affordable Sport packge?
Not being sarcastic but you get so much on this package that you just can't say no:

18" rims with wider tires in the back
Sport tune suspension (lowered car,stiffer sway bars)
electric sport seats with side boolters 8 way adjustable with 2 memory
Oil cooler
top speed limiter increased

I love this car, I made a 102 miles trip from Phoenix to Tucson(one way) and the fuel gauge is still above 3/4 of a tank, I did the trip at 80mph with A/C.. you will soon know excatly what I mean

Carlos
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Just got the news via forum and via European magazine that the tuner Teknic has a GT35R turbokit in advance stage of release. Torque is above 500 lb/tq with minimal mods.

I have to get back to you guys with this issue because I only have bit and pieces of information but it looks very promising project.

Imagine a GT35R with this set up:

feed by 6 cylinders
Feed by all cylinders in the same bank (6 in line)
decent displacement engine perhaps faster spool up
Bi-vanos engine which dramatically will enhance the spool up of this car in all rpms

Just in case someone is lost, the Bi -Vanos BMW system is an all time/all rpm range variable system similar to the MIVEC on the Evo 9 with the exception that it works for intake and exhaust and it works all the time(unlike Mivec or VTEC). Things get better and better by the day.

Carlos
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed the PROcede last night and I am very happy. Minus I don't get very much traction. I also raced a M3 on a private driveway and spanked it. I really do love this car. Although, I threw a code mid-race and it went into limp mode for like 5 mins. Not sure what it was so I am calling Shiv today. It really didn't matter at that point because I was already 5 cars ahead. This car is a very much a sleeper. That poor M3 owner....LOL

WRXtoEvo- I did get the sports package...
Old Jul 12, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

The 335I is fast becoming an appealing vehicle to me, one that I'm going to definitely consider buying along with the X.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm actually not impressed with the power the 335i makes. It SHOULD be making that sort of power. Are people forgetting it is a 3.0L TWIN TURBO? Think of the Supra. Supra's make astounding power like this with bolt-ons and they were out 14 years ago.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I'm actually not impressed with the power the 335i makes. It SHOULD be making that sort of power. Are people forgetting it is a 3.0L TWIN TURBO? Think of the Supra. Supra's make astounding power like this with bolt-ons and they were out 14 years ago.
I understand your reservations..

In response to your comments I would start first saying that the car is conservatively rated at 300hp while all over the dynos this car is making a equivalent to 335-340hp crank.

You can talk about Supra and I can say that the 86-92 Supra turbo was the shame of the industry. I really don't know of any other sport car that made only 30hp extra by adding a turbo and a intercooler over their NA model.

For a NA Supra you use to get 200hp and for a single Turbo Supra you make 230hp..talking about impressing? Yes, I know you were not refering to the last gen Supra but I am just throwing some spice to the conversation.

Yes, you are correct, the Supra put a decent bench mark as far is power but to my standards nothing out of the ordinary either.

I still have to show you guys the video that I have been refering to for almost 6-8 weeks but I haven't been able to show you yet. This video shows how the engine of the 335i was built.

BMW engineering team tried many turbo configurations and they made montrous power and torque with mid size turbos and at the end all this huge power and torque had to be compromised for the simple fact that BMW ideology/marketing policy they did not want to be associated with turbolag therefore they chose a tiny set of turbos (37mm intake compressor wheels).

We are talking about the same manufacturer that created the fastest production car for over a decade(McLaren), we are talking about the same manufacturer that was making 100hp/l in the mid 80 with their m3 and later on compiting in power with their mid 90 M-3 aganist the twin turbo Supras.

It is very obvious that BMW is much more capable of making insane power out of the box, they are already doing that on their NA cars so what would make anyone think they aren't capable of doing it?

If they did not care about turbolag and indirectly about gas mileage and emission I would certainly promise they could had done a much better job.

I only could really get credit for half of your question. If I can download the video that I once saw I will definately shut a lot of mouths, people would not doubt anymore on why BMW made a conservative 330-340hp twin turbo engine..

Peace.

Carlos
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO

Another thing. Do you know that perhaps 80% of the cars made in Europe make more HP/l than 99.9% of the cars made in America?.

I never in my life got impressed with the power of a Z06, Viper, Mustang, Camaro and any of the big block for that matter. Any low model class European or Japanese car makes tons more power per liter plus gets much better gas mileage.

In this industry you always have to be very subjective with the topics. Can you imkagine a Dodge Viper with a 2.0liter? Uhmm, in Europe they had cars making 165-170 hp in the early 80's on their N/A.(Peugeot 309 16 valve, Citroen BX GTI16 valves, Opel Kadett 2.0l 16valves.

That was a walk in the park for any European car maker, now we have to listen to the cockyness of Dodge, Chevrolet or Ford just because they have created a 500hp monster?

Dodge is bragging about a 510hp car Viper.. WOW , what a challenge.. how much displacement does it take to create 510hp? 8.3liters?

and how about the Vette Z06? 505hp with a 7.0l? WOW, that is really difficult
Look at any European car magazine and see the specs, 80% of the cars will surpass the hp/l of a 07 C6 Z06.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 12, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Thanks Sergio, that is probably one of the nicest things you have said so far(the power gains per dollar). Yeah, the 1/4 mile times I wouldn't say they are bad but i would say that I am expecting an improvement shortly.

This improvement I hope to see it in the form of better drivers, more drivers taking their BMW to the track, new software and perhaps someone slaping a raer LSD.

That was just on the 335i department, I have all my money put on the new AWD 335i and the upcoming 135i (Twin turbo). If they ever release a AWD 135 Twin turbo you can then say that the Evo has a serious competitor on the 1/4 mile.

Carlos
awd or not, I'm def looking into getting that 135
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
awd or not, I'm def looking into getting that 135

and I already congratulate you because you will be very very happy with this car. You would not be dissapointed at all. This car will offer you a lot for such value/package. You can't go wrong with this car. I highly encourage you to drive the Steptronic model, it is worth its price in gold(gas mielage wise/performance wise and comfort)

Carlos

Quick Reply: BMW 335I making extra 100whp/126lbtq with a tune