Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

BMW 335I making extra 100whp/126lbtq with a tune

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlunchbox
Installed the PROcede last night and I am very happy. Minus I don't get very much traction. I also raced a M3 on a private driveway and spanked it. I really do love this car. Although, I threw a code mid-race and it went into limp mode for like 5 mins. Not sure what it was so I am calling Shiv today. It really didn't matter at that point because I was already 5 cars ahead. This car is a very much a sleeper. That poor M3 owner....LOL

WRXtoEvo- I did get the sports package...
IS anyone datalogging their cars to actually see what they're doing? Is it even possible yet to see what is going on?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Machroon,

I actually understood your comment even in such sarcastic and unique way. I definately follow your logic, it was in fact a great analogy is you ask me.

carlos
Old Jul 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
IS anyone datalogging their cars to actually see what they're doing? Is it even possible yet to see what is going on?
Edmunds and C&D already run tests before and after the installation of the PROcede on 335s (version 1.45) and the big hp/tq gains (45whp/60rwtq) did not translate at the track as expected: .3 sec and 3mph improvement (13.3 @ 106mph vs. 13.0 @ 109). There're great expectations among BMW enthusiast with PROcede's latest version (2.0) which makes about 100whp and 120rwtq.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

I am not talking about time for the car, I am talking about knock sums, timing, etc.

To actually see what the car is doing.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

There are a few doing that. One in particular came up with this own map clamp that works EXACTLY like another product that everybody trusts because it costs $500. They say the homemade clamp will blow your car up b/c it only costs $5, when the guy w/ the homemade one is about the only person on the forum who logged his car (and about the only one who could decipher the logs as well) in order to set how much boost to raise (he went up 2 on 91 octane, most he could add before the ECU would begin to pull timing).

BMW people are freaking retarded, this forum is like talking to a bunch of PhD's after coming from the E90 boards
Old Jul 14, 2007, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by A418t81
There are a few doing that. One in particular came up with this own map clamp that works EXACTLY like another product that everybody trusts because it costs $500. They say the homemade clamp will blow your car up b/c it only costs $5, when the guy w/ the homemade one is about the only person on the forum who logged his car (and about the only one who could decipher the logs as well) in order to set how much boost to raise (he went up 2 on 91 octane, most he could add before the ECU would begin to pull timing).

BMW people are freaking retarded, this forum is like talking to a bunch of PhD's after coming from the E90 boards
The only reason I ask, is because when I finally logged my car there were like 12-16 counts of knock in the upper rpms, and the timing advance was set so high that the ECU couldn't decrement timing enough because my tune wanted to push the timing.

In defense of the tuner, I will say that I was runner plugs that were 1.5 heat ranges colder when he tuned it, but I don't think running warmer plugs can account for that much knock, can it?

I learn more every day, and will start datalogging my car here shortly.

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan, "Trust, but verify."

These Bimmer guys seem to just trust the tune without actually doing any investigative work to see what the heck is really going on.

Datalogging > "My butt dyno says it's fast."
Old Jul 14, 2007, 06:47 PM

With procede you can actually log. The problem is most BMW owners know nothig about turbos, timing tables. or tuning for that matter.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

So, the Procede can log knock counts?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

The problem is that the vast majority don't understand what the logs mean or anything. You can tell them there's no timing pull, but they don't understand that means the ECU is "happy." Most don't log because the have no clue

And the procede's 'datalogging" is basically nothing. Its datalogging what the procede is doing, no engine parameters other than load and rpm.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by A418t81
And the procede's 'datalogging" is basically nothing. Its datalogging what the procede is doing, no engine parameters other than load and rpm.
That's what I thought...pretty similar to an XEDE. You can tell what the interceptor is doing, but not what the engine is doing.

Is there a simple way to datalog the engine?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Old thread bump.
Selling or trading in my Evo tomorrow morning, depending what the prospective buyer decides. I ordered a 335i white sedan manual 6 speed with sport package. The car is due to arrive during the third week of September. PROcede will be going in as soon as the break in miles are over.

I'll miss the IX a ton, but I'm a 34 year old dad, have been in Evos since 03, and its time to try something different.

I really hope to see you former Evo owners over at E90post and keep in touch with my 4G63 fam.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

Noize,
Understand your decision... I'm 35 and looking to pickup a 335xi coupe (yeah they announced it for the 08MY) as a daily driver and of course keep the Evo as a race car. Good luck with the 335i I have a friend that just picked up his 335i convertible a couple days ago (110miles on it now) and he says it is killing him to keep the revs below 4200rpm for the first 1200miles. Enjoy...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm 36, and still loving the Evo. Actually, I think my next car is the Cadillac CTS-V if it comes supercharged (highway fun machine).

However, it will be interesting when more Evo owners migrate to the 335i platform and are familiar with datalogging, etc. and expect tunes to not be "Top Secret."

I was talking to a 335i owner who used to have an Evo, and he said that BMW ECU is "locked" and that timing and fuel can't be messed with too much...just boost. Have no idea if this is true, but he was familiar with both the XEDE (AA) and Procede (Vishnu).
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I would almost trade my car for the 135i
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NOIZE,

Congrats on your sedan Sport package. It is difficult to explain to any other Evo owner how competitive the BMW is unless you actually go for a tes drive or someone gives you a ride.

It is not a surprise to me to see so many Evo owners choosing the BMW as an alternative car to replace the Evo. Don't get me wrong, who does not like a Evo, it is a raw performance car but for those that test drove a 335i they were sold on the first test drive.

This car is so addicting that now many tuners are just buying the cars straight up, plain and simple(ultimate racing has one, Vividracing has one, Mynes performance has one,Vishnu has one and I am usre there are other tuners out there with one.

Anyways, I highly suggest that whenever you are tired of your Evo for X or Y reason to please go and take a 335i for a test drive, you will be hard pressed to find a car like that with soo many pros.

Carlos

Quick Reply: BMW 335I making extra 100whp/126lbtq with a tune