Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

how are mini coopers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how are mini coopers?

lol i just the italian job dvd that i borrowed from my friend and for some reason on teh car is looking pretty good, doe this car have any potential? how is teh cooper s and how much hp does it has? it it underpowered?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mini.com
miniusa.com

Good cars with potential. They handle like go-karts obviously. I always see a guy that has one up at the street races. He has a HUGE supercharger and intercooler upgrade on his, but I've never seem him run it. I'm sure it is hella fast because they are so light.

Anyhow, they are nice, but expensive for what you get if you buy one brand new. If you mod it tastefully, it could be awesome.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerES
lol i just the italian job dvd that i borrowed from my friend and for some reason on teh car is looking pretty good, doe this car have any potential? how is teh cooper s and how much hp does it has? it it underpowered?

Good cars for handling. The R53 engine has a fully forged block and rods but not forged pistons. If you can swapp the piston they can handle a lot of boost.

In late 04 or also refered as 05 they made some significant changes to the engine. They offered the John cooper S supercharger standard on the 05 and also they re addressed the gearing and made the gearing shorter. All that combined with a ECU remapp made the car feels significantly faster. The best times per a car magazine on the R53 Cooper S was a 14.8@95 which is really good. People that had a 03-04 and went to a 05 mentioned that the changes on the 05 feel like a 40hp increase even though the "manufacturer claims" were a mere 5hp.

Definately the gearing made a big change, before the gearing was very very tall on the mini making the car not that good for accelerations from a roll.

Stay the hell away from mini variable automatic transmission, it was so bad that MiNI decided that it did not fullfill the spirit of a sport car and decided to not offer it anymore. It was slugish as hell.

They do not do so good at the track though. You must get a FLSD to make the car decently competitive.

The new Mini cooper S are turbocharger and some tuners already extrated nearly 30hp with a full exhaust. Turbo lag is inexsistent on the new Turbo minis.

Go to mini2.com for more info. Also check out minimania

My best friend had a Mini cooper S modded , he is a member of this forum, send him as PM. (Evofunk) Sergio

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 24, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Did you guys know that Mini engine is made from Chrysler? I know a lot of people thinks that BMW makes the engine, but BMW doesn not have a 4 cylinder engine anymore so it's cost BMW time and money to R&D a 4 cylinder.

I heard that the new Mini is going to be turbocharged and it's finally going to be BMW that's building the engine.

But I have to tell you guys this one SUPER bullsh!t story. I play badminton and there's this couple at the gym that claim that they're Mini S costed $40K. Even the John Works Mini doesn't cost that much.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvbf1
Did you guys know that Mini engine is made from Chrysler? I know a lot of people thinks that BMW makes the engine, but BMW doesn not have a 4 cylinder engine anymore so it's cost BMW time and money to R&D a 4 cylinder.

I heard that the new Mini is going to be turbocharged and it's finally going to be BMW that's building the engine.

But I have to tell you guys this one SUPER bullsh!t story. I play badminton and there's this couple at the gym that claim that they're Mini S costed $40K. Even the John Works Mini doesn't cost that much.
Where have you been bro? Mini started selling the Mini cooper S turbo a few months ago.

As per the price, they can reach mid 30's with a few options specially if you are talking about the John Cooper S or the convertible it is in fact very feasible to get close to $40k if you put the optional factory BBS rims that cost like $2400 from the factory, then leather, then LSD, then navigation system etc, etc

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 24, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The mini is a very fun/good handling car. With a few mods, it's pretty fast too. Mini's on hoosiers clean up in stock class SCCA auto-x.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

I auto-x a cooper s defintely a fun car

although when I drove it , I felt I was in a micromachine car lol
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

one of my friend just bought a brand new '07 mini turbocharged. And they SUCK.... I took him for a ride in my EVO, and wished he should of bought an EVO.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

A total waste of 28-30k
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TunerES

Get an EVO. You'll be satisfied.....
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by J-ROC
Get an EVO. You'll be satisfied.....
this is one of the reaons im considering diff. cars., i cannot afford an evo due to inurance and i will only be 18 if i get it.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

very nice cars...FUNNNN to drive.... but they are just too "cute" for my taste.

that was the #1 reason i sold my 01 turbo bug after 3 years and just a little under 5,000 miles
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

I love Mini's. Especially in black. Theres so much stuff you can do to individualize yours as well. I hear Shiv is working on a Xede tune for it too. Should be interesting with some tuneability and some bolt ons. If you can get 250ish hp on the stock turbo on that thing, itll prob haul ***.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

The new minis are awesome great handling cars!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J-ROC
one of my friend just bought a brand new '07 mini turbocharged. And they SUCK.... I took him for a ride in my EVO, and wished he should of bought an EVO.
I went from a 03 Mini Cooper S (210bhp Digi-Tec kit) to my actual Evo. Straight line performance wise, the Mini can't touch the Evo. Handling wise, the Mini is superior despite being fwd.

New Minis aren't that slow. They pack a tiny 1.6 liter turbocharged 172bhp engine, good for high 14's @ 95mph, not bad at all.

Quick Reply: how are mini coopers?