Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E. Haskell
But is a Lingenfelter Corvette really "modified"? They come with a 3yr/36k mile warranty so as far as I'm concerned it's a stock "Lingenfelter Corvette" until someone modifies beyond Lingenfelter's specs.
Just like the FQ Evo models or any of the race prepped muscle cars of the 70's. Sort of-not really stock.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately we aren't car and driver and we haven't driven 1001 different Porsches
and Vettes. i think that they know what they're talking about.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Tuners
Vettes = no traction too much torque and wrongly biased weight balance
Yeah, the 51/49 weight balance is horrible!

Too much torque...
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by yoda
I like how Porsche can build a wee little flat six that is competitive with a gargantuan humongous 7 liter pushrod V8. I can understand Evo owners favoring the Porsche because both cars have smaller engines that can compete with much larger displacement.
At what cost though? Displacement, generally speaking, doesn't add significant cost or weight. Increasing output from a small engine typically costs a lot of money. From a manufacturing standpoint, if packaging isn't a huge issue, it's much cheaper to make a 6.0 L 400 HP engine than it is to make a 3.6L 400 HP engine. What makes the latter any better? The output is similar (less torque, if anything), it cost more to make, and the steps necessary to make that output will typically result in a shorter life and/or more expensive repairs.

Comparing a boosted engine to a normally aspirated one is a bit different.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by LJtech06
Push rods actually have advantages over overhead cams..with the pushrod the cam is directly above the crank..allowing for alot more accurate timing changes at rpms and alowing for chain driven timing more reliable then belt timing
Pushrod engines are also lighter.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:32 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by Mines Evo IX
I would take a porsche over a corvette anyday.
What if you had to pay for it though?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by BIG3_ETR
there will always be a debate over what car is better, 997TT or Z06. it's like asking somebody would you rather have a big mac or a steak at morton's. i'm sure some people would rather have the big mac. but having owned both cars and being intimately knowledgeable with each, i simply prefer to eat the steak at morton's. But i still need a big mac every now and then. The Z06 is a fantastic car, but i think the 997tt is in another class. i enjoy both for what they are.
From a performance perspective, the GT3 is really the better comparison. And frankly, if I had the means to truly compare them, it'd be a very hard choice.

The 997TT is moved into luxury-coupe territory, IMO. It competes more with a car like the Vantage or SL class.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
awr
Evolving Member

the corvet still looks like a wedge of cheese ugly as f and still american built and remember just how fast an evo iswith that same amount of hp
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by awr
the corvet still looks like a wedge of cheese ugly as f and still american built and remember just how fast an evo iswith that same amount of hp

Any 3300 lb car with 500 HP is going to be pretty comparable speed wise, up to a point (~80-100 MPH) when aero takes over. And the Z06 > Evo in the aero department.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly

Any 3300 lb car with 500 HP is going to be pretty comparable speed wise, up to a point (~80-100 MPH) when aero takes over. And the Z06 > Evo in the aero department.
Good job WSB, you made every point I wanted to make already. For weight distribution, have these guys never heard of the rear transaxle? That moved a great deal of weight to the rear end. And it's not like a Porsche has some perfect weight distribution. Remember, the engine and the tranny are in the rear and the engine is actually behind the wheels which is possibly the worst place to put it as far as handling goes. But Porsche makes it work.

I'm a true Porsche fan and I even owned a 911 Turbo but as a car guy I can appreciate the C6 Vettes especially the Z06. I'm impressed that an actual American production car broke the 500 hp mark and I'm impressed with the great deal of exotic materials used such as carbon fiber and titanium.

And as for the illiterate guy who apparently did not like the looks of the C6- That is all a matter of opinion, but please remember, your Evo is not considered the best looking car on the road today. I can't remember too many non car people complimenting the way my Evo looked. As a matter of fact, I can't remember anyone other than car guys that liked it. My neighbors and co-workers all thought it was an ugly ricer car.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awr
Looks are subjective, and DUH!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:09 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by Max-Q
Good job WSB, you made every point I wanted to make already. For weight distribution, have these guys never heard of the rear transaxle? That moved a great deal of weight to the rear end. And it's not like a Porsche has some perfect weight distribution. Remember, the engine and the tranny are in the rear and the engine is actually behind the wheels which is possibly the worst place to put it as far as handling goes. But Porsche makes it work.
The 911 actually has one of the worst weight balances of any car on the market, somewhere in the vicinity of 39/61, but Porsche has gradually evolved the design to make it work. Having one of the heaviest parts of the car (engine/tranny/exhaust/emissions controls) behind the rear axle is not a good practice.

I'm a true Porsche fan and I even owned a 911 Turbo but as a car guy I can appreciate the C6 Vettes especially the Z06. I'm impressed that an actual American production car broke the 500 hp mark and I'm impressed with the great deal of exotic materials used such as carbon fiber and titanium.
The LS7 really is a fantastic motor.

And as for the illiterate guy who apparently did not like the looks of the C6- That is all a matter of opinion, but please remember, your Evo is not considered the best looking car on the road today. I can't remember too many non car people complimenting the way my Evo looked. As a matter of fact, I can't remember anyone other than car guys that liked it. My neighbors and co-workers all thought it was an ugly ricer car.
It is...
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Lets not forget the Corvettes ALUMINUM old technology pushrod V8 weighs LESS then the Evo's turbo four cylinder
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Thats funny there are a lot of people over on the Corvetteforums who are also
" intimately knowledgeable" with both brands, that own and race both brands and who own multable cars such as yourself that give as you say " big mac" the thumbs up to the Z06 in every category with the exception of maybe the interior which as you know you can upgrade with the 08 Z06.

I drove the 977TT and the GT3 before I bought my Z06 and I would have to disagree with your evaluation of the two brands/models. For one thing I like the GT3 better than the 977TT and also I have raced two 997TTs with the Z06 and the results were the same with the Z pulling away on the P-car.

I'm not married to a brand as you can see by my signature but I do expect the new GTR to also be very competitive with the 997TT with the ability to be more easily modified to be a world class performer. I also think the new SS Corvette with be a world beater in the supercar arena. Thats why I have a deposit on one.

I use to be a real German fanboy and drove P-cars, BMWs and MBs but lately I see luxuray branding in a different light. Some of it's for real and yoiu get what you pay for some is just an image that has been established by marketing and over pricing that people view as upscale, luxury, exclusive etc. but doesn't always deliver what you pay for other than the image... I'm in the business of "luxury branding" and I'm not to often fooled by it.

Porsche makes great cars but I do see as with most German brands a little overpricing for what you get. Same with the French in other industry's such as personal care products and wine for example.

I do however love the Porsche GT though and good luck with it
Just my opinion. To big macs - cheers . as you can see from my sigs i like whoppers and wendys as well.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one thing good about the corvette it is a little more disposable than a big number Porsche.
I know the big buck Porsche is faster than my car at the track, but he is a little more careful of his very desirable car than I am in an evo. The Corvette would be a bigger bite but it is still same idea.

Quick Reply: '08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!