Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E. Haskell starting another US vs. the world thread..
Old Aug 11, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
E. Haskell starting another US vs. the world thread..
I'm just quoting what Road and Track had to say about the Corvette. If you view a thread about the Corvette as being "US vs. the world" I can't help you.

The Corvette is arguably the best bang for the buck performance car available - who cares where it's built.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

the zo6 was a ground up different build then the base vette. aluminum sub frame etc. i'm glad they closed the gap with porsche. the new zo6 is an absolute beast, americans should be proud we swing it out with the big boys.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BIG3_ETR
Just my opinion. To big macs - cheers . as you can see from my sigs i like whoppers and wendys as well.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Golly gee, cry me a river!

Yes, Lingenfelter takes the car and totally reworks everything. Would you consider a new Ruf Porsche to be a stock car? The German government does seeing as they recognize Ruf as manufacturer (granted they make some of their own parts). While technically, Lingenfelter's cars are modified cars much like Hennessey Vipers - they share little in common with factory cars (aside from the chassis) can be bought pre-built, and come with a warranty.

I'll take random obvious statements for $500, Alex. Were you planning on completing that incomplete sentence? Regardless, I never mentioned if exclusivity matters to me or not.

So you do care? Which spare parts are used for Lingenfelter Corvettes? I'm anxious to know. An exotic automobile connoisseur such as yourself should surely know.

BTW - stop trying to tell me what people spending $120k+ on car desire. From the way it sounds, you aren't one of them.
Wow. Took your "I desperately want to be a smart *** but I fail at life" pill that day didnt you.

Cry me a river?? About what exactly? Its not even complaining. You can comprehend things you read right?

No. I do not consider RUF a manufacturers car. This is America you dope, so I could honestly care less what the German government considers a factory car. The German government probably considers about 1000 other cars "factory" cars. But guess what. They are not sold in America. So this in and of itself makes your entire point here, (if there really was one) a poor one.

Oh and LF uses a Corvette doesn't it? Corvette is made of spare parts bin parts, and cheap gaudy materials. Its not like LF replaces the entire interior with a better preformed dash, and all kinds of other crap. It's still a Corvette. What your saying is basically this.

A person could buy an Srt-4. Put a better suspension, turbo kit, tuning, wheels, tires, and replace the seats and SUDDENLY the Srt is a better all around car than the Evo. Sure it might be able to handle as well, and it has more straight line power, but which one would YOU rather own. I mean that is what your saying right. The lesser, cheaper car can be made faster and better than the more expensive car.

Its a Porsche man. It's not a matter of debate. Do you think they cost so much because they arent in some way superior automobiles. People grow up dreaming of buying a Porsche 911 TT. Most will never attain it.

Which brings us back to my comment about exclusivity. I'm sorry. Where you for some reason confused by this? Its pretty simple when you think about it. This is where reading comprehension > you. Statement: People pay 130k for exclusivity. They buy a 130k Porsche because of exclusivity. It's the same reason why people who aren't motorsports purists buy cars like that. Not every Tom, Dick, and Jane on the block can afford a 130k for a car. The person who spent the 130k for the Porsche however could have easily bought either, and he picked the Porsche for one reason. If your too stupid to understand what that one reason is, then thats YOUR problem.

No. If I owned a 130k Porshe I could probably give two ****s about some ******* in a Corvette thinking he was hot ****. Because I could have bought almost three Vettes for that price. Once again. Exclusivity. Wow. There is that word again. Funny how it just pops up out of nowhere. Exclusivity. Hey, there it goes again.

Lastly. This is a car forum. No one gives to flying ****s about grammer, and proper punctuation. If I gave a crap about that. I would go to http://www.peoplewhoareonlineandgive...ikegrammer.com
or
http://www.peoplewhocareaboutgrammer...sareidiots.com
or
http://www.icouldntthinkofsomethings...ourgrammer.com
Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
Oh and LF uses a Corvette doesn't it? Corvette is made of spare parts bin parts, and cheap gaudy materials. Its not like LF replaces the entire interior with a better preformed dash, and all kinds of other crap. It's still a Corvette. What your saying is basically this.
The Corvette shares very few parts with anything in the GM stable, engine and tranny aside (which are probably the best parts on it, anyway). Not saying they're all good parts, though.

A person could buy an Srt-4. Put a better suspension, turbo kit, tuning, wheels, tires, and replace the seats and SUDDENLY the Srt is a better all around car than the Evo. Sure it might be able to handle as well, and it has more straight line power, but which one would YOU rather own. I mean that is what your saying right. The lesser, cheaper car can be made faster and better than the more expensive car.
That's the argument most people use for the Evo when compared to every other superior performing car. Double standard much? A cheaper car can always be made to match a more expensive car's performance, though often at great cost.

Its a Porsche man. It's not a matter of debate. Do you think they cost so much because they arent in some way superior automobiles. People grow up dreaming of buying a Porsche 911 TT. Most will never attain it.

Which brings us back to my comment about exclusivity. I'm sorry. Where you for some reason confused by this? Its pretty simple when you think about it. This is where reading comprehension > you. Statement: People pay 130k for exclusivity. They buy a 130k Porsche because of exclusivity. It's the same reason why people who aren't motorsports purists buy cars like that. Not every Tom, Dick, and Jane on the block can afford a 130k for a car. The person who spent the 130k for the Porsche however could have easily bought either, and he picked the Porsche for one reason. If your too stupid to understand what that one reason is, then thats YOUR problem.

No. If I owned a 130k Porshe I could probably give two ****s about some ******* in a Corvette thinking he was hot ****. Because I could have bought almost three Vettes for that price. Once again. Exclusivity. Wow. There is that word again. Funny how it just pops up out of nowhere. Exclusivity. Hey, there it goes again.
You seem to be the only one here who values exclusivity over all else. Personally, I don't care about exclusivity. The 911 GT3 is an awesome car that I'd love to have, but not because it's a Porsche or because nobody else on my block has one. What's the value in that? My friends and acquaintances who own P-cars never include exclusivity as a reason for buying, either. Just the performance and driving enjoyment.

The reality is that the Z06 offers comparable/superior performance for about 2/3 of the cost of a 911TT. If the only thing I gain by spending 50% more is exclusivity, I'll take the less expensive option every time.

Wow. Took your "I desperately want to be a smart *** but I fail at life" pill that day didnt you.

Cry me a river?? About what exactly? Its not even complaining. You can comprehend things you read right?

Lastly. This is a car forum. No one gives to flying ****s about grammer, and proper punctuation. If I gave a crap about that. I would go to http://www.peoplewhoareonlineandgive...ikegrammer.com
or
or
Easy on the subtle attacks, chief. Make your point (if you have one) and leave the person out of it.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

No. I do not consider RUF a manufacturers car. This is America you dope, so I could honestly care less what the German government considers a factory car.
Before you start calling people names and showing off your geography skills - you may want to do a little research.
Developments continued at an increasing pace and in 1987 the newest RUF high speed sports car, the CTR, received its certification for normal road use. This incredible car, a 469 bhp twin turbo coupé, exceeded the top speed world record for production cars on the Nardo Racetrack at a rate of 342 km/h!! It was at the time, and still today, a truly astonishing pace. In addition, this same year RUF Automobile GmbH became an approved manufacturer with the U.S. authorities for safety and emissions (NHTSA and EPA).
http://www.rufautocentre.com/about/history.asp

It appears RUF is also recognized as an automaker in the US also.

The German government probably considers about 1000 other cars "factory" cars. But guess what. They are not sold in America. So this in and of itself makes your entire point here, (if there really was one) a poor one.
Do they really?
Recognizing that one of the weaknesses of the Porsche turbo was its four speed transmission, RUF Automobile responded to customer demand in 1981 with their own five speed. It provided distinct performance advantages and driving pleasure for the owners of the turbo charged six cylinder engine. In the same year RUF Automobile received the prestigious and coveted Manufactures' Certification from the German Federal Vehicle Offices.
It doesn't sound like a manufacturers' certifation is something freely given out to just anyone.

FYI - Ruf automobiles are sold in America: http://www.rufautocentre.com/

Oh and LF uses a Corvette doesn't it? Corvette is made of spare parts bin parts, and cheap gaudy materials.
Can you tell us which Corvette interior pieces come from the parts bin?

A person could buy an Srt-4. Put a better suspension, turbo kit, tuning, wheels, tires, and replace the seats and SUDDENLY the Srt is a better all around car than the Evo.
What point are you trying to make? I never said a Lingenfelter Corvette was better than anything. Regardless, "better" is very subjective word. I would also wouldn't expect an automobile modified by an individual to contain the same degree of engineering as one built by a company such as Lingenfelter. I would expect one of LPE's vehicles to have parts that work flawlessly together, have been through tons of durability testing, are backed by a warranty, and could be driven for 100k+ miles with nothing but basic maintenance. This is one of the reasons a person is paying such a hefty price compared to modifying a Corvette themselves.

And some people can afford Porsches AND Corvettes. For many they aren't picking one or the other. Maybe you should check out Corvetteforums.com - many people there have owned or currently own BOTH. Believe it or not....some like Corvettes just as good as Porsches.

I believe exclusivity plays too big of a role in your perspective, thus clouding your judgement. You make it seem like people spending $130k on a car have been saving their nickles for 40 years and must pick which SINGLE vehicle they want to spend the rest of their life with. That simply isn't the case. Look around at some of the people who have $130k+ vehicles - they usually have a revolving fleet of exotic vehicles and a hefty disposable income. It's not uncommon to see a Ferrari owner with something like a EVO, Elise or base Corvette in their stable (cars even the average person can afford). Many of these people simply recognize an awesome vehicle when they see it - regardless of exclusivity. Maybe, just maybe - some cars can be "cool" regardless of how expensive or inexpensive they may be.

With that said, I definately wouldn't say an LPE Corvette lacks exclusivity.

You sound immature.....

or
or
Case in point.

Last edited by E. Haskell; Aug 14, 2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think he is equating exclusivity to quality and in a way he is right. A Covette is VERY common and it's build quality/refinement is lacking especially in comparison to a Porsche. It is the whole Quality Vs. Quantity arguement.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

I can only comment on the two cars that I have alot of experience with and that's the C6 Z06 and Porsche Cayman S. I've driven both vehicles on the road and track, and I would take the Cayman over the vette in a heartbeat.

I did read this article recently, and I hope for chevy's sake it's true. That's really the only thing missing from the vette, steering feedback. It's seems like such a silly thing to screw up too. I'm excited to get behind the wheel of one and see.

Also some people brought up build quality, which I'd like to comment on also. The first day I took my fathers Z06 to Motor Sports Ranch, with him in the passengers seat, I cracked the block. This was only pushing the car 7/10ths or so because I was scaring the crap out of him. Ever since we had the motor replaced it knocks real bad and no one can seem to figure out whats wrong. I think it's only a matter of time untill the motor goes again. I love Porsche cars and the allure behind them can only be understood until you've driven one. The cars feel perfect.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:43 AM

The Z06 is flat out nasty.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:58 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by High_PSI
I think he is equating exclusivity to quality and in a way he is right. A Covette is VERY common and it's build quality/refinement is lacking especially in comparison to a Porsche. It is the whole Quality Vs. Quantity arguement.
Anyone who has dealt with a Porsche or Ferrari from the 80s or early 90s, or any Lamborghini ever made, knows that quality and exclusivity have no correlation. Porsche's build quality and level of refinement in the 993/996/997 was very good, and their reliability is on par with most other limited production vehicles (Thank you, NSX). The Corvette cuts a few corners in refinements, and that reflects GM's inability to source quality components from their suppliers, mainly due to the cost-first approach GM product managers live by.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by John4321
Also some people brought up build quality, which I'd like to comment on also. The first day I took my fathers Z06 to Motor Sports Ranch, with him in the passengers seat, I cracked the block. This was only pushing the car 7/10ths or so because I was scaring the crap out of him. Ever since we had the motor replaced it knocks real bad and no one can seem to figure out whats wrong. I think it's only a matter of time untill the motor goes again. I love Porsche cars and the allure behind them can only be understood until you've driven one. The cars feel perfect.
The LSx engines have been among GM's most reliable. One bad block out of thousands shouldn't be an indicator of overall build quality. How did Chevy treat the problem?

Caymans are very nice and they certainly have their appeal. And, remarkably, it has nothing to do with being exclusive.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The LSx engines have been among GM's most reliable. One bad block out of thousands shouldn't be an indicator of overall build quality. How did Chevy treat the problem?

Caymans are very nice and they certainly have their appeal. And, remarkably, it has nothing to do with being exclusive.
I have always been a fan of the LSx motors, but this is the 4th LS7 to go at the track I'm a member at. The problem with ours I believe was an isolated incident, not at all due to a manufacturing error. The car was at the dealership previously for a bad water pump and when they replaced that they also put in new head gaskets under warranty. That's what caused the block to crack, we blew a gasket. They wouldn't cover the motor under warranty because the car had headers and a tune. I believe they didn't reinstall the heads properly, but thats hard to prove.

The other three LS7 motors that blew at MSR were because of oil starvation, which seems to be more common.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a comment about the EVO above that kind of made me laugh however it is true. We all know that when you look at the stats that motortrend or road n trek use that the EVO holds its own bone stock.

I do never want to read another statement however that you could beaf up a srt 4 to take out an evo.... even a modified srt 4 would gets it's a$$ handed on a real race track..... same driver in each car....

It's kind of funny to see how people are getting so up tight about this. Every car has it's own spot in the stable.

For the money who can argue with a vette? If you had the money the performance that the p-cars offer is amazing too.

If it was me I would find a car right in the middle, the Lotus Exige...... A car that you randomly see and that is a very awww inspiring performer for $50 grand....

Anyways, back to the argument......
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John4321
I have always been a fan of the LSx motors, but this is the 4th LS7 to go at the track I'm a member at. The problem with ours I believe was an isolated incident, not at all due to a manufacturing error. The car was at the dealership previously for a bad water pump and when they replaced that they also put in new head gaskets under warranty. That's what caused the block to crack, we blew a gasket. They wouldn't cover the motor under warranty because the car had headers and a tune. I believe they didn't reinstall the heads properly, but thats hard to prove.

The other three LS7 motors that blew at MSR were because of oil starvation, which seems to be more common.
Sorry to hear about your block and the bad service your dealer gave you. I have a great dealer who is very mod friendly ( Ihave a KB intake and tune with a cam, headers and ported TB and Exhaust going in soon and the dealer is the one who is behind me doing it!!...My dealer would have got your problem taken care of. The dealers have more influence than you think and they can choose to help you in matters like yours or not too and I guess thats what happened to you.

As far as on the track I think you had a bad experience because my 07 Z06 runs so smooth with lots of power and torque. There are so many guys tracking these cars and as you know you have to be a GOOD driver to get 8-9 10ths out of the Z. I personally think that a car of the Z06, Carrera GT, GT3R etc level of performance should require a driving class to even get one.IMO.

What track do you belong to because I haven't heard of three motors blowing up in one small geographical area like that and I'm invloved with the Corvette community in many ways. This is not the norm. Have you and the other people with the blown motors posted your situations on Corvettefourms? If so I haven't seen it...and I'm on there a lot.

BTW as far as the P cars go they have their issues also as many have stated that I won't fgo into and to compare a Cayman to a Z06...well I think that is a stretching it a bit.

At Autobahn GT3's can't stay with Zs on the track especially if they are running R compunds like the P car....so a Cayman.....um I don't think so.

Hey to each his own....I'd rather have a track ready Katech built Z06 for about
35k on top of what a Z06 cost than a stock 140-150k 997TT any day of the week and I would still have about 30k left in my pockets.....and if you know about Katech ( they build the ALMS GT 1 C6R's engines. That car would lap a stock 997TT so easily.

I think GM has done a great job with the Corvette C6 and Z06.

As far as refinement goes I don't like all the excess **** they put on performance cars anyway.

Thats why I like the Evo also....RAW

Good luck with your dads Z06 hopw you get the problems worked out

Last edited by WhtEvo05; Aug 14, 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: '08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!