Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708
Originally Posted by RoadandTrack
It's clear even from the passenger seat that there is more oomph ahead of the firewall, but it's more subtle than it used to be. Everything is sensed through the steering wheel. I hate to say it, but it feels — heaven help us — Porsche-like. In fact, a Porsche with better balance and power delivery.
'Nuff said.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah - whatever. They said the same about the C6 Z06; Even Mr. GM-employed, Max "The Axe" Angelelli ran faster times with the down in power and torque 997 GT3

It just might be though
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:28 PM

I am sorry but I cannot buy it. Corvettes are NOT and NEVER will be in the same league as Porsche. I have been in multiple corvettes, granted not this new 08' but I have been in and driven a 996 Turbo X50 and GT2 and I find it insulting that they would even think of that statement in the privacy of their own minds.

EDIT- I would not even take a Vette over my Evo.

Last edited by MRgraphite; Aug 9, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MRgraphite
I am sorry but I cannot buy it. Corvettes are NOT and NEVER will be in the same league as Porsche. I have been in multiple corvettes, granted not this new 08' but I have been in and driven a 996 Turbo X50 and GT2 and I find it insulting that they would even think of that statement in the privacy of their own minds.

EDIT- I would not even take a Vette over my Evo.
But a Corvette C6 Z06 can beat a Porsche 997 911 Turbo in every performance aspect. It's beyond the 911 Turbo. Yeah, it's not in the same class, because the Z06 is above it. Get a clue.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

this debate is so much fun. Most of us drive evos. which are stripped out supercars in their own right with no real thought to making the car "nice" the z06 is a stripped out supercar with a smallblock 427 without any real thought to making the car "nice" and yet the same people that spent a bunch of money on an evo over, say, an audi, trash the z06's sledgehammer delivery in favor of a 997 because the porsche is so much "nicer" weird, huh?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vigo
But a Corvette C6 Z06 can beat a Porsche 997 911 Turbo in every performance aspect. It's beyond the 911 Turbo. Yeah, it's not in the same class, because the Z06 is above it. Get a clue.
Every?????

Depending on WHICH magazine you read I guess.....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
Yeah, yeah, yeah - whatever. They said the same about the C6 Z06; Even Mr. GM-employed, Max "The Axe" Angelelli ran faster times with the down in power and torque 997 GT3

It just might be though
Did you forget about the GT3 using R-compound tires and the Z06 using runflats? Apples to oranges.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRgraphite
Yeah, damn those heathens for stating what they experienced.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Did you forget about the GT3 using R-compound tires and the Z06 using runflats? Apples to oranges.

Did the mention that the GT3 weighed more and has 100HP Less? Wow thats like Apples to bits of string.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THUB
this debate is so much fun. Most of us drive evos. which are stripped out supercars in their own right with no real thought to making the car "nice" the z06 is a stripped out supercar with a smallblock 427 without any real thought to making the car "nice" and yet the same people that spent a bunch of money on an evo over, say, an audi, trash the z06's sledgehammer delivery in favor of a 997 because the porsche is so much "nicer" weird, huh?
Hoo-fin-rah!

That's how they sell them; that's how they're tested... Stock vs stock is apples to apples as far as a comparison.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Did the mention that the GT3 weighed more and has 100HP Less? Wow thats like Apples to bits of string.
Point being?

Tires are consumables. Weight and horsepower are areas of engineering that aren't easily changed.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Point being?

Tires are consumables. Weight and horsepower are areas of engineering that aren't easily changed.
The GT3 was faster with 100 WHP less and god knows how much less torque. That is an extremely Valid point. Discuss why it isn't.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
That's how they sell them; that's how they're tested... Stock vs stock is apples to apples as far as a comparison.
That is true, but as an auto enthusiast, I'm not going to overlook a simple detail that has such a drastic affect on lap times.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Let the stereotypes battle it out:

Geezers who need a car to attract women . . .

>>>VERSUS<<<

Depeche Mode ascot wearers who need to attract women!

in a fight . . . . TO THE FINISH!!

We (and our ladies) will watch from a good, safe distance.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
The GT3 was faster with 100 WHP less and god knows how much less torque. That is an extremely Valid point. Discuss why it isn't.
As I pointed out, the car was run on R-compund tires. Needless to say, an R-compund is drastically superior to a runflat when it comes to posting lap times.

More to the point - this thread isn't about the Z06. Additionally, the GT3 cost about $40,000 more than a Z06, thus making any head-to-head comparison of the two laughable at best.

Quick Reply: '08 Corvette....better than Porsche says Road and Track!!