Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Fun pick up trucks?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mighty Max with a 4g63 swap!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrdci
Here's your answer my friend. The Roush F-150.

It comes in so many versions you can pick which best suits you. 2X4 4X4 And Different handling packs. Heres the full list from the Roush Site.

http://www.roushperformance.com/f150.shtml

ROUSH F-150 Sport - Including ROUSH a core set of ROUSH components with additional optional components.

Stage 1 ROUSH F-150 - Including ROUSH's cutting-edge styling, wheel, and tire package.

Stage 2 ROUSH F-150 - Including the exclusive styling of the ROUSH Stage 1 package, plus ROUSH's new advanced suspension and handling package.

Stage 3 ROUSH F-150 - - Including all the elements of what a ROUSH F-150 can be - power, handling, and styling. In addition to the handling and styling components of the Stage 1 and 2 packages, the ROUSH Stage 3 F-150 includes the ROUSHcharged 5.4L powertrain system producing 445hp/500lb-ft.

500RC ROUSH F-150 - A high-performance road runner. Complete with the ROUSHchargerTM, the 500RC puts a ground-pounding 445 horsepower/500 lb.-ft of torque to the street.

Stage 3 Champion Edition ROUSH F-150 - You might not be able to drive on a racetrack like Matt Kenseth, the 2003 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series champion, but you can drive the No. 17 Champion Edition truck.

ROUSH F-150 Nitemare - The 2007 ROUSH Nitemare is a menacing tone-on-tone, 445-horsepower beast. The ROUSH F-150 will be a limited run of only 100 vehicles.

KTM Edition ROUSH F-150 - The standard features of this machine are anything but basic, and include a KTM/ROUSH-exclusive paint and graphics package and two-tone KTM-branded leather interior. The painted front bumper, chin spoiler, hood scoop and 20-inch chrome wheels with high-performance tires definitively set this F-150 apart from others on the street. The billet aluminum grill adds a touch of class, and intimidation if seen from behind you in the rear view mirror.

Liquid Propane Injection ROUSH F-150 - The Roush Propane F150 is a dedicated propane fuel vehicle.

Saleen makes a nice truck but there's is overpriced. A friend of mine is selling his Lightning its listed on the cars for sale forum.

Im sorry to say but those Roush F150's are a joke and a half. The dealership where I live has been sitting on a lot of them and they can never move them out. Including the Nitemare. Even the supercharged Stage 3 F150 is pretty sad. Consider this, it'll run upwards of $50,000. What you get is sport truck right? Wrong. This 405 hp/480 ft lb truck only runs low 15's in the 1/4 mile. Comparably....a stock regular cab short bed Hemi Ram (around 345hp) will run the same if not better. My friends with an intake and exhaust got down to 14.7. The new Toyota Tundra in regular cab/short bed style with the iForce 5.7 litre v8 will run mid to low 14's. Some sport truck, it loses to trucks that cost half as much by a big big margin. And the Dodge and the Toyota are rated to tow/haul more as well if you're interested in using them for truck purposes. to every Roush truck they make.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KrRlDCIZDvs

Theres a video of a guy running his Tundra. About a full second faster than that Stage 3 supercharged Roush.

Also if you can wait it out alittle longer...

http://www.gmc.com/canyon/canyon/specsStandard.jsp

The Canyon will now be coming with the 5.3 V8 as an option.

Last edited by RalliLancerJ86; Oct 2, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 03:34 PM

also you have to understand with a truck the gearing of the tranny and diff is made to pull stuff not go fast and the "go fast" trucks like the ram SRT-10 with its 6mpg LOL and then lightning they are geared to go fast so that hinders their pulling ability.

im pretty sure if you try to pull 5,000lbs in a lightning you would blow up the diff
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

NOBODY suggested the Viper truck???

I'd go for the diesel cummins trucks if not the Viper trucks. I'm partial to gas engines, and V10's are just cool.

I think BRAND NEW they were just a touch over 50k, so shouldn't be killer expensive used.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:31 PM

yeah the SRT10 is badass
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:32 PM

dude scratch that, if your hauling something get a srt8 grand cherokee....ooooo god its so sexy!!!

idk about how good of a tow-er it is, but damn haha look into it!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

You wouldnt use an SRT10 Ram for towing/hauling though.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

GMC Syclone.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

SRT-10 Ram.....lol....I suggest a nissan titan....I had one before and it is a good performer (for a truck) it hauls pretty good too....
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoluvin
im a tech at toyota and the new tundra's with the 5.7l will haul anything you want!!!! And ive herd nothing but good reviews on them... we never get any in the shop to work on!!!!
+1 toyota tundra is boss..
Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
OK so I just test drove a Tacoma Pre-Runner and I have only one word for it: JUNK! That thing is not only hideous, but the interior is less appealing than my Evo. (I actually like the 80's styling =) ) And that scoop on the hood, which I am assuming is not functional, is annoying. And what ever happened to a truck being low enough that you can actually load stuff into it? They did not have an X-Runner there for me to check out, but from talking to Mr Salesman I do not think it could handle the abuse I intend to inflict on my new truck.

That GMC Crayon with the V8 could be fun, but only if they set it up to handle.

I doubt I will find what I am looking for. I want small, handles, hauls, tows, and not too high so I can load me and my nephews' dirtbikes by myself. Think an Evo drivetrain would fit in a Mighty Max like ONALL4S suggested?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by battosaii
also you have to understand with a truck the gearing of the tranny and diff is made to pull stuff not go fast and the "go fast" trucks like the ram SRT-10 with its 6mpg LOL and then lightning they are geared to go fast so that hinders their pulling ability.

im pretty sure if you try to pull 5,000lbs in a lightning you would blow up the diff
You do realize that gears aren't actually made in "fast" and 'slow" don't you? The same gear ratios that make towing easier on the engine, trans and driveshaft also multiply the torque then engine makes when you're unloaded, trying to go faster. Gear reduction accomplishes this by requiring more RPM to achieve a given speed.Higher RPM generally = more gas burned.
In other words, the 4.10 axle gear ratio that makes your truck lunge out of the hole at the strip is going to make yanking your boat out of the water easier than, say, a 2.73 gear. The 4.10 will do this at the expense of gas milage on the highway. While the 2.73 gear will perform better at the pump, but be slower and be harder on the engine during towing/racing.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:30 PM

Nissans (Datsun) p/ups with L20B, Naps Z24 and KA24Es (Pre Frontiers) are awesome.

But Toyota trucks with 22R is my choice (Pre Tacomas). Parts are interchangeable, drive trains are bullet proof. Even the 4x4 parts are interchangeable. If you need to have LSD or gears, simply get them from (2WD models) from the 4WD models which it varies from 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, and 4.88s. The 22R motor responds well to many after market parts.

Here on our islands (Saipan northern Marianas Island and Guam), some are making as fast as low 11s on Toyota Truck!. Offcourse with NOS 150-200shots but otherwise, all motor with either a Mikuni or Webber 50mm twin sides.

Quickest all motor is making high 12s on a high compression set up. (see www.dragguam.com

Check it out. Mini trucks are fun!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TIBOevo
i would get an old school datsun truck.
And drop an SR20DET engine on it

Quick Reply: Fun pick up trucks?