Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

my evo or this 95 RX-7?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Srt-4 Turbo 7
If you don't know how to work on a Rotary then don't trade.

+1 you will dump massive bucks in repairs on that car if you cant work on it yourself.

Do yourself a favor if you do get it, stay twin turbo and stock because once you go single parts other parts seem to be made of plastic all of a sudden
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I just wasnt sure if everyone exagerated that the rotary motor really was a pita, just as people exagerate that the evo clutch will need to be replaced within 20k miles. Because i still have the stock clutch in my evo with 49k miles on it and it still works great for me. i just figured if you took care of any car it will take care of you, but it doesnt seem to be that way with the rotary engine.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nyaegermeister
Thanks for all the info guys. I just wasnt sure if everyone exagerated that the rotary motor really was a pita, just as people exagerate that the evo clutch will need to be replaced within 20k miles. Because i still have the stock clutch in my evo with 49k miles on it and it still works great for me. i just figured if you took care of any car it will take care of you, but it doesnt seem to be that way with the rotary engine.
Haha well I have to say just like the Evo's clutch the stigma surrounding the rotary engine is very much the same. The engines are usually never the problem, it's how people take care of them and tune them. If you change your oil every 3 thousand miles, never let the car overheat (water and oil, especially oil), and have the car tuned by someone who actually knows what theyre doing when it comes to tuning rotaries, you can have an engine that will last you 100k miles. If its not an R2 model then I suggest running an upgraded oil cooler setup; the typical setup is running 1 oil cooler per side in parallel. Never install a cat in the car, all they do is clog and cause the engine to overheat due to backed up exhaust gasses. Finally, never run lower octane, all it takes is one episode of detonation to blow an apex seal, so don't give the motor a chance to do so. I have owned 2 RX-7s in the past, and have maintained 3 others. They are probably the most fun cars to drive next to a porsche or ferrari, true the motors are finicky, but the motor is 50% of the reason why theyre so fun. Revving to 8,000 RPM and making power all the way to redline is really fun. So I suggest driving the car first. If you really like it that much more than your Evo see if the owner has taken good care of it and performed all necesarry reliability mods, and if he has, I say go for it!
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M5150
Haha well I have to say just like the Evo's clutch the stigma surrounding the rotary engine is very much the same. The engines are usually never the problem, it's how people take care of them and tune them. If you change your oil every 3 thousand miles, never let the car overheat (water and oil, especially oil), and have the car tuned by someone who actually knows what theyre doing when it comes to tuning rotaries, you can have an engine that will last you 100k miles. If its not an R2 model then I suggest running an upgraded oil cooler setup; the typical setup is running 1 oil cooler per side in parallel. Never install a cat in the car, all they do is clog and cause the engine to overheat due to backed up exhaust gasses. Finally, never run lower octane, all it takes is one episode of detonation to blow an apex seal, so don't give the motor a chance to do so. I have owned 2 RX-7s in the past, and have maintained 3 others. They are probably the most fun cars to drive next to a porsche or ferrari, true the motors are finicky, but the motor is 50% of the reason why theyre so fun. Revving to 8,000 RPM and making power all the way to redline is really fun. So I suggest driving the car first. If you really like it that much more than your Evo see if the owner has taken good care of it and performed all necesarry reliability mods, and if he has, I say go for it!
+1...Well said

I had an FD for almost 5 years, and never had any major trouble with it because I mantained it properly and did not mod the crap out it.

Check out the new addition of Grassroots Motorsports, as they have a good article on used FD's.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

RX7s are great cars and a lot of fun but if you are trading your evo for one you are nuts. I assume he is giving you the RX7 and thousands of dollars for your EVO???
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Just FYI i have 49980 miles on my evo and the clutch just started going out last night... . I dont launch it either and pretty much baby it on a day to day basis. Good luck with your decision though and let us know what you do!
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

How about a supra vs Evo? I hear the supras are very reliable.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
RX7s are great cars and a lot of fun but if you are trading your evo for one you are nuts. I assume he is giving you the RX7 and thousands of dollars for your EVO???
Yes it would have to be his car plus some cash, but after reading all this and doing other research i doubt i will.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
How about a supra vs Evo? I hear the supras are very reliable.
Well thats what i'm actually looking for, and then came across the FD.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

My buddy has had an FD for years and every time we go out for a rip through the twisties something brakes on that damn thing...lol. It would be a fun car to tinker with, just like an S13 would be, but not DD material at all. That and the fact most FD owners think they are still worth like 3 times the book value.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Just FYI i have 49980 miles on my evo and the clutch just started going out last night... . I dont launch it either and pretty much baby it on a day to day basis. Good luck with your decision though and let us know what you do!
Yikes! Looks like i better be prepared...
Old Oct 6, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Well thats what i'm actually looking for, and then came across the FD.
Yea because i almost have enough for an evo. But im stuck between an evo and supra. The supra costs a little more though haha. The parts also sell for gold.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
Yea because i almost have enough for an evo. But im stuck between an evo and supra. The supra costs a little more though haha. The parts also sell for gold.
You should just buy my evo. It's in the classifieds.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Supra FTW!!! No other car can crank our 1000hp and still have over 100k on the odo!
Old Oct 6, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

rotary good, turbo charged rotary not so good.

Quick Reply: my evo or this 95 RX-7?