Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

my evo or this 95 RX-7?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The last RX7 is perhaps the best looking Mazada car ever made. It is exotic as hell and it handles very well also. STOP. Working on that car is a costly nightmare. I personally would not recommend driving that car for everyday, I have had many friends which had engine problems shortly after modding them.

I would get something else.

Carlos
Old Oct 6, 2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nyaegermeister
Hey guys ive been talking to the owner or this RX-7 and he's wanting to work out some kind of trade. Ive been looking for something along the lines of a supra/rx-7 rare car. Let me know what you guys think.
swap in a ls1 i love the rx7
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:11 PM

i dont like supras i dunno what all the hype is about lol maybe its the looks? because anything i mean anything a supra can do another car can do that and more for half the cost or less. i think the evo and the rx7 are far superior to a supra. the supra is one of the most over rated and over inflated cars out there i dont see why people want them they just dont make sense in a performance to dollar view point esp when you can get a 92-00 lexus SC300-400 wich is the same chassis as the supra for less then a quarter of the price of a supra and have alot of money left to do a 2jz-gte swap or f that get a fox body mustang for $3000 and use the rest of the $27k you were gona spend to buy a stock supra to build a 4000 hp v-8 lol. anyways if you get what im saying the car dosnt make sense to me i dont think its pretty enough to be worth 30k stock still after like 10 years.. there are better options out there. sorry for being off topic

but yea the RX-7 is an amazing car just remember the evo has alot more luxeries then the rx-7 most of it is just space though lol just get it and do a LS7 swap it would be a reliable beast oh and btw yea those big v-8 ls motors weigh less then those tiny 13b's lol
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

LS less than 13b? ORLY? I haven't heard that... that seems insane
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's true IIRC.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nyaegermeister
You should just buy my evo. It's in the classifieds.
If i get an EVO its gotta be a IX
Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kordyte
LS less than 13b? ORLY? I haven't heard that... that seems insane
I have heard the 13b only weighs 400 pounds.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

RX-7 DD suckkks!

First off no cupholders.

Second, Its a 14 year old car and you are currently driving a 4 year old car.

Diff bushings will need to be replaced or it will clunk, The stock AST is still there which is a HUGE reliablilty issue. The stock Sequential Setup is such P.I.T.A. to work on.
It proably still has the stock E.C.U. which is a NO NO unless you do the fan mod and dont turn up the boost at all.

Ive had one it was so cool to get all the stares and goggles. The sound of a rotary is amazing...WAAAAAAAAP PSHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAP. But again the stock turbos have a cast iron manifold which stores heat and cook the rotors.....and i guarantee one day you will have a perfect boost pattern then five minutes later you will be at 10-6-8 and wont be able to track it down due to the complexity of the rats nest.

NO DD RX-7's FTW
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10-6-8?

Do tell . . . for the non-rotary club . . . ?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

^PSI at different points of the rev range. First number is initial boost, the second when the second turbo starts spooling, and boost at redline. There is a small dip in boost when transitioning from one to both turbos.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Srt-4 Turbo 7
If you don't know how to work on a Rotary then don't trade.
most definitely...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Also the FD is not a car for everyone. They are for people that have attention to detail, the Rotary is actually less likely to knock than a 4G63. The problem is that it has a way lower resistance to knock once it actually does. A 4G63 is a giant iron chunk of metal that is very stout with metal head gaskets from the factory, it can handle knock all day pretty much.

The rotary has the weak apex seals which can't take a big detonation. There is a way around this which is to run the engine pig rich. That is why you always see fixed up RX-7's with big flames coming out of the exhausts when they shift. The problem is that most people got in way over their heads when they bought the things back in the 90's and just bolted crap on without tuning. That caused the engines to run too lean for the rotary's sake and cause them to blow.

The rotary is a engine for OCD crowd, if you are a lazy SOB that just bolts crap on without a tune, then it isn't going to last very long. If you have a good rotary tuner and don't bolt anything on without a retune and maitain the engine in tip top shape, it'll last a long time. The engine is for the car guys that ACTUALLY check their oil level everytime they fuel up at a gas station, not guys that pop their hoods only to show the engine off to friends. We are fortunate to have the 4G63 that can live with a bunch of bolt-ons and not require a tune, it isn't the best, but it will not choke and die either.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, rotaries are more reliable, for example, there is almost zero chance of having a cracked piston.

Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

evo to RX7 is like dating a supermodel then going out with a stripper.

EVO FTW
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on my 2nd built and ported 13b engine and that thing still doesn't run right..

next would be a LS1 swap or rb26dett

Quick Reply: my evo or this 95 RX-7?