Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

my evo or this 95 RX-7?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im a Nissan guy and im saying LS1 so you know its a good motor, it has a bunch of advantages over the RB26 first off its shorter then the inline 6 so better weight distrabution it has more power and torque stock for stock and is N/A no lag also weighs less and last but not least it will pass emissions lol LS1 ftw
Old Oct 8, 2007, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotaries suck!!! They weight more than a LS1 the LS1 swap actually improves weight distribution do some research on Rx7club.com under the engine swap section adn see how many diehards have made the switch and would never go back.

450rwhp from a bolt on LS1 in a FD is almost 130mph traps still under 2850lbs.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

i would keep the Evo
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:38 AM

Ls1 swap ftw! then turbo the ls1 lol !!!!
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:02 AM

i owned an rx7 for many years... just sold it in the spring after owning it since i drove it off the lot back in 94.. loved the car, never had any big issues with it and still wonder if i made the right decision in selling it...

that being said, my brother just took delivery on saturday of a new '06 evo mr and if i had to choose between 2 cars... i'd take the EVO...

not that i didn't love my RX7 but they are two totally different cars... when driving the RX7 fast you always felt like you were close to the edge and in danger of stepping over that edge... while the EVO seems so rock solid... the faster you go in the EVO the more it feels like it is burrowing into the road..

yes, even though i didn't have many problems (the car never failed to start), i was always wondering if the "big" one was coming... luckily my local RX7 mechanic was pretty good and i knew that i had KD Rotary within reach if there was an emergency...

i love both cars but i'd take the evo over the rx7 now... especially a new one rather than a car that is 12+ years old...

BTW: i'm not sure i get the supermodel/stripper analogy... if anything the rx7 is the supermodel... what a beautiful car the 93-95 rx7s are... and the EVO... well.. it's beauty is partly due to it's ugliness... right?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

It's so funny, post the same question in rx7club.com and everyone says rotary ftw. I do appreciate everyone's input, it's looking like i may stay with my evo for now. Although all the signs with this 7 seem to be good, 10-8-10 psi, all hoses and gaskets replaced, and the cooling system has really been boosted on it. I just couldnt believe there were only 500 made in 95, which intrigues me, i really like uniqueness and rarity, but i don't think i want headaches with it.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I rather have all season car, but thats just me, RX7s are nice but you have to have DD for that + if something happens to the engine you can always swap with LS1 :d

just keep the evo.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

keep the evo ...that car is already 12 years old
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

I own both an Evo and a 95 RX7. Yep, only 500 that year. Completely different cars. I daily drove mine for several years without a single issue. Then I started doing the heavy mods without the appropriate support crew (good rotary shop) and that's when I had some issues. Once I found a good engine builder, there were no more issues. I tune it myself and she's quite a beast. The Evo and the 7 are completely different cars with the Evo being much more convenient and the RX7 much more of a thrill ride, at least in heavily modified form. The key to RX7 ownership is a good solid engine build, tune and a good shop close by. Unfortunately, good shops and engine builds are few and far between and it's one of the main reasons why the 7 has the reputation it does. FYI, Mazda has just announced a larger displacement rotary engine, all aluminum, which more than likely will power an upcoming 4th gen RX7.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
I own both an Evo and a 95 RX7. Yep, only 500 that year. Completely different cars. I daily drove mine for several years without a single issue. Then I started doing the heavy mods without the appropriate support crew (good rotary shop) and that's when I had some issues. Once I found a good engine builder, there were no more issues. I tune it myself and she's quite a beast. The Evo and the 7 are completely different cars with the Evo being much more convenient and the RX7 much more of a thrill ride, at least in heavily modified form. The key to RX7 ownership is a good solid engine build, tune and a good shop close by. Unfortunately, good shops and engine builds are few and far between and it's one of the main reasons why the 7 has the reputation it does. FYI, Mazda has just announced a larger displacement rotary engine, all aluminum, which more than likely will power an upcoming 4th gen RX7.
So if you had to keep only one, which would it be in your opinion?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
One of my good friends from highschool has a 93 and he is on his 3rd motor. They are awesome cars and seem to be pretty reliable with minor bolt and the boost not turned up too high but once those apex seals go, its seems to just happen over and over. Like the guys above said, my friend also has a DD besides his rx7.
WHY is he on his 3rd motor if it is so reliable
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I would absolutely love to have a FD. It's hard to beat.... one of the best chassis ever made for handling. As much as I like the rotary, I'd swap in a LS. Can't argue with 400-500 NA WHP! And it pretty much keeps the same weight and balance (close enough that I'll call it a wash, though some argue it's actually better than the rotaries).

BUT, I need something practical and I can only afford one car, so the Evo it is. The CBR is for the impractical side of me
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

f that ****
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well that has more to do with where I am in life than the car. It'd be the Evo now but ask me the same question five years ago, and it would have been hands down the RX7. Luckily, I'm in a position where I can have both although the Evo's pretty much just daily transportation. I've had a long affair with motorcycles and I recently got back into them, especially the Italian variety, and cars have sort of gone by the wayside for me.

Originally Posted by nyaegermeister
So if you had to keep only one, which would it be in your opinion?