Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Got beatin by a Subaru WRX!?!? How?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven a WRX that put down close to 300 at the wheels. That is about 100 more than the Evo puts down.

Welcome to Turboland!!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

"dont have an evo (yet!) but i read on another forum that you get faster runs in a n evo if you shift at 5500, and Not run it to redline. But i dont know personaly mind you its just an idea. "

Well after 5000 you gain alot of your horse power. That may be true in an NA car. But with the evo your running half power untill after 5000... I know this because mitsu says so, (read it on some pamplet at an car convition showing off evos... :^)
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mod your Evo and tell him that you missed 2nd gear (common problem) and tell him that you want a rematch in your stock Evo.Also most stock Evos good for about 13.5 with good launch.I don't think Motor Trend 13.1 got the common Evo.Some of us got faster Evos than others.Discrepancies of up to 30hp. If you were running 91 octane your Evo might be a high 13 sec car maybe low 14s.Make your car a mid to high 12 sec car and ask for a rematch.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

look bro, dont beat yourself up at all... I have a civic 92' that I wouldnt be scared to put up with my "soon to own" evo VIII. I built the car as the ultimate sleeper... NA, no body kits, nothing to show I have a fast car. It could run high 12 low 13's.... I only tell people it has an exhaust and rims, the normal ricer stuff, I just let like the watch the jaws drop at the track.... (I no longer race on the streets, got busted once) Some ask why get an EVO when you can make the civic beat it... Then I always say.. I get a car becuase I wanna "drive" not just ride!!!. the evo is a rally car gone street... Not a drag racing car. The evo is made to drive left, right, up, and down "really fast" It just so happens that it goes really fast straight...:^)
I hope that helps a bit.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Dont forget everyone... The main post was saying 5 yes, FIVE car lenths ahead... Thats not a 13.2 sec run... that guy had to have alot of drag knowledge and alot of bills poured into that wrx.... he would have been in at least 12 or 11's... Sounds like a wrx that rides around knoxville..... He has 500 plus hp (so people clame) I have only seen him once at the track and there was nothing but black smoke from the tail pipe... couldnt see the time lol... He ran an 8 on a 1/8th mile tracke... Notice I said 1/8th.. I have never seen him at the ol 1/4 track.
I dont know everything about moding a car, or drag racing. I do know that a stock wrx against a stock evo is no match...
well thats my two cents...
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:32 PM
Account Disabled

He had a bigger turbo, no way teh stock turbo could run from you, probably the 15G upgrade with an ECU, will lay a hutin on a stock evo, get some mods...
Old Jul 13, 2003, 09:00 PM

How much do you weigh?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a catback is a waste of money for wrx owners, if they say thats all they have then they are either stupid or lying because an uppipe, downpipe, or even intercooler hoses are worth more hp and cheaper too.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:05 AM

Dont worry about it at all.. I'm sure he was pretty modded to be pulling away from you like that. Especially if he had 3 people in the car as well. I can go ahead and tell you that I'm almost 100% sure that he had a turbo upgrade on you. I have modded my stock turbo fairly well and its getting to the point to where I am going to have to start looking for a new turbo if I want to make more power. I have done all the small mods... and I DO NOT leave evos like you are saying.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Kick back. This guy is only lying to himself. The worst type of scum on the planet is someone who can't even be honest with themselves. You'd be hardpressed to find someone in an STI that could beat an evo let alone a nearly stock WRX. He was lying through his teeth about only having an exhaust. Meet up with him and ask him to let you look under the hood. Then ask him if lying made him look cool in front of the other jerks in the car. You're being too hard on yourself. I'd just erase that race from your memory. Think of it this way, you would be disqualified for lying about mods in a regulation race. ****, you wouldn't even get onto the strip without being exposed and expelled. He lied so he could bring you down about your much nicer car. Go find some real stock WRX's and toy with them if it'll make ya feel better.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
There's always someone faster... get over it.

You were expecting a cakewalk and didn't get one... you have options:
-yell at the guy for lying
-spend $ and make your car faster
-take it to the track
-take it to an autox
-don't worry so damn much about who can beat you in a straight line

just some ideas

-bd
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

First of all, the EVO will not run very fast if you shift at redline especially in the lower gears (EDIT: by this I mean a STOCK EVO; an EVO with engine management is different). You are defeating yourself. Look at a real world dyno chart of a stock EVO not manufacturer's press numbers, etc. They run pig rich above 5500 and therefore make less torque up there.
I have a personal friend with a WRX that has chip, uppipe, turboback, intake and manual boost control. That is $1500 in mods for his particular choice of brands, etc. He runs a 13.1. Stock turbo.
The WRX is also lighter (not in this race though).
Want proof of dyno #'s?
Here:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/lancer_chart_1.jpg

Want to see why it makes no torque up top?
http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/lancer_chart_2.jpg

Remember torque is what accelerates the car. Look at the torque chart and consider where the torque band is. You must also keep in mind, however, that lower rpms mean a little slower spool.

Above 5k rpm, the A/F ratio dips to 10:1 and below. It should be above 11:1.

If you are revving to redline in the lower gears, you might as well be reving it in the spool zone.

Last edited by QuantumEVO; Jul 16, 2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:24 PM
Account Disabled

Remember torque is what accelerates the car.
Torque is the actual power turning the wheels, you NEVER feel hp, it is only a calculation. HP is the RATE in which the torque is applied to the wheels, that is all it is. Torque and how much work and at what rate the torque is working.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 02:33 PM

whenever somebody ask you to race,,, you better watch out,,, most of my losses come that way..

kirk
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:51 PM

got beaten by a subaru wrx how

lol i cant believe so many of you have replied to such a post, honestly it make,s me laugh, what does it matter, mod,s or not as long as your happy with what you drive, then youve no reason to gripe, and yes i have a wrx sti-1, but honest guys, here in the uk we find that all subaru,s are totally diff, you can have 4 exact model car,s from the same year, and yet if you were to drive all of them, you would swear they were totally diff model,s some std car,s can put out 280 bhp, import,s that is then someone else has same car same model same year, and it will only put out 230-bhp so he spends 1000,s modding it and still cant get past the 280-bhp brackett, honest, guys dont worry these subaru,s are a strang beast, some are rapid, and some feel so bad you want to get out and push it. lol bye for now mark

Quick Reply: Got beatin by a Subaru WRX!?!? How?