Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Got beatin by a Subaru WRX!?!? How?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got beatin by a Subaru WRX!?!? How?

Today while pulling out of my apartment complex a 2002 white subaru WRX came up behind me very fast. He lives in my complex it turns out and he asked if I wanted to race. I noticed he had HID's his car was lowered and it had an exhaust. I asked him what else was done and he said nothing. He had 3 people in the car including himself. I have 1300 miles on my car which is bone stock. I had a half tank of gas so we decided to get side by side on the highway on ramp and count to 3 and then launch. We launched and I got a very good launch as did he. I redlined every gear up until 5th and I could NOT pass him. I mean he had 5 car lengths on me easy. He even had 3 people in the car!? How in the hell did he beat me? My car has more hp stock and he said all he had was an exhaust. I noticed however when he shifted a HUGE puff of black smoke came out of the exhaust. I mean HUGE. Could that mean he had alot of mods and was lying. I mean this thing was devilishly fast! How could he have beat me if his car was all stock except exhaust as he claims? I was expecting to pull on him by a few car lenghts but this was crazy. Can anyone fill me in on why I lost. I am a very good driver and so it has nothing to do with launching or shifting on time. I was thinking that since my car only has 1300 miles it might not be broken in all that much compared to a car that has 20k so it may not be as fast. Can anyone tell me?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

ive seen a WRX that puts 300hp to the wheels....turbo upgrade, front mount intercooler...probly push 18psi, exhust and intake.....i think that is the basic setup of my friend that puts the 300 down..
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

he was probably lying..there' no wrx that can beat a stock evo with just exhaust and 3 people in the car..

he might've had NOS or something

don't be too hard on yourself
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thats bull crap. he would need to be running ALOT more than just exhaust to put 5 cars on an evo. i have many freinds with wrx's. none of which have ever ran 12's on a stock turbo no nitrous. im sure it can be done with a stock turbo but with many mnay other mods on the car. you should have made him pull over and look under the hood. i had a guy in a LS1 ss camaro tell me all he had was a filter and cat-back. the car was too loud for just that, and he barely beat me. but i had him pull over and he had a cam/open headman headers and a few other stuff. i rock on mildly modded ls1's hard, so i knew there was no way he only had a cat-back exhaust. always nake for sure what the other person has before beating yourself up over it.
-Andy
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I think he must have had something else done. No FMIC thats for sure but with all that black smoke on his shift it means he was running rich which must have been the result of something.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

I dont have an evo (yet!) but i read on another forum that you get faster runs in a n evo if you shift at 5500, and Not run it to redline. But i dont know personaly mind you its just an idea.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVO VIII Chris
....with all that black smoke on his shift it means he was running rich which must have been the result of something.
Ya, higher boost, a fuel management system and a recirculating BOV, maybe even larger injectors. By no means stock!!!
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RumbleCam
I dont have an evo (yet!) but i read on another forum that you get faster runs in a n evo if you shift at 5500, and Not run it to redline. But i dont know personaly mind you its just an idea.
Really? I imagine that is true because it seems to stop building boost past that point. Now if you had a boost controller you could build boost all the way to redline
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Take a look here. For around four thousand you can get a WRX into the twelves.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Lots of WRX's out there, and many are modded. I bet that the guy you ran against at the very least had a boost controller of some sort.

My 2002 WRX with an M2 stage 3 kit with VF23 turbo could click-off a 0-60 time in 4.6 sec.Even without the turbo upgrade there are plenty of low 13 second WRX's running around. All I can say is beware of any WRX that is running an aftermarket exhaust as they more than likely have more up there sleeve than that;-)!!

N10S
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RumbleCam
This is not correct. Even running to redline stock you have over 16 psi of boost. If you shift at 5500 it will lower your rpm too much. Anyone who is getting quick times out of the Evo is running them pretty much to redline.

Oh and the black smoke being blown out the tail pipe means not CAT. Evo's do that also.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Bring on the EVO's, and the Ferrari Modena's for that matter. Rev on my, from a stop, or a roll, and your *** is meeting the mulcher!

I tried to taunt a Modena today with paper plates, but the dude wasn't buying that!

I just wish that I had poured the money that I poured into my WRX into an evo! Too bad Evo's weren't here 2.5 years ago.

BTW, just to let you know. I have a JDM 6 speed and a 3.90 rear end, catless, 100 octane, PE1820@20PSI, 565cc Injectors, -8 Earls Lines and fittings, Parallel fuel rails, ported header, UTEC (Self Dyno tuned). There is not too many things on the road that can battle with the "BADWRX".

Don't feel bad. Some WRX's are VERY QUICK. They are expensive to mod, but once modded properly, they haul ***! I've been on the prowl for an Evo to eat for lunch, but havn't come across any.

Andy
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:56 PM

Sounds like the picked on you. Since he lives near you go find out what he has. Kinda has me curious as well
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:05 PM

I think that unless you have upgraded your ecu, then you should not run to red line on any turbo car. i have seen enough dyno sheets to know that most turbo cars drop HP and TQ after a certain rpm point. Check out some of the dyno sheets posted on this forum. Let your turbo do its job, dont long wind it and run out of breath.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

I bet he's got an ECU mod and downpipe with boost controller and fuel controller, he can easily stomp on you with that setup. Maybe like 320 at the crank he's dropping.

Quick Reply: Got beatin by a Subaru WRX!?!? How?