Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Should I get rid of the Evo for an S2000?
Get the S2000!
17.02%
Keep the Evo!
82.98%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Sell Evo for S200. . .???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishey
I would keep the EVO..

However, if you do buy a S2000 I would try to make sure its a 2.2L motor and stay away from F20c (mainly the early motors).

(*PERSONAL OPINION HERE*) I think it comes down to a problem of high RPM and lack of oil on the early cars. I am sure Honda knows of the problem and if you look at the changes to the motor it makes sense. They beefed up the oiling on the later F20c cars and then they switched to a lower RPM motor. Personally, I think the later F20c fix was a temporary thing as they where not sure if it would cure the problem and only did it so they could retool to produce the 2.2l motor. Also, anyone who says that they went to the 2.2l for more TQ well to me it doesn't make sense. They have been building cars like the Civic SI for awhile while hearing complaints about its low end performance and that is in a faimly style car. Now for no apparent reason they change the sports car motor for no HP gain? I don't buy it.

Main Thread
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...=0&#entry79753

Search on S2ki...
http://s2ki.com/search/results?q=Engine%20Failure

Personally, I like the S2000 and I think any car that had the failure would have already failed. However, I think that I would feel better with my own driving style knowing that I did all I could to not be one of the few that had to deal with a blown motor.
The early AP1s ('00 and some '01s) had a fair number of problems, oil starvation being one of them. The later AP1s ('02 and '03) did not. The AP2 motor is not "better", and it runs a lower RPM because it was stroked and the piston speeds were too high to be reliable. It's the same motor with the same inherent limitations, plus a longer stroke.

It makes perfect sense that they increased the displacement for more torque. People whined that it lacked torque. Bigger motor = more torque. The peak horsepower rating stayed the same, but was at a lower RPM, and the AP2 has slightly more power at any given RPM. It dropped from 240 to 237 when SAE changed their methodology for rating.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:50 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by subrwho
Hey guys, i've been thinking about getting rid of the evo for awhile now, but wasn't sure what I wanted. Recently, I fell in love with Honda S2000's. What do you guys think? The Evo is a great car, but I kind of want an S2000
If you want straightline speed, you'll never be close to the Evo. You can easily put $15-20k into an S2000 and maybe end up with 400 WHP. To get to the 500+ WHP range, the car is basically undriveable.

If you don't care about that, and just want an enjoyable car to drive that looks good and is reasonably fast in every way, the S2000 wins hands down. It's not the most practical, but if you're single you can easily manage - especially with the 'Teggy for winter duty. And of course, the Evo will never be a convertible. If you know anyone that has one, see if you can trade for a few days - might give you a better idea of how much you really want it.

Not sure if it's feasible, but selling the Teggy for an S2000 sounds like a winning plan to me. '01 and '02 AP1s can be had for $15k.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get an S-800