Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Talk me out of a 4.6L Blown Mustang

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pm sent
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

He doesn't want to spend $20k plus, so the 03/04 out....not possible.

Like I said - 96-98 Cobra is under $10k. Forged bottom end, built trans + power adder of your choice and it will FLY. Easy low 10 second car.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:13 PM

Not going to lie. I used to hate mustangs till my buddy bought one. 99 GT. He got it for 9k with just under 45k miles on it. Really Really good deal. I have learned a lot about mustangs from what he tells me. So my honest opinion with the Kenne Bell + supporting mods, you're going to be well over 400 maybe even 450whp. Easy. And even then you still won't have even spent 20k. So depending on your budget you can go many different ways with it. But the car will probably only last you a couple of years depending on the way you drive it. So it's up to you. If you want lots of power for a pretty good price, it isn'tgoing to last you very long. If I were you I would just put that $ into the EVO making it MUCH faster than that Stang.
But That's Just My .02. Good Luck
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by THUB
Have you ever ridden in a mustang? compared to an Evo there's no feeling of control watching them go down the strip is hilarious beause of how much they squat and dive during shifts, while still pulling a 14. a camaro, while heavier is the better performer in every category. power, handling, gas milage, braking, every ***** not having one, Etc.
That said, The 4 valves are durable as all hell. If you do buy one, get one of those. the bottom end is Safe for 800 HP. 1000 is where you start really pushing the bottom end on a driver. also, the T56 in the later cars (not sure which got the six speeds) can handle some serious abuse as well. just watch out for halfshafts on the irs cars.
Anyone who thinks that the handling in their Camaro's or Mustangs are decent are retarded, and deserve to smash into a wall.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JamesF
Right, I wasn't referring to the 13.2 as an overall time for most cars being pathetic, but for an 03/04 Cobra it is.
Ahh ok, that may be my fault for how I worded my comment. I was saying the 13.2 1/4 mile for the Mach 1, not the Cobra.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by My4Dr8Ur2Dr
Anyone who thinks that the handling in their Camaro's or Mustangs are decent are retarded, and deserve to smash into a wall.
Hmm - tell that to all the thousands upon thousands of people road racing and autoxing pony cars (probably more than any other cars considering how many they sell).

Anyone who automatically writes off the handling capability of the Mustang and Camaro deserves to smash into a wall. Those people remind me of the people that are quick to say "it haz dem old azz pushrods so it sux" when talking about engines.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Get the 96-98 cobra 4v with the teksid aluminum block and put good rods and pistons in it(factory rods suck in those years).
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

i got a friend that has a black cobra... bought it from florida... has a kenne bell on it. doesnt catch... i think it has around 700 hp... declined a race with a turbo civic...
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatdudety
i got a friend that has a black cobra... bought it from florida... has a kenne bell on it. doesnt catch... i think it has around 700 hp... declined a race with a turbo civic...
So the lesson we learned from your story is?.....
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JamesF
Thats funny, my car doesn't squat and dive, doesn't run 14's(on a bone stock 5.0 motor, at that), and probably brakes better than your Evo.
I don't know what's done to your suspension, But TRUST ME, stock mustang GT brakes, are not even close to a match for the Evo's. I avoided an accident a mustang didn't by about 15 car lengths recently. As in I had enough time to admire the clouds of smoke coming out of his wheels before he hit.
And on the squat and dive comment, I was referring to manual trans cars.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wazvette
So the lesson we learned from your story is?.....
cobra are highway/dyno queens like supras :P oh and you can put down 450+ with a smaller pulley on a 03-04 cobra so why waste moding the gt its not worth it. Besides the fact that the gt waste built for any type of boost, the cobra was so your looking at the mustang GT, KB kit, Supporting mod's, Probably a new forge engine, and a stiff tranny rebuild
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I had no idea there were so many Mustang enthusiasts on EvoM!!!

But anyways.

I don't think a Cobra is possible... They're $20K and up, PLUS cost of mods... I don't want to spend that much. For $15K or less, I can do:

00-04 Mustang GT 4.6L V8
Spec Stage 2 Street Clutch Kit
2x Nitto 275/40/17 NT 555R Drag Radials
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust & Bassani X-Pipe
Denso T20EPR-U One Step Colder Spark Plugs
Kenne Bell Cool Air Kit, 90mm MAF
(Kit) Kenne Bell 2.1L Twin Screw Supercharger Kit w/ 9psi Pulley

400whp and I'm happy... no need to set records or anything... and I've heard of a lot of people running the 9psi kits on bone stock GT motors.... if it pops, I can rebuild for $2000 or get a built shortblock for $3500... still less than the Cobra.

I think everyone's point is, if you're gonna spend $15-20, why not spend $25-30 and get a Cobra that's twice as fast... well, I don't really care about 500+ whp, I just want a stupid little Mustang that can keep up with stock Vettes and GT500's
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just make sure you forge everything if you decide to go with a gt or a any other mustang that does not have forged internals. i had a 96GT with 60,000miles and i put a vortech s trim at 8lbs of boost on a safe tune and it only lasted about 2 months before it blew up. **** me off
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by THUB
I don't know what's done to your suspension, But TRUST ME, stock mustang GT brakes, are not even close to a match for the Evo's. I avoided an accident a mustang didn't by about 15 car lengths recently. As in I had enough time to admire the clouds of smoke coming out of his wheels before he hit.
And on the squat and dive comment, I was referring to manual trans cars.
You are very correct, that stock mustang GT brakes don't come anywhere near close to the stopping power of Evo brakes. But you generalized, and I, along with hundreds of other mustang enthusiasts, are the exception. 4 wheel Cobra discs, on a 2945lb fox body, go a long way.

I have a T-56 6 speed 2000 Cobra R spec manual transmission in my car, but it still doesn't squat and dive because of the stiff road race maximum motorsports suspension.

And to the original poster:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=959735

If you have to login, here are the cliff notes:

Car: 98 chrome yellow Cobra
57000 miles
578rwhp!
SHM short block
VIPER SPEC 6sp
Snow Meth
novi 2000
8 rib
Msd-everywhere
Steeda sprins and swaybars
60# inj
aeromotive fuel rais
Aeromotive fuel press reg
-8 fuel line
int 255 fuel pump ext- bosh
pmas calb to 60 lb inj
innovative wide band
cross drilled rotors
chrome fr 500s
racing seats
moer im sure but this is just a start!
asking $18,500

Last edited by JamesF; Nov 25, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, Your car is definitely not quite thhe normal mustang and for that you deserve credit. But most of the people I come into contact with are into going as fast as possible as cheaply as possible. Cutting corners wherever they can. That's one of the reasons II look down on most mustangs: My own generalizations. That and I just don't like mustangs. They always sound beautiful, though.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a 4.6L Blown Mustang