Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO ECU into 2G GSX?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO ECU into 2G GSX?

Has anybody on here tried to do this yet? I've heard of some guys doing it, but not firsthand. I know the pinouts are a little different, but I imagine they can be swapped around to make work. I think it would be nice to run ECUFlash in one and I'll need the EVO ECU to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, I'm talking about a 98 GSX.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im sure it can be done. People use DSmlink in evo's now and are having great luck. Its somthing we are going to be looking into more very soon!

-Em
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ewoevo
Has anybody on here tried to do this yet? I've heard of some guys doing it, but not firsthand. I know the pinouts are a little different, but I imagine they can be swapped around to make work. I think it would be nice to run ECUFlash in one and I'll need the EVO ECU to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hands down the way to go would be DSM link . It is affordable, it is super easy to use, it has many many feautures, just check for your ECU to see if it is a EPROM or not.

Carlos
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Hands down the way to go would be DSM link . It is affordable, it is super easy to use, it has many many feautures, just check for your ECU to see if it is a EPROM or not.

Carlos
I think it would be cheaper to put an Evo ECU in there. His car being a 98 does not come with an E-prom. Also the Evo ECU is a bit more functional when it comes to tuning. You get way more control over everything.

-Em
Old Dec 1, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
I think it would be cheaper to put an Evo ECU in there. His car being a 98 does not come with an E-prom. Also the Evo ECU is a bit more functional when it comes to tuning. You get way more control over everything.

-Em
Uhmm.. I am not sure about that. The used market for E-prom ECUs are super cheap, I have seen them for $150 used. As far is tuning a EVO ECU vs having the stock Eclipse Eprom ECU with DSM link I honestly don't think there is much adavantage at all. The DSM link on stock ECU controls just about everything.

How much would be a used EVO ECU anyway? The DSM link on my GSX controls much of what I want it to control but I guess it all depends what your goals are.

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 1, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

You can not controll timing 100% on dsm link! there are preset values that you can add or subtract from during some coditions. I think you could easily grab a stock Evo ECU (you can completly build you own maps) for 100.00 and a tactrix cable for another 100.00. So now you have 200.00 into it. If you buy dsm link even with a cheap 100.00 e-prom you still will have 650.00 into it. Not saying link is bad at all, just saying its not as tunable and if you could get an Evo ecu in a 2g it would be cheaper.

-Em
Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

My timing was change last Saturday during the tuning at IAperfomance on the dyno. The timing wasn't change much but we change it some. I am not trying to contradict you I am sure is just the way we are understanding things.

Yes, the DSM link comes with a preset default values for some things when you order it like max rpm, injectors size and a couple of things. The one thing miserable about the stock 2G dsm ECU is that it will erase the maps if you discconect the battery(unlike the 1g dsm)which holds the memory.

Once the battery is disconnected on a 2G DSM ECU , you will have to download the maps manually and that is an adavantage that the Evo ECU has.

If you are convinced that the EVO ECU is the way to go then I guess go ahead and recommend him that route, since I haven't done the Evo ECU into a DSM 2G I can't compare but I can say that DSM link on stock EPROM 2G DSm would do 95% of what your normal goals are and probably it would be a lesser hassle as well.

My .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 1, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Em,

I think that ultimately the prices will determine what option is better. If he can get ahold of a cheap Evo ECU then is a green light but as far is the 2G ECU you can even get them from Autozone. 8 years ago I did a ECU exchange for cheap, I fried mine and it was very handy to get a replacement from Autozone.

I am just pitching in experiences..that is all. So basically the price, the feautures, the simplicity and stuff like that will make him decide.

Carlos
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the inputs guys. Carlos, I agree that DSMLink works very well. I don't have an EPROM ECU, so I would have to buy one. I've priced them for around $225 lately. As for EVO ECUs, they seem to run around $200 right now. I already have a tactrix cable, so that's paid for. I'm wanting to try something different I guess is the main reason. Who knows, maybe it will work great, and give the 2G guys another inexpensive alternative. It may not work, then I'd only be out the cost of the EVO ECU,which I could resale. It's just a thought. However, if you guys wouldn't mind looking at the pinouts of the 2 ECUs (http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....=asc&start=15), I'd appreciate your inputs into what all I'll need to change. I see about 6-8 pins that'll need to be changed.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:30 AM

Just go AEM... It will be the last time you need to upgrade.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

That defeats the purpose of what I'm wanting to do, which is try something different.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ewoevo
That defeats the purpose of what I'm wanting to do, which is try something different.
Well trying something different when there is already proven stuff that works is just gonna get you more headaches...

Anyways you have a evo ecu for a good price but I still see evo evu going or over $300 dollars easy. Then after you pay to get it tuned and a tactrix cable and after the average guy has to have his 2g harness reconfigured to mate with the evo ecu. Its gonna cost around what a DSM Link would. Just my .02
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

It may get me more headaches, quite possibly. On the otehr hand, it may work great and I have a superior tuning capability. As far as the costs, I already have a tactrix cable. ecus are going for $200 or less, and I can do the tuning myself. It doesn't matter what you use to tune, if you're going to have someone else tune the car, it will cost you. I'm looking into the difficulty of swapping pins around on the ecu harness. It may only be a handful of pins to swap, which would be very simple, and free. Is AEM EMS proven, yes. So why bother even doing reflashes or using piggybacks? Why don't we just drive model Ts; they will get you from piont a to point b as well, right?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:20 AM

Well good luck and hopefully you get it figured out and bring another tuning tool to the DSM.

Quick Reply: EVO ECU into 2G GSX?