Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Volvo S60R

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Nice car, and you can actually pick a used one up for a decent price. Still the aftermarket support for this car and many European cars are just very limited. Sure you can get some parts, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

Also why do people always compare the EVO to another car, and always show the positives of the other car and completely ignore the positives of the EVO. Like I said the Volvo S60R is very nice, but it weighs in at a hefty 3700Lbs, I'm sorry but that car is no where near is nimble and light on it's feet as an EVO. The steering input isn't even on the same playing field. The interior of the S60R is very nice, well in comparison to the EVO, but still it's not great, and the seats are not nearly as attractive or comfy as my Recaros. Lots of gadets and sh*t come standard with S60R, but if you bought an EVO because you thought it had a bunch of gadgets, then I suggest you sell your car. The brakes on a S60R are Brembos, but their stopping 3700Lbs compared to 3150-3300Lbs of the EVO. The suspension is much softer, and some people would rather cruise to Vegas in S60R, but maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather drive at insanely fast speeds on my trip to Vegas and have my EVO not break a sweat keeping up with my ambitions. Also I may not be able to offer my passengers a soft not so bumpy ride of the S60R, but atleast they will have more room to stretch back there, yup, the EVO by far offers more room in the front and rear for passengers. Sure the AC sucks, the quality of build isn't as good, but hey it is damn fun ride, and hey that's why I bought the car, and in that department it delivers and then some. Also once I get tuned, I'll have to look hard and far to find any S60R even capable of staying with in two car lengths of me.
Nobody actually really compared them except you. I was just saying that i raced one, but i didn't go all the way into comparing the two cars. My main point was to state the fact that i expected WRX like peformance from this car, and experienced stock Evo/STI performance when it came down to it.

Point being, i'm glad you're in so much love with your Evo, but in most cases different people see different things as positives and negatives in cars. I like the S60R more then the Evo because to me it looks better, rides better, is nicer, and is more rare. But it still has the speed and potential i crave. For about the same money.

Unlike you 3000ways, i hate how people on this site always think the Evo is gods gift to the world, and can't admit when another car is just plain better at something. IN GENERAL. Ever heard this, "My stock Evo IX beat an M5 on the freeway last night." Because i see that junk all the time, and it's just straight BS.

Last edited by KOEvo; Aug 17, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
Nobody actually really compared them except you. I was just saying that i raced one, but i didn't go all the way into comparing the two cars. My main point was to state the fact that i expected WRX like peformance from this car, and experienced stock Evo/STI performance when it came down to it.

Point being, i'm glad you're in so much love with your Evo, but in most cases different people see different things as positives and negatives in cars. I like the S60R more then the Evo because to me it looks better, rides better, is nicer, and is more rare. But it still has the speed and potential i crave. For about the same money.

Unlike you 3000ways, i hate how people on this site always think the Evo is gods gift to the world, and can't admit when another car is just plain better at something. IN GENERAL. Ever heard this, "My stock Evo IX beat an M5 on the freeway last night." Because i see that junk all the time, and it's just straight BS.
If you like so much then go ahead and buy one, and last time I checked this was evolutionm.net, so can you blame people for being a little bias towards EVOs. Also I see differently I see the EVO attacked all the time, on a site dedicated to it.

Also simply plain and better, says who, says you. Your opinion, I have my opinion, but nothing about the S60R stands out to me, and the EVO has something the S60R will never have, and that's *****. If you want a great interior, comfy ride, and pretty good acceleration, then by all means buy a S60R, actually, no buy a 335I, or Lexus IS350, both of those cars are better in my opinion. But you want a car that can handle as well, and offers all the performance of cars costing $50,000 or more, than buy an EVO. I never said the EVO was the best car in the world, but you know what, it delivers more for price than what the S60R does. I mean in my opinion, people buy an EVO for a certain reason, and people buy S60Rs for other reasons so it is difficult to compare, but in my opinion the EVO just delivers more on the reasons for people buying it, so in the end, EVO better car.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

im partial to 850R's
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

*******.com huh, read the same story, and called BS on it too, and the EVO wasn't stock, so STF up and stop making crap up.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Can't there be a decent discussion w/o someone getting ruffled up b/c there happen to be other cars that are quite nice...(other than the Evo)?

They are cars people...not your mom, your wife, your kids, or other MOST important things in life.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

No, there can't be, 3000ways always freaks out and blows his top. Like daily.

You totaly read that post wrong, i never said the S60R was "plain and better" then the Evo; i said Evo owners can't admit when another car (ANY CAR) is plain better at something.

I did say i liked the S60R more though, because that's my personal preference (which i explained). I did buy the Evo for a reason, and that was for pure performance; but i'm getting sick of it quick, because i have been bounced out of my seat 1 too many times by bumps on the road.

Also i have never even been on *******.com, so i have no idea what you're talking about, i hear those kinds of stories on here all the time; that was an example i made up off the top of my head.

You need to chill dude.

Last edited by KOEvo; Aug 17, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1000000

This was one of the first things I noticed about EvoM when I used to browse before I bought my Evo.

Evo is an excellent car for what it's supposed to be but there's better cars out there, especially if you're not going ***** to the walls 24/7.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

All the Police cars locally where I used to live in the UK had the V70 T5's and they could keep up with Cossies, STI's, Evo's
So yeah they are underrated.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:38 PM

I own a s60 right now, and i enjoy it to death, just wish a boostcontroller would work with the overcomplicated ecu they have in them.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove an s60r the other day and I liked it a lot. Not evo fast but still very enjoyable and luxurious.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crufty Dusty
Car and Driver review

Seems like pretty good bang for the buck among European imports.
Volvo is owned by ford. ford.com
Old Sep 3, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Varrius
Volvo is owned by ford. ford.com
It's still a Euro import. BTW, I am a big fan of the V70, but I would not buy one planning to mod it.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

i almost bought one a few months ago, but decided to go with a saab 9-5 aero instead. they aren't selling to well i think, which is why i was able to talk them down $7000 off msrp. fantastic car though.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

pretty big discount on them here in the US,last time i checked, they were selling it for 5-7k under msrp
Old Sep 4, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

My buddy has one and its silver with pitch black windows, sits really low and has a full 3" custom TBE on it... Car runs good and is probably louder than my evo and sounds like a v12.. It does ride 10,000 times smoother and it actually feels safe....

The downside it that although that 300 HP feels fast, you gotta remember its also alot heavier. Stock they run a 14.2 to a 14.5 depending on driver and run a best at EXACTLY 100 mph in the quarter.

Heck if anyone wants one, he is selling it to get his 2002 acura nsx..

Quick Reply: Volvo S60R