Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO VIII vs. SRT-8 Grand Cherokee vs. E46 M3

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII vs. SRT-8 Grand Cherokee vs. E46 M3

I am going to be buying myself a new to me car within the next year or so. I want something I can have alot of thrills with, but also be dependable and allow a fairly hassle free ownership experience. I want to be able to focus more on how much I like the car and not on PITA things. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, all obtainable for between $24-30,000. And here is why, what do you guys think?

SRT-8 Grand Cherokee:

Pros:

-I love the look of it
-V8 Nasty, always power on tap... you never have to be in the sweet spot of a certain gear really

-Handles as well as a lot of high performance cars

-Though not an off roader it has plenty of utility and I'm sure is the VERY capable in snow if I got plowed in or went out in a storm

-0-60 in 4.8 Seconds and with bolt ons I'm sure it would surprise plenty

-It's a vehicle that won't turn into a money pit. It's too great how it is and options are limited. A kind of plug and play type deal.

Cons:

-Jeeps are notorious for transmission problems

-Gas mileage is around 13mpg city? or is it worse?

-There isn't much to not like

EVO VIII:

Pros:

-Rediculous fun to drive

-Can be made to be rediculously fast

-Great at everything

-Cheap

Cons:

-Can be made to be rediculously fast ( I don't really want another money pit, I had an SRT-4)

-Cheap

-Turboooo laggggg annnoyyyyssss meeee

-Expensive to maintain, expensive things break and sometimes without abuse

-Money pit

E46 M3:

Pros:

-It's sexy, to go out to dinner in... or as a mean Hi-Po track car

-Nice everything

-RWD is funnn and actually has highway pull

-It does everything very well

-Doesn't respond to modification very well, stuffs expensive (forces me to not care)

Cons:

-I don't know how well these do in the snow though I'm sure they drive them in snow in germany... and I've seen two that have snow tires and drive in Maine all year

-I don't know HOW bad these are to maintain and how often things break and need replacement

-Power potential is limited (blessing in disguise)

I love the concept of the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee however, is getting 13mpg better to have than the expensive maintinence and repairs of an M3 or an EVO? I also don't know how an EVO would do is a really snowed driveway even though it has AWD... I need the best of all worlds. I want the hassle free and the fun... what's the best of the three out of these? or is another option better?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

rediculously personal review.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
rediculously personal review.
I agree and by the way... With all that Turbo lag, I killed both cars (Srt-8 and E46M3)... I used to live in Washington State and I tell you what... SRT-8 are nice but man can you really say Gass hungry ****er!!

I don't want to sound like a newbie with a brand new evo, which im sooo opposite but damn, I literally killed that SRT-8 and for the price and look of the SRT-8, I rahter get the Chrysler 300 SRT-8...

Sexier... Now I got a buddy in Washington State that has the E46... He loves the ride but he definitely loves the EVO's malicious acts!

I love my EVO though!

Last edited by Boricua_Evo; Jan 4, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

It's not just about what is faster... hence the pros and cons... I could kill Vipers in a freaking 1g DSM who cares.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
It's not just about what is faster... hence the pros and cons... I could kill Vipers in a freaking 1g DSM who cares.
What I'm trying to say is that the EVO has the total package...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo does fine in thick snow covered driveways. I garrage mine, but outside it snows overnight. I never have any problem getting out (even in 8 inches of snow) in the morning. Also, at work, the maintenance crews don't work as early as I do, so when I get there, the parking spots are still covered in snow. Once again, I've never had a problem. The SE lip does act like a snow plow, though.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the Evo you wrote, Pro's as Cheap and then Con's as Cheap and Money pit.. That's just plain doesn't make sense.. It's either cheap or it's a money pit you have to make up your mind..

Then you are looking for a snow vehicle, and you want efficiency with low maintenance. You have no idea what BMW maintenance costs do you??? You think Evo's are expensive.. ha ha ha.. And remember that part of maintenance costs means.. the costs to keep in running.. Good luck paying for all that GAS filling up over 70-80$ per for a full tank.

Evo's are bar none one of the best cars for the snow with the right tires.. BMW's simply sit in the garages of most of my friends because of their horrendous handling in the snow no matter what tires you choose. A Cherokee will be a bit better because of the added weight but it won't out handle an Evo in the snow nor on the pavement.

Although out of your three choices I think the Evo fits your budget and performance concerns.. if you don't want it to be a money pit then leave it stock.. The car handles it's stock power with no problems. The usual story with Evo owners is that they get used to the speed and demand more power.. But you seem to be happy with a fast stock car.. Well if that's the case.. Stock for stock.. a stock Evo will out handle, be more efficient on gas, and be faster around the track or quarter mile than the M3 or Cherokee.

By the way.. about the stock Evo having LAAAAAAgggG!!! as you described it.. have you ever actually driven one.?

They spool very quick... it's really hardly noticeable. you make it seem like they have G35's or something..

I would say.. go get a Accord or something more on your budget. With your silly Evo X fund on your sig I'm guessing that's in your range.

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy

EVO VIII:

Pros:

-Rediculous fun to drive

-Can be made to be rediculously fast

-Great at everything

-Cheap

Cons:

-Can be made to be rediculously fast ( I don't really want another money pit, I had an SRT-4)

-Cheap

-Turboooo laggggg annnoyyyyssss meeee

-Expensive to maintain, expensive things break and sometimes without abuse

-Money pit

E46 M3:

Pros:

-It's sexy, to go out to dinner in... or as a mean Hi-Po track car

-Nice everything

-RWD is funnn and actually has highway pull

-It does everything very well

-Doesn't respond to modification very well, stuffs expensive (forces me to not care)

Cons:

-I don't know how well these do in the snow though I'm sure they drive them in snow in germany... and I've seen two that have snow tires and drive in Maine all year

-I don't know HOW bad these are to maintain and how often things break and need replacement

-Power potential is limited (blessing in disguise)
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why everybody keeps saying Evo is expensive to maintain ??
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
I with you man, that aggravates me... I should be talking about that, once you refinance or have had your evo for quite sometime, it makes an even better car to have...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Really the Evo is not expensive to own compared to others sports cars out there. My oil changes are only around $35 to $40 but I do use Mobil one and filters. If I wanted I could do them for under $20. Tires well I also have always used Advans there expensive but if you play your cards right you can them cheap here on this site. I have 6 brand new ones in my Garage and brakes are not expensive either. I have put stock Brembo pads on twice and both times got them under $350 for all 4 but it took 20k miles before they needed replacing. If I did not drive my Evo like an Evo I am sure I could get 30k or more. Actually same goes for the Advans I am sure I could get more out of them but with all of this it's still not expensive. As far as the stock clutch I still have mine and just went over 40k and my Evo is not stock 307whp and 317trq with 5500rpm launch control.
I drive my Evo like it's meant to be driven(Autocross and ocassional 1/4 mile and mountain runs and it's my daily driver). Never had problem except for crappy Brembo paint on my calipers but Mistu replaced them under warranty.
Bottom line get an Evo and you will love it it does everything well. Only bad thing is I want to go faster,stop better and corner flatter---ooohhh the speed bug
I will probably never sell it now thats it's paid off.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Really the Evo is not expensive to own compared to others sports cars out there. My oil changes are only around $35 to $40 but I do use Mobil one and filters. If I wanted I could do them for under $20. Tires well I also have always used Advans there expensive but if you play your cards right you can them cheap here on this site. I have 6 brand new ones in my Garage and brakes are not expensive either. I have put stock Brembo pads on twice and both times got them under $350 for all 4 but it took 20k miles before they needed replacing. If I did not drive my Evo like an Evo I am sure I could get 30k or more. Actually same goes for the Advans I am sure I could get more out of them but with all of this it's still not expensive. As far as the stock clutch I still have mine and just went over 40k and my Evo is not stock 307whp and 317trq with 5500rpm launch control.
I drive my Evo like it's meant to be driven(Autocross and ocassional 1/4 mile and mountain runs and it's my daily driver). Never had problem except for crappy Brembo paint on my calipers but Mistu replaced them under warranty.
Bottom line get an Evo and you will love it it does everything well. Only bad thing is I want to go faster,stop better and corner flatter---ooohhh the speed bug
I will probably never sell it now thats it's paid off.

I envy you!!! Your Evo's paid off!!!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

CHEAP
FAST
RELIABLE

pick two haha
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letMeIn
I guess it all depends on what you think the real cost of Owning an Evo is. Aside of the usual actual maintenance involved, you have to keep in mind that Evo's are the #1 most expensive car to ensure in America.. And if you want to keep it running at it's finest those advan tires are not cheap.. And you do know you have to rotate and balance them every 5,000 miles. and oil changes at around 3K. When you start to add it all up you start to realize that it's simply a sports car with a higher than normal maintenance cost.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

A buddy of mine is the finance director for a Dodge/Jeep dealer in Sand Diego. He tells me they mark up the Srt-8's several grand over sticker and sell every one.
To each his own, but I couldn't keep a straight face if I was asked to pay MSRP, let a lone several G's over on any Chrysler product.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

if your looking for the "higher class" cars (only because you have an E46 M3 and the SRT8 jeep), id go with the M3. Very tail happy cars, even with traction control on, but decent on gas, lots of fun, got that nice class to it, it's a BMW and it attracts the ladies easily without even trying! That's always a bonus It's got a lot of novelty feel to it too, it just attracts a lot of attention because it's still a sports car but its classy.

You are right when you say performance parts are expensive and don't do all that much for power unless you go with force induction or crazy engine mods. Basic mods are suspension mods and ECU reflashes aside from intake and exhaust work. So it's limited unless you want to spend thousands which could lead it to become another money pit!

I would take the M3. Im at a point in my life too where i want to upgrade to a luxury car that can also do track duties and still bring friends around in and go out to dinner in a nice car! Going fast is addictive, but once you're over it, you want something more. And you said yourself, the M3 has hidden potentials....just takes a lot of money They are pretty good for maintance btw, unless you start modding it like crazy, it will be fine and doesnt cost more than an evo or something. It's not all that bad. Aside from all the stories you may have heard, BMW's nowadays are pretty reliable and built to last if you keep up with regular maintenance! Oil changes are the same as an evo, you should use mobile 1 and tires can get expensive, but that;s not diff. from an evo either! If you got the SRT8, tires are even more because the rims size is huge! Repair cost for a BMW isnt too bad unless you have an AWD drive one...haha but seriously, it's not going to be cheap like a honda or kia, but it's not going to brake the bank. Unless you're only making enough to pay for the car, than yea it will cost a lot, but if you are looking to buy these cars, you probably can step up your game and afford to pay for them.

But in the end, do you really want to drive a Chrysler? lol.

Evo will become a money pit...you can't keep an evo stock! That would just be silly!

On the other hand, if you are really worried about the snow driving, don;t get the M3....they are hard tail happy as it is on dry pavement, let alone snow...no matter what winter tires you have, if you decide to give too much gas, your going to get the tail out! Even with traction control on!

Last edited by c900t16; Jan 11, 2008 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: EVO VIII vs. SRT-8 Grand Cherokee vs. E46 M3