Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Should i keep my 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer, or take my parents' 2001 Mitsubishi Diamente

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i keep my 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer, or take my parents' 2001 Mitsubishi Diamente

The biggest issue in this is maintenance and if i should take it financially. Of course id take their car over mine, but im in college, so i cant afford that much. They are looking to buy a new car (Acura TL), and they want to trade their car in, but my car is worth more than theirs, so they might give up mine since theirs is much nicer.

They drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante LS with 95,000 miles on it. I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally with 50,000 miles on it. The trade in value for their car is roughly $4,500-$5,500 and for mine it is $6,000-$7,000. My car has some (minor) work done to it (tinted windows, catback exhaust, short ram intake, aftermarket grill and aftermarket eyelids).

Now their car is a V6, so im assuming it will last longer in the long run than my 4 banger. I drive about 10,000 miles a year (maybe a bit less). Their car has gone through a fair bit of repairs already, just maintenance work, mine hasnt. Their car has 18 city/25 highway MPG, mine (supposedly) has 24 city/31 highway. But i have checked to see my MPG, and i get between 19-21 mpg, in a mostly highway driving environment. Now that my parents car is reaching 100k miles, i am assuming it will need a fair bit of work done on it (which my parents would cover), so if it is renewed would it be better for me?

I dont mind a minor financial sacrifice for a better car. But what would be a better choice for me? Keep in mind the mileage on both cars and the maintenance.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lancers are cheaper to maintain. Smaller engines tend to last longer then larger more complex engines.

Diamante heater cores tend to go bad around that mileage and it is a very expensive fix.

Keep your Lancer.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The Lancer will be more economical and, on average, have fewer repairs. Nothing to do with engine complexity, just that 50,000 miles is less than 95,000 miles. All else being equal, you would always want a car with half as many miles.

If you're getting 19-21 MPG in highway driving, something is wrong with your car, though.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Keep in mind..once that diamante hits 100k miles the value any dealer gives you is only going to be about 1/3rd of the kbb value since its automaticly going to the auction as most franchise dealers out there cant get a car like that financed and most people dont want to buy cars that old now adays..

It would be smarter to trade the diamante in now and take a 1k hit instead of loosing 2-3k in a few more miles..