Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

LS1 evo??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
that dude's mullet is hilarious
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
The ls1 costs less to run, has way more reliable power, and only weighs 400 pounds.

Who says it doesnt belong in there, is there some unspoken car god rule.
not so much a rule but rather general preference. To each his own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the LS1 motor. It's pretty much bullet proof. I just personally feel that the RX-7 is just right as the rotary it was born as.

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
Ok, so you think that its a horrible idea to add weight to an RX7 with an LS1, but its OK with a tri-rotor?

I think I should point out that the LS1 doesn't add any weight. The wankle is a dense iron motor. The LS1 is damn near hollow aluminum. The tri-rotor obviously adds weight compared to the stock bi-rotor.

RX7's are great cars; stylish, well balanced, comfortable, and they're even better when they're reliable and powerful. An LS1 is a great improvement over the 13B.
That may be very true, I honestly don't know exact weight numbers between the tri-rotary and the aluminum block of an LS-1. Since the tri is cast iron, I can definitely see how it would be heavier. But as I said, with me, I think it's really a matter of preference. As far as the RX-7 I was speaking of, (can't remember the team who did the LS-1 swap for it though), I was under the impression they took the car through some pricey weight reductions to re-balance the car after the LS-1 install. Although, I'm aware of it's great performance, balance and numbers it was able to achieve beyond that of a stock rotary. However that may be true, personally, I'd still rather drive away in a true Spirit-R or FD3S. Then again, that's merely my opinion/taste.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:00 AM
Former Sponsor

What?

what is the point of buying a evo if ur gonna get rid of the all wheel drive and the engine and put in a ls1 engine!!! defeats the whole purpoes dont you think!!!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

^ no its the best of both worlds, American muscle, and Japanese tuner!

like the mustang from F&F3

if you think of it though, if they tried they coulda gotten AWD in there...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by lords3t
not so much a rule but rather general preference. To each his own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the LS1 motor. It's pretty much bullet proof. I just personally feel that the RX-7 is just right as the rotary it was born as.

That may be very true, I honestly don't know exact weight numbers between the tri-rotary and the aluminum block of an LS-1. Since the tri is cast iron, I can definitely see how it would be heavier. But as I said, with me, I think it's really a matter of preference. As far as the RX-7 I was speaking of, (can't remember the team who did the LS-1 swap for it though), I was under the impression they took the car through some pricey weight reductions to re-balance the car after the LS-1 install. Although, I'm aware of it's great performance, balance and numbers it was able to achieve beyond that of a stock rotary. However that may be true, personally, I'd still rather drive away in a true Spirit-R or FD3S. Then again, that's merely my opinion/taste.
You're more than welcome to your opinion, but your assumptions and facts are wrong. My LS1 RX7 weighed 2818lbs with 2/3 of a tank of gas. The weight distribution was 49.9% Front, 50.1% rear. That weight was taken with my larger (heavier) race wheels and tires, roll cage, race seats (heavier than stock seats) and harnesses. I had a light weight battery in the trunk, no A/C compressor (evaporator and condenser still in the car) or power steering. Stock weight is 2826lbs 50/50 as quoted from Turborx7.com
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:47 PM

Found a vid. It has a nice healthy cam and straight pipes. Probably should have kept the stock cam if hes going to supercharge it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW0-gQMWCc
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by lords3t
yeah and regardless of what a few popular mags think, LS-1's don't belong in those either. you can get about the same amount of power out of a tri-wankel setup in an RX-7 without forgetting what the car was meant to be or gaining unnecessary weight that was not meant to be in the front end of a car like the RX7 in the first place.. I will still give mechanical props for doing the work for that Evo... but ... I don't like it at all.
you say that with the confidence that rotary motors are anywhere near as reliable as an LS1. you need to rebuild a rotary at almost every oil change at the rate they screw up.

and that comment about putting a 2JZ or RB26 instead? why spend more money and make less power?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lonestar55
you say that with the confidence that rotary motors are anywhere near as reliable as an LS1. you need to rebuild a rotary at almost every oil change at the rate they screw up.

and that comment about putting a 2JZ or RB26 instead? why spend more money and make less power?
The RB26 definitely puts out more power then the 4G63 with less lag. Come on now its a inline 6! How many 1100hp or 1200hp+ Skylines have you seen run 7's at the drag strip? I've seen quite a few but only 1 Evo get mid 8's.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lonestar55
you say that with the confidence that rotary motors are anywhere near as reliable as an LS1.
I didn't even come close to saying that. I was actually stating that the LS-1's clear advantage is it's reliability. My only concern was the idea of it making the car heavier. But someone who actually owns an LS1 powered RX-7 (eastcoastbumps) cleared that up
Old Feb 3, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, the car probably isn't paid off until this swap is done. This person has a lot of dough to blow.

If this person decides to sell it at 50 grand to recoup his money, he'll never fetch that price. Otherwise, just another minitrucker syndrome . . . overvalued in his head while everyone else is WRONG on his price.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:38 AM

I have a rx7 for sale right now, and ls1 swaps are done to every other one, I was debating doing it, but it's just not financially fit for me seeing as it would cost over 7,000 and I just spent 6k into my s4 making stg 3. But to stay on topic, ls1 rx7's tend to be better than rotory's... and I love rotory's lol