Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Trade evo for a supra?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure if you want to own a dyno-queen.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

No matter how well the Supra is made it's still a 10-15 year old car, which will inevitably have a lot of minor maintenance issues.

Prior to buying my Evo I was soooooo in the market for a Supra; must have seen too many of those online highway races .

I was looking to put about 12-15k down on the car and then I realized how crappy the loan rates were for a used car.

You need to have all the money on hand to avoid paying interest.

Wait I just found a low mileage Supra for sale........ http://suprastore.com/19tosutwtu6s1.html

I'd spend my money on a used C5 Z06 or maybe a used C6 Corvette for the equivalent money on a Supra IMO.

Good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^Good point on the vette........MUCH better buy than a supra.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:10 PM

i do if the car have no problem
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

trade evo for a crown vic.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

My brother is going a different route. He has his IX MR, but he picked up a wrecked 94 n/a for $7K.

Shopping around he got the entire rear end that was damaged fixed and replaced with new/perfect condition parts for around $1700.

Since he does wiring for car audio and security for a living we're completely redoing all the interior lighting and replacing all the faded pieces. Plus tge struts in the rear are shot, so it's getting some new suspension.

The most expensive part is gonna be the engine/tranny swap.

In either case the cost of building this N/A into a TT Supra (he's gonna go with BPU and keep it as a DD) is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a TT MKIV Supra in good condition.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
This question has been really bothering me. I have been seriously thinking about trading my 06 evo for a 500+hp supra. The reason why is that I want a high horsepower car with a high reliability rate (not saying that the evo is not reliable) and I just love the look of them. I have not found one yet, but I'm sure there is a couple out there. My question is should I or not. What can I expect from trading my evo? Is there anything I should look for in a used supra? Maybe previous supra owners can chime in on this.
its not a bad idea if or single.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

As far as purchasing cars goes they are never a good investment. There are a couple rare cases though and the supra is an exception. These cars still book for $30,000! You will not lose your money like you will with the evo. I don't think buying a supra is ever a bad idea....
The above poster was right about the high interest rates if you did plan on financing though. There are a couple banks that have decent rates on classic cars...

Last edited by groove304; Jan 29, 2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Love Supras. One came up behind me on the turnpike three days ago. It didn't looked well kept. I also wanted to purchase one prior to getting my Evo but I'm glad I chose the Evo instead.

I think if you have an Evo and would prefer to have a Supra instead than just get the Supra. I had an 05 Subie but wanted an 05 Evo instead. 6mths and $4,000.00(Loss) later, I got my Evo. Took a small hit but I don't regret one penny. If and when you get a Supra, get it, take a hit, but make sure that you are 100% set on that decision, not one ounce of regret because once the deal is final and you have a few months under your belt, an Evo will pass you on the road and the question may come up,"Did I make a mistake in trading my Evo?"

I know a few people that regret selling their Evo's.

Good luck
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I currently have both but am selling my Supra, as you can see in my signature. My Supra is fun for cruising around, especially with the targa off. It has just enough horsepower to be competitive but is not a monster. I'm selling it because I love the driving experience in the Evo better and I want to mod the Evo to make it more of what it already is: a driving machine. The Supra is fun for straight line acceleration, and it even sticks very well in the corners. But it never feels even close to the stability that the Evo gives in the corners. As has been mentioned, the Supra's steering feel is more luxury car oriented. Very little feedback.
All this being said, the Supra still has a good book value, it is still fun to drive, sounds mean as hell with the 4" HKS Super Dragger exhaust, and looks outstanding for a body style first out in 1993. If you are looking for a daily driver, I would keep the Evo. If you want it as a second car, consider the Supra, but be sure that it is the kind of driving experience you want.
By the way, the list posted for checking over a used Supra is from the Supra Store website and is a good tool to use if you are going to buy one.

Good luck
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

supra...my opinion
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to do it but i road in my buddys 500hp supra and it did nothing but scare me lol. I love traction so i deceided not to sell my car for a supra after all. Maybe you should drive one and actually get on it some and see how you like it.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:53 AM

Hi guys,

I sold my Supra about 6 weeks ago now

Was running just shy of 600hp (originally NA) and was gutted when it sold. My main problem was the crank pulley shearing in 2 pieces so went for the boostlogic 1 piece aftermarket pulley.

Traction was crap in 1st 2nd and some of 3rd but the 19" racing hart alloys didnt help with the elastic band tires! Especially with my lead right foot!

Going to a 400hp evo cousioned the blow of the sale and I can actually floor it round bends and into bends without having to worry! Also the take off in 1st 2nd and 3rd is unreal.

Mine was a 1993/4 so one of the first mkiv supras and there wasnt a thing wrong with the bodywork, they are built like a tank. Nearly 15yrs old and it was still running fine when I sold it.
As said though, the interior isnt anything mega and can look abit dated but like with most cars now days, theres loads of aftermarket parts to cheer it up abit. 1 thing I did like was how the dash curves round you, everything is aimed at just the driver.

Regards,
Gaz
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
This question has been really bothering me. I have been seriously thinking about trading my 06 evo for a 500+hp supra. The reason why is that I want a high horsepower car with a high reliability rate (not saying that the evo is not reliable) and I just love the look of them. I have not found one yet, but I'm sure there is a couple out there. My question is should I or not. What can I expect from trading my evo? Is there anything I should look for in a used supra? Maybe previous supra owners can chime in on this.

You want a fast reliable HP car?

Then wy are you going with a Supra?...Stay with the EVo and mod it. AWD is best for the streets and for racing.

Supras are ok....I would never trade my evo in for one.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TurboIX
You want a fast reliable HP car?

Then wy are you going with a Supra?...Stay with the EVo and mod it. AWD is best for the streets and for racing.

Supras are ok....I would never trade my evo in for one.
Dont think i could ever go back now either.

Quick Reply: Trade evo for a supra?