Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by S6devil
guys has it occurred to you that once you start talking "mods", whether basic or advanced, its no longer fair game and is no longer a meaningful comparison. now its like comparing apples and oranges. The only way to have fair and balanced comparisons is if you compare stock factory cars. Cause every single owner will mod the car to their liking, and you end up with 10000 diff variations and 10000 diff cars.

1) What if someone doesnt like having somethin like a 4" TBE exhaust which makes the car sound like a Russian farm tractor... he now doesnt make as much power as someone who doesnt care what the car sounds like.
2) what if someone doesnt have thousands to invest in mods?
3) what if someone is content with what the car already has from the factory?
4) what if someone doesnt want to void the warranty for the first few years?

the point is, you cannot compare mods, cause then every single car is gonna be diff... its not just gonna be about IX v. X anymore, now its gonna be IX v. IX, and, X v. X

so the way i see it, this whole Thread is only about factory stock models - IX vs. X, while i do submit that a cars' potential to be modded does figure into the equation, and might be a consideration for a perspective buyer.
People buy evos to leave them stock? news to me
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
evo X > Evo Ix > Evo Viii > Evo Vii > Evo Vi > Evo V > Evo Iv > Evo Iii > Evo Ii > Evo I
Can you elaborate on this more? Simply saying each generation the Evolution got better than the previous is bs. Most hardcore enthusiasts would agree the "rawest" fastest, and best Evolution was the VI, so that basicly throws what you said out the window. It would also mean the Evo III is a turdbox compared to the IX, and (hahahaha) the X, which also is crap.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:51 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
I did.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:54 PM

i'll always love and miss my ct9a evo... the thing is... i'm loving my evoX everyday. i'll really have to see my next track day but the overall feel and balance of this car is amazing.

unless you're a drag racer, i don't see how this can really be an argument...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
Can you elaborate on this more? Simply saying each generation the Evolution got better than the previous is bs. Most hardcore enthusiasts would agree the "rawest" fastest, and best Evolution was the VI, so that basicly throws what you said out the window. It would also mean the Evo III is a turdbox compared to the IX, and (hahahaha) the X, which also is crap.
nope. not true. what you are prefering the fastest as a VI, is a spec edition from the VI the TME.
The VI wasn't the fastest. the evos always hower around the same acceleration numbers but the lap times was always improved. Why? because the Evo is not a drag car . It is a rally and road race car. And yes they did improved them every single new edition.
and that is alone shows your knowlidge ...
After the VI TME edition/.because it was so successful/ They start to making spec editions. and handed out to ralliart UK.
They started to make the FQ series. They did on the VI too, and all they own Spec cars where faster then a TME.
So i will say it not to fancy way, they are a same as a Buschur or the AMS stage build cars, with factory/reduced/ warranty.
IF the AMS or the Buschur gets a factory warranty recognized back up nation wide,
Then they would be equal Spec edition compare to the FQ or the TME.
I know it is a dream breaking fact but it is.

more about for you from VI Spec editions to understand why the UK Ralliart get the hands on the spec editions from there.
Now they call all of them a FQ series. /F$%cking Quick/
http://www.freewebs.com/lancerevoclu...aleditions.htm

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 8, 2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, absolutely. They're great cars stock.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

i know one guy who have his Evo bone stock out of ... a lot.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

YES, people do keep them stock! but I think u missed my original point! my point was that since modding is person-specific, and involves way too many variables (as I listed above), the only way to have a fair comparison between IX and X is to compare stock cars. If you took basic math in high-school, you will recall that In order to have a balanced equation, you always need a constant.

having said that, I agree with you that a vast majority of people buy Evos to mod them - and the reason is simple, because this car comes from the factory with an unrealized potential. It is common knowledge that the Evos, for one reason or another, are NOT 100% optimized at the factory, such as most cars are today

Last edited by S6devil; Nov 8, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, comparing stock to stock isn't always the best method because of variations in the quality of the stock tune. For instance, the stock 9 tune is much better than the stock X tune. While both benefit greatly from reflashes, the X picks up a larger power gain do to a richer starting air fuel ratio and a better cylinder head. So, should this make comparing a stock 9 with a reflash to a stock X with a reflash an unfair comparison? If we make more power mod for mod than you do, that's just the nature of the beast and you can't make excuses about why it isn't fair. Now if the cars aren't equally modded then yes, it's unfair, but that shouldn't even be in question for obvious reasons.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
YES, people do keep them stock! but I think u missed my original point! my point was that since modding is person-specific, and involves way too many variables (as I listed above), the only way to have a fair comparison between IX and X is to compare stock cars. If you took basic math in high-school, you will recall that In order to have a balanced equation, you always need a constant.

having said that, I agree with you that a vast majority of people buy Evos to mod them - and the reason is simple, because this car comes from the factory with an unrealized potential. It is common knowledge that the Evos, for one reason or another, are NOT 100% optimized at the factory, such as most cars are today
"the only way to have a fair comparison between IX and X is to compare stock cars.
having said that, I agree with you that a vast majority of people buy Evos to mod them - and the reason is simple, because this car comes from the factory with an unrealized potential. It is common knowledge that the Evos, for one reason or another, are NOT 100% optimized at the factory, such as most cars are today"

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
The X is definitely a better overall car. The 9 has a bit more feedback in the wheel and is a little faster in a straight line, but the X does pretty much everything else better and looks better while doing it. Anyone who doesn't think so is fooling themselves. The 9 fanboys will come around eventually. Hell, half of them that talked so much trash about the X when it first came out have gone out and bought one. That says all that needs to be said.
a little on the cocky side
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

last i checked the 9 posted better numbers in just about every test. dont talk down on our cars just cause u got a x
i think the x looks like **** compared to a previous version of the evo but regardless of that it is still a great car. the ppl that are crying over this issue are ones that cannot deal with change. The x is here like or not, and it isnt going to dissapear. Besides this aggresion should be redirected towards our rival car the subie now thats one ugly **** of a car.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SASD209
I did.
2nd, nothing wrong with a stock evo. My X is sill stock and its fine. When I get the time I might throw on an exhaust or something but even if there werent any mods for it, the Stock X would still be awesome.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Parikh1234
2nd, nothing wrong with a stock evo. My X is sill stock and its fine. When I get the time I might throw on an exhaust or something but even if there werent any mods for it, the Stock X would still be awesome.
get a tune for it. just keep it stock if you like it. drop in filter/the car is still stock/ and the tune .
you will be blown away about the difference.
/i would do a test pipe - drop in - tune only, and you will be basicly stock, but what a difference!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
get a tune for it. just keep it stock if you like it. drop in filter/the car is still stock/ and the tune .
you will be blown away about the difference.
/i would do a test pipe - drop in - tune only, and you will be basicly stock, but what a difference!
I am gonna do:

Tune
Intake
IC & IC Pipe
Wastegate
Exhaust

maybe one or two things, nothing more.

As long as I fall inbetween 350-400 whp im fine, even if its in the 330s.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX