Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i dont know i didn't drove the X with the cusco.
But , as far as i know usually racers leave the AYC in the car. But they do upgrade the rear diffs.
Like the Eu VIII and IX.
Now the X is too new, so i dont have any feed back on that.
The future will tell.
As soon as you are touch the suspension and anything is changes the handling , the biggest factor is a set up and adjustments.
So there is many many different factor involved to get a good handling. Example:
You can have a most advanced coil over set up if you have a bad adjustment on it. You might even will find the factory car run faster on track then you.
ETC.

So the comparision is always the best if you talking about handling between two model is a factory car.

That is my opinion. about that.
lol wha?? since when do you argue that comparison tests on evos should be stock? Weren't you one of many who were saying it's a moot point because most people mod their evos anyway?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
lol wha?? since when do you argue that comparison tests on evos should be stock? Weren't you one of many who were saying it's a moot point because most people mod their evos anyway?
yes , but when you go for non stock comparison , then you should compere the same level of modification cars.

Now in that post we dont know they ar on the same level. Only thing we know they are modified. Equally? I dont know... Are you?

So if they are equally modifed then , here is the best part. set up the same /right/ way?

The CT9A chassis have 5 years racing history in the US. So many track days, and twiking.
The CZ4A dont even have a year... And finished the 2nd place ...there.

I hope you know, what is the set up difference experience in these case.

So power is not hard to compere.
Handling is a different story. SO there is always the best compere the bases, OEM vs OEM.

Not to mention if one car set it up for laguna seca is not sure will shine on VIR or Lime Rock.

Do they readjust for the track and have enough experience with the car vs the CT9A?
Or do you use a same set up in rain or in dry? Cold or hot?

there is lot more question can be raised in handling. so it is a never ending story.

So that is why i said what i said about handling.

also i kinda not remember what you saying about modified comparison.
Did i said in the stock vs stock thread the stock will be faster then a modified , or what is your point here?

i do remember i said the power vs power thread the evos is 90% tuned or modified anyway so stock vs stock power is not relevant in the evo comparison.
But i cant recall any handling related post from me as a tuned vs tuned. Basically because what i just said here.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 7, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But , as far as i know usually racers leave the AYC in the car. But they do upgrade the rear diffs.
The stock rear DIFF is the AYC. Once you remove it for another one, like Cusco, AYC is gone.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
The stock rear DIFF is the AYC. Once you remove it for another one, like Cusco, AYC is gone.
there is other things you can do with the AYC.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

yes , but when you go for non stock comparison , then you should compere the same level of modification cars.

Now in that post we dont know they ar on the same level. Only thing we know they are modified. Equally? I dont know... Are you?

So if they are equally modifed then , here is the best part. set up the same /right/ way?

The CT9A chassis have 5 years racing history in the US. So many track days end twiking.
The CZ4A dont even have a year... And finished the 2nd place ...there.

I hope you know what is the experience on set up difference in these case.

So power is not hard to compere.
Handling is a different story. SO there is alwasy the best . Compere tha bases. OEM vs OEM.

Not to mention if one car set it up for laguna seca is not sure will shine on VIR or Lime Rock.

Do they re adjust for the track and have enough experience with the car vs the CT9A?
Or do you use a same set up in rain or in dry? Cold or hot?

there is lot more question can be raised in handling. so it is a never ending story.

So that is why i said what i said about handling.
Yes, but I'm sure that's a question you can ask the drivers of both cars

In terms of suspension set ups, I think it's similar to how power mods have been. You take a basic set of rules (timing, boost, freer flowing exhaust, etc./ stiffer suspension, sway bars and whatever), and you start tweaking from there. I highly doubt it would take years to get a very good suspension set up on a new car. Improvements in technology, knowledge, and information have made this possible.
Like a previous example, the new 3.7L on the G37 and Z has already been proven to make 5xx whp on stock block.. It's because they know what to do how to tune an engine.

In terms of having the best set up.. Well I'm sure you could go even farther and say that every single corner on any given track has a different optimal set up for the suspension.
Suspensions are tweaked at every single track (like the Viper ACR), and I no longer think it takes very long for suspension engineers to come up with a very good suspension set up.
With the previous chassis, they had more problems to fix because of the problems of the CT9A, and they had to come up with crazier and crazier set ups to deal with the understeer.
That's why I'm posing the Tre rear as a possible solution/match for CT9A guys who get dusted in corners by the new X

Cheers!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is other things you can do with the AYC.
Like what? Active YAW control sends power to either rear wheel. Other aftermarket diffs don't do that. So what else can it do?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, but I'm sure that's a question you can ask the drivers of both cars

In terms of suspension set ups, I think it's similar to how power mods have been. You take a basic set of rules (timing, boost, freer flowing exhaust, etc./ stiffer suspension, sway bars and whatever), and you start tweaking from there. I highly doubt it would take years to get a very good suspension set up on a new car. Improvements in technology, knowledge, and information have made this possible.
Like a previous example, the new 3.7L on the G37 and Z has already been proven to make 5xx whp on stock block.. It's because they know what to do how to tune an engine.

In terms of having the best set up.. Well I'm sure you could go even farther and say that every single corner on any given track has a different optimal set up for the suspension.
Suspensions are tweaked at every single track (like the Viper ACR), and I no longer think it takes very long for suspension engineers to come up with a very good suspension set up.
With the previous chassis, they had more problems to fix because of the problems of the CT9A, and they had to come up with crazier and crazier set ups to deal with the understeer.
That's why I'm posing the Tre rear as a possible solution/match for CT9A guys who get dusted in corners by the new X

Cheers!
so that is why in suspension stock vs stock.
Also the ACR viper is not a year old/ like chassis etc. Fact that is one very close car to they track car .

The CT9A it needs a good tweak to do a same as the Stock X does.
So that tell's you they are a same in handling?
Not for me.

the power is still much easier to compere. as its been a long time now in this forum.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

so that is why in suspension stock vs stock.
Also the ACR viper is not a year old/ like chassis etc. Fact that is one very close car to they track car .

The CT9A it needs a good tweak to do a same as the Stock X does.
So that tell's you they are a same in handling?
Not for me.

the power is still much easier to compere. as its been a long time now in this forum.
No, Im saying I think all it needs to make comparable is the Tre rear diff, before getting into suspension tuning.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Like what? Active YAW control sends power to either rear wheel. Other aftermarket diffs don't do that. So what else can it do?
.Yes you are right.
I just remember , you know what was an upgrade besides the two pump. The newest ayc swap.

So you are right , the X doesnt have an AYC upgrade yet.
Unless its need two pump , but i dont know that one yet.

You are right.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

No, Im saying I think all it needs to make comparable is the Tre rear diff, before getting into suspension tuning.
oh , yes that true.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, one area where I feel the IX is better is in the heater department. It's been cold as **** up here lately and the X just doesn't heat as well as my old car. Not sure why.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thegame
Well, one area where I feel the IX is better is in the heater department. It's been cold as **** up here lately and the X just doesn't heat as well as my old car. Not sure why.
I never would of thought something like that would even be important. Im from California. Almost never use the heater.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how come i cannot find a video comparing the evo IX vs the X!?? all i found was that crappy review by "murder-trend"... you see a review done by TopGear and its soo much better than others. It almost seems like they read a script and act...

anyways im pretty surprised how there are not many video reviews of 2006 VS 2008 mitsu evolution... of was this done intentionally by mitsubishi or someone else... conspiracy??
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

conspiracy? yeah right.
How many you will find evo IX vs evo VIII /since only sold in US/ or VI. after less then a year production?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

conspiracy? yeah right.
How many you will find evo IX vs evo VIII /since only sold in US/ or VI. after less then a year production?
I think an official test between a IX and a X is more legitimate, since it is a major major update with new chassis, engine, 4wd system etc.. It's a completely new car as opposed to a refreshed one.

No conspiracy, but I've wondered the same as well. Why hasn't there been some sort of evo ix vs evo x vs 07 sti vs 08 sti comparo, I would really have though that road and track would have done it.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX