Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are entitled to your opinion. I made my case in my last post, so there's not any need for me to restate it. For the record, the shocks and springs on the MR are not better than the GSR; they are more compliant and give a better ride, but at the expense of handling performance. Every single magazine has commented on this, saying that it has more body roll than the GSR and doesn't corner as flat, and it shows on the skidpad; .96 compared to .99 Gs. In one test, I believe it was the edmunds "world challenge," they even said that the MR had issues with bottoming out when going over fast dips in the road because the suspension is too soft. The MR is an impressive car in it's own right, but it has lots of caveats. Better daily driver, but the GSR is the better performance machine.

P.S. Best motoring is whack. Their results almost never match up with everyone else's tests. For that one test where the MR was faster in the 1/4, there are 30 that show it the other way around.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 21, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I found that link about the updated driveline components, there is new thread on the EVOX general forum about it.
http://www.forbes.com/businesswire/f...1006388r1.html
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
I found that link about the updated driveline components, there is new thread on the EVOX general forum about it.
http://www.forbes.com/businesswire/f...1006388r1.html
So the 09s will get a good HP b and torque boost???????? we shall see..
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
So the 09s will get a good HP b and torque boost???????? we shall see..
that would suck unless mitsu gave us a nice flash to keep the 08 and 09/10s similar in power.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt power levels will be changed beyond simply reflecting the improvements from the current reflash that is available to all current X owners and that comes on all X built after april (or whenever it was). Usually, big changes/improvements won't be made until the model has been out for 2 years, so as not to hurt sales of current 08s left on lots and to not cause dissatisfaction among current 08 owners. It's all marketing...

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I doubt power levels will be changed beyond simply reflecting the improvements from the current reflash that is available to all current X owners and that comes on all X built after april (or whenever it was). Usually, big changes/improvements won't be made until the model has been out for 2 years, so as not to hurt sales of current 08s left on lots and to not cause dissatisfaction among current 08 owners. It's all marketing...
if they just solve the ECU problem , the X should gain over 10 hp. Since on dyno usually they get that.

SO right there they will exceed the 305 hp margin. Even the mid range will be improved. So the track time should also
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still always going to be a big fan of the Evo VIII, IX cause I used to own both. Not to much for the Evo X but should have keep the 4G63. Anyway I'm for the Evo IX
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
I'm still always going to be a big fan of the Evo VIII, IX cause I used to own both. Not to much for the Evo X but should have keep the 4G63. Anyway I'm for the Evo IX
this is going to be controversial, if wasnt enough yet ...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I know it will be hella hard, but I got to still love the Evo VIII, IX I drove the Evo X MR but maybe because it was a auto that's why I didn't like it that much. lol But we will soon have a Evo X MR that we are building completely up. Even getting the Transmission Flashed to hold the power. We start the new build in a few weeks.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Good lord, will this thread ever die? This horse has been beaten into ground for so long there's not even a horse anymore. The 9 is a better car for drag racing, the X is a better car for road racing. Both can do well at both, but are better suited to their natural strengths; the X handles better, the 9's faster. Nuff said, let it go. Oh and vivid, don't judge the X based on driving the softer sprung, auto tragic MR. The GSR stays more true to it's roots. In any case, drive what you like.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I know it will be hella hard, but I got to still love the Evo VIII, IX I drove the Evo X MR but maybe because it was a auto that's why I didn't like it that much. lol But we will soon have a Evo X MR that we are building completely up. Even getting the Transmission Flashed to hold the power. We start the new build in a few weeks.
i dont know... I wasnt really happy with my 04 VIII when i test drove it... I can imagine how it would turned out that test drive, if even would have a SST...
Only my experience told me get it over the Subi...

But that is nothing to do with the engine ...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Hehehe woot!

And STi2EvoX, you're talking about stock IX's and X's right??
I recently rode in a tre equipped IX, and man, I liked it a lot better than the X. Throttle rotation is just plain awesome. I can't wait til spring to put one in and fix some of the suspension stuff I've been meaning to get to. I wholeheartedly believe a IX with the whiteline set up and Tre rear diff can handle just as well as any X, and stay even on up through coilovers, sways, whatever else.

I'm always gonna have great respect for the X though. So many things make it a better overall car. Stuff like, you'd think the tire wear would also be worse because of the extra weight, but because of the awesome (perfect?) suspension geometry, tire wear is actually better.

It's really an even match, acceleration - IX's lighter weight vs X's better engine + wider tires, braking - lighter weight vs X's better brakes and wider tires, handling - lighter weight + whiteline + tre vs SAWC, tires, stiffer chassis, on and on and on..

Not that things just match and even out like that, but they do play out to end up pretty evenly.

PS, Happy almost new years!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

happy new year for you too !
Old Jan 1, 2009, 04:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some are citing a .5 second difference on a road course between the two cars, yet they were shod with completely different tires (!), not to mention every other difference between the tests. That's just ludicrous.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Last edited by FJF; Jan 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

JDM X RS comes with 1.5 way rear LSD stock, for not having AYC + S-AWC (and ABS). I'm not sure if IX RS does.

JDM IX RS vs X RS is going to be a good match of new suspension geometry and engine vs 110kg weight advantage.

Where as USDM IX GSR vs X GSR is going to involve S-AWC and AYC as well as even more weight disparity.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX