Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
JDM X RS comes with 1.5 way rear LSD stock, for not having AYC + S-AWC (and ABS). I'm not sure if IX RS does.

JDM IX RS vs X RS is going to be a good match of new suspension geometry and engine vs 110kg weight advantage.

Where as USDM IX GSR vs X GSR is going to involve S-AWC and AYC as well as even more weight disparity.
There is many more differences , between JDM and others are unspoken...
Some times even the break pads size are different, turbo wheels, valve sizing etc etc...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, so keeping it JDM IX RS vs JDM X RS would be the fairest test just looking at evo X's handling improvement, and whether it can overcome the 110kg.

Comparing JDM IX GSR vs JDM X GSR (non-premium version) would be a better comparison than USDM IX GSR vs USDM X GSR as there is less variation to consider (AYC).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:47 AM

ill volentere my EVO X GSR
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X owner: just drove an Evo VIII

I own an 08 Evo X MR. Absolutely love it.

I've also become fascinated with all things Evo. Bought Evo books, read all of the Evo forums, etc. So, I've always been curious what an earlier Evo feels like. I currently drive an E36 M3 on the track, and I was thinking about picking up an older Evo to replace the M3 as a track beater. (My X is too nice, and it's still under warranty, which I don't want to lose--it will see no track or mods until the warranty is up.)

So, I found a 2005 Evo VIII for sale, and I test drove it today. 19K miles, electric blue (cool color), minimal mods.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the VIII, and I wasn't expecting to be.

I thought it was _so_ primitive compared to the X. I was prepared for a low-rent interior, but this thing felt like it would fall apart as soon as I touched it. This particular car didn't seem abused, but at 19K miles it seemed like it was falling apart.

I understand how people say the VIII is more "raw" compared to the X, which is a trait I thought I would like, but this felt more cheap rather than raw. The engine pulled nicely, but there was more lag before the turbo kicked in compared to the X. The brakes also seemed weaker, but that may have been because it needed pads. The chassis was definitely less stiff than the X, and rattled around much more. My X feels like so much more of a "solid piece".

More than anything, I wanted to see how the steering feel of the VIII compared to my X, because I heard that the X lost some of that famous "feel". Well, you X owners have nothing to worry about. The X just felt so much more precise, turns in just as quick, and just "feels better".

OK, maybe I drove a bum car. And, I really wasn't expecting to feel this way about the VIII. But, I can't deny what I feel--the X is really a much more superior car than the VIII.

I want to drive an IX now, to see if the generational improvements help any. But, the way I feel now, I'd rather spend a little more and pick up a used X now and turn that into a track beater, considering the X GSR, especially a used one, are selling for just a few thousand more than a nice VIII/IX. The X is just so much better.

Let the flames begin...

--michael
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I also own a 2008 EVO, it happens to be the car of my dreams, I'd take this ride over any make or model regardless of price or power! I've had some issues with the car and it's rather picky in general, I do regret purchasing it from the dealership (Medina Mitsubishi), outside of that it's everything and then some! The X is a great ride regardless of it's quirks, however I'm a EVO enthusiast, I enjoy all EVO's from 1 to 10 but prefer the X over the priors due to style, handling and livability! Lets just hope Mitsubishi still continues to build EVO's for the U.S.!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:45 PM

good to know thanks for the review now let me get out of the way of this bombs that people are going to throw at you.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Ive always loved Evo and wanted a 9, i drove it and sat in it and just could not get past the interior, lack of cruise and auto climate control and passed on it. When you're paying 30k for a car and you're going to drive it daily those two things are must haves IMO.

When I drove and sat in the X, all those things plus more were there. It might be a tad slower stock but mine only lasted about 3 weeks before it was modded so that was a moot point for me. I can now run low 12's while watching a movie in my stock navigation system.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

weneversleep ---> ofcourse the 8/9 is going to be much more simplier or cheaper feel. that was mitsu's intent, to raise price of the 10 and refinement to go into the m3-ish territory. however based on your description you have driven a dud. many evos get their parts stripped down back to stock before sale but owner will NEVER reflash it back to stock. tune is probably way off either becoming pig rich or too lean and pulling timing.

even more then the 9, the 8 will "feel" stronger in the mid-range because the torque comes so suddenly. if you didnt feel it, cuz it probably wasnt there hehe
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:55 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

I couldn't disagree with you more. The VIII's steering is far better than the X's. The interior might seem cheap, but the plastics are actually thicker on the VIII than they are on the X. Yes, there is more turbo lag, but the VIII is faster stock for stock. I'll take the VIII over the X any day of the week.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

what part of h-town do you live in? i know a couple 8/9's that you could drive and they would make you fall in love! at the same time a friend of mine has a white X and his cars tune is amazing so it runs extremely well and its just built better so i know what you mean about it feeling soild any ways if your looking for a "track" only car there is a 97 single turbo supra for sale, its white and is making about 800+hp with out race gas, it is a 6 speed not a auto tho
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't bother testing a IX if you didn't like the 8. How did the tires look? If you put budget tires on an 8/9 then it will drive like ****

Originally Posted by 1evo2h8
any ways if your looking for a "track" only car there is a 97 single turbo supra for sale, its white and is making about 800+hp with out race gas, it is a 6 speed not a auto tho
I was under the impression he meant road course, not drag strip. Evos get expensive fast on the strip due to breakage

Last edited by CaliMR; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Are you trying to brag that you own a X?

I'm not taking this offensive because I own a VIII, but I think you're kinda going at it the wrong way. The VIII doesn't have the MIVEC to help out in the low end so turbo lag is evident. The X has larger disc brakes then the VIII/IX so brake should be better. All of the magazine said that the X has a stiffer chasis so that's a given.

As for the interior, I think the X's interior looks much cheaper then the VIII/IX. When I sit in the X, all I see is cheap plastic all over the place. Especially when it doesn't have the Navi, it looks like something that GM would design.

However I think it's just plain stupid that you're giving the thumbs down to the past generation of the Evo. The X is suppose to surpass the IX and VIII so it shouldn't be surprising that the VIII/IX isn't as good as the X.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

i have driven both bolt on tuned Evo 8 9 and X i prefer the nine. the car you bought must have had a bad tune due to de-modification. the torque in a stock turbo Evo9 feels much stronger than that of an EvoX stock for stock i cant give a review on the track performance but no matter what evo you get they cant make u-turns for sh-
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillaItalian904
but no matter what evo you get they cant make u-turns for sh-

lol I hate having to pull a U-eee...

To the OP, get ready for a ****storm, but there's another thing you forget... safety. The X is about 5x safer than the VIII/IX.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:11 PM

I believe its all a question of what you want and like. As for me i used to own an 05 evo 8 and i loved it, but then again i had a lot done to the suspension and motor (400hp). i will never say i dont love it or miss it, but now i own an 08 evo x, in my opinion i do believe that the ten turns and feels better from that stand point. like some one said most cars wont stay stock so its a question if you do it right, i belive that my ten is a bit better with way less mods than my 8, but i still miss it though. no matter what these cars are great but meant to be cheap, if i wanted luxury i would have bought an m3.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX