Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post. I own a 2005 Evo VIII GSR, in EB

Here are my random thoughts about the 2, after driving the X briefly and spending 90K miles with my stock VIII.

The X still has the same great steering, didn't mess that up and it's the best thing about driving an Evo -- so dialed-in, right out of the box (to use 2 cliches)

The boost does kick in harder on the VIII, not sure if stock vs stock it's any faster than an X, but the 8 shoves you back more suddenly. Also, there is less body roll in the 8. I thought the shifter was LESS notchy in the X than in my 8. The X turns in better than the 8, with less push/understeer and it's more neutral in a corner. That is one big difference between the two.

The X is a lot like the 8, it still makes all the same noises but they are all just quieter. It's a nice car and I am looking forward to owning one.

Considering you also own BMW and Audi, I can see why the VIII felt like a tin can to you.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

^^Hey dont know the corrolla lol. My 2002 Rolla interior is till nicer than my X, and had way less rattles lol. I appreciate the review how ever especially from a driving instructor. I am sure he will drive a IX as well. There is nothing wrong with someone giving a personal review after driving both cars. I know I went and looked at the IX after all the killer reviews and just could not deal with the interior. I still feel the X is lacking but its acceptable with the nav system.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I currently drive an E36 M3 on the track, and I was thinking about picking up an older Evo to replace the M3 as a track beater.

If your objective is to replace the M3, I don't think you can go wrong with the IX as a track car.

If you check the for-sale forums, you'll see that there are some great deals on low-mileage IX's. Throw on a good set of coilovers and a bigger rear sway along with a good ECU Flash tune and you'll have alot of fun instructing and thrashing your PCA counterparts!

The X is going to cost more up front, and you are still going to have to upgrade the suspension and tune the car. There is an interesting thread in the Motor Sports section by AST as they begin to learn about the X and setting it up properly for road course work https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...b-one-lap.html

There are things that I like about my X better than my IX, and there are things about my IX that I like better than my X, but at the end of the day if I were looking for just a track car I'd say the IX will be your best bang for the buck.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:59 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Having owned all three, I'd rate them IX > X >> VIII.

The IX is a much better car than the VIII, especially the 03s like I had. The VIII seat coverings are way down from the IX, the turbo is smaller, and there is no Mivec. You needed quite a few mods on an 03 to equal 06 power.

There are things about the X I like more than the IX, but I think an overseas IX would be the way to go since we got screwed out of SAYC. As the USA cars are, I think the X handles best by far because of this, but the steering rack is a bit quicker in the VIIIs and IXs.

If I had my choice, I'd have a hybrid of a IX and a X. Give me a IX SE with MR suspension and the aluminum roof, make it Electric Blue (since you couldn't get them that way in the USA), the IX engine, and transmission, but the full X SAWC system. Then the X front seats with IX style seat covers. Top if off with X wheels, tires, and brakes. Yum.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:06 PM

I own an 08 Evo X MR. Absolutely love it.

I've also become fascinated with all things Evo. Bought Evo books, read all of the Evo forums, etc. So, I've always been curious what an earlier Evo feels like. I currently drive an E36 M3 on the track, and I was thinking about picking up an older Evo to replace the M3 as a track beater. (My X is too nice, and it's still under warranty, which I don't want to lose--it will see no track or mods until the warranty is up.)

So, I found a 2005 Evo VIII for sale, and I test drove it today. 19K miles, electric blue (cool color), minimal mods.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the VIII, and I wasn't expecting to be.

I thought it was _so_ primitive compared to the X. I was prepared for a low-rent interior, but this thing felt like it would fall apart as soon as I touched it. This particular car didn't seem abused, but at 19K miles it seemed like it was falling apart.

I understand how people say the VIII is more "raw" compared to the X, which is a trait I thought I would like, but this felt more cheap rather than raw. The engine pulled nicely, but there was more lag before the turbo kicked in compared to the X. The brakes also seemed weaker, but that may have been because it needed pads. The chassis was definitely less stiff than the X, and rattled around much more. My X feels like so much more of a "solid piece".

More than anything, I wanted to see how the steering feel of the VIII compared to my X, because I heard that the X lost some of that famous "feel". Well, you X owners have nothing to worry about. The X just felt so much more precise, turns in just as quick, and just "feels better".

OK, maybe I drove a bum car. And, I really wasn't expecting to feel this way about the VIII. But, I can't deny what I feel--the X is really a much more superior car than the VIII.

I want to drive an IX now, to see if the generational improvements help any. But, the way I feel now, I'd rather spend a little more and pick up a used X now and turn that into a track beater, considering the X GSR, especially a used one, are selling for just a few thousand more than a nice VIII/IX. The X is just so much better.

Let the flames begin...

--michael
Man, how does the other half live?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cahst
Man, how does the other half live?
I'm assuming this was a dig in response to my saying I'd buy an X to turn into a track car.

I've been thinking about it all day now. I've been following the classifieds and the auctions for VIIIs/IXs for months now. You're not going to find a nice unmolested VIII for less than $18-20K. A nice IX is going to cost you, oh, $22-25K, maybe even more.

There are used X GSRs out there for $25K. Maybe they've been thrashed in their short life, but most likely they were dumped because of financial reasons this early. And, a brand new base X GSR can be had for about $29K.

I was originally thinking it would be cheaper to go with an earlier car. Now, I'm rethinking it, especially after my experience with the VIII today.

And, finally, if you think these #s are "rich" for a track car, well, you haven't spent much time setting up German cars for the track, and fixing them up so that they are somewhat reliable in a track environment. I don't want to say what I've spent on my M3 over the past couple of years, but let's just say that I've more than tripled my original purchase price.

That's precisely the point--I've spent too much money on my BMW, and I want to get into a cheaper track car. I know that people say an Evo is expensive to track, but I can't imagine it being any worse than my M3.

--michael
Old Jan 2, 2009, 07:41 PM
Account Disabled

I'm assuming this was a dig in response to my saying I'd buy an X to turn into a track car.

I've been thinking about it all day now. I've been following the classifieds and the auctions for VIIIs/IXs for months now. You're not going to find a nice unmolested VIII for less than $18-20K. A nice IX is going to cost you, oh, $22-25K, maybe even more.

There are used X GSRs out there for $25K. Maybe they've been thrashed in their short life, but most likely they were dumped because of financial reasons this early. And, a brand new base X GSR can be had for about $29K.

I was originally thinking it would be cheaper to go with an earlier car. Now, I'm rethinking it, especially after my experience with the VIII today.

And, finally, if you think these #s are "rich" for a track car, well, you haven't spent much time setting up German cars for the track, and fixing them up so that they are somewhat reliable in a track environment. I don't want to say what I've spent on my M3 over the past couple of years, but let's just say that I've more than tripled my original purchase price.

That's precisely the point--I've spent too much money on my BMW, and I want to get into a cheaper track car. I know that people say an Evo is expensive to track, but I can't imagine it being any worse than my M3.

--michael
1) Track your sh*tty EvoX
2) Buy an 05 Evo8 or 06 Evo9 and baby that.
3) Evo parts arent cheap, at lest let me take a hit on what you are smoking.
4) FYI I have an EvoX and wish I can turn back time to get an 06 Evo9 RS, the fastest Evo in the US

Last edited by redteam22003; Jan 2, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvbf1
Are you trying to brag that you own a X?

I'm not taking this offensive because I own a VIII, but I think you're kinda going at it the wrong way. The VIII doesn't have the MIVEC to help out in the low end so turbo lag is evident. The X has larger disc brakes then the VIII/IX so brake should be better. All of the magazine said that the X has a stiffer chasis so that's a given.

As for the interior, I think the X's interior looks much cheaper then the VIII/IX. When I sit in the X, all I see is cheap plastic all over the place. Especially when it doesn't have the Navi, it looks like something that GM would design.

However I think it's just plain stupid that you're giving the thumbs down to the past generation of the Evo. The X is suppose to surpass the IX and VIII so it shouldn't be surprising that the VIII/IX isn't as good as the X.
wow - i can't believe you just said the VIII interior looks better then the X...wow...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
My pops got an X, put all the basic bolt-ons, tune... 364whp 330tq, My VIII MR is about 315whp 315tq, and i stomped his X... But thats beside the point, when i drove his X i felt like i was driving a bentley! the seat are ugly imo but comfortable as hell around corners, but it was a really smooth evolution.. im only 22 so i can give a crap less about comfort, but i really enjoyed driving the X(however iit is on JIC FLTA2's with 265's :-)) i drove it for about half an hour, smooth yet heavy and slow.. Then i get in my car to leave, and say "now this is a ****in racecar!"

Moral is, the X is still a bamf, but not a flatout eat ur soul fun car
teach your dad how to drive! weak comparison...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

I own an 08 Evo X MR. Absolutely love it.

I've also become fascinated with all things Evo. Bought Evo books, read all of the Evo forums, etc. So, I've always been curious what an earlier Evo feels like. I currently drive an E36 M3 on the track, and I was thinking about picking up an older Evo to replace the M3 as a track beater. (My X is too nice, and it's still under warranty, which I don't want to lose--it will see no track or mods until the warranty is up.)

So, I found a 2005 Evo VIII for sale, and I test drove it today. 19K miles, electric blue (cool color), minimal mods.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the VIII, and I wasn't expecting to be.

I thought it was _so_ primitive compared to the X. I was prepared for a low-rent interior, but this thing felt like it would fall apart as soon as I touched it. This particular car didn't seem abused, but at 19K miles it seemed like it was falling apart.

I understand how people say the VIII is more "raw" compared to the X, which is a trait I thought I would like, but this felt more cheap rather than raw. The engine pulled nicely, but there was more lag before the turbo kicked in compared to the X. The brakes also seemed weaker, but that may have been because it needed pads. The chassis was definitely less stiff than the X, and rattled around much more. My X feels like so much more of a "solid piece".

More than anything, I wanted to see how the steering feel of the VIII compared to my X, because I heard that the X lost some of that famous "feel". Well, you X owners have nothing to worry about. The X just felt so much more precise, turns in just as quick, and just "feels better".

OK, maybe I drove a bum car. And, I really wasn't expecting to feel this way about the VIII. But, I can't deny what I feel--the X is really a much more superior car than the VIII.

I want to drive an IX now, to see if the generational improvements help any. But, the way I feel now, I'd rather spend a little more and pick up a used X now and turn that into a track beater, considering the X GSR, especially a used one, are selling for just a few thousand more than a nice VIII/IX. The X is just so much better.

Let the flames begin...

--michael
I would disagree with you its good that you like your X and all but i wasnt impressed by it at all first off the car is ugly and looks like it belongs in an Acura dealership not being sold as an evo talk about cheap interior i cant disagree there but the X is no BMW it still has a cheap *** interior. the X felt weak as **** to me so its not like the X is any better thats my opinion.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tarmac4g63
I would disagree with you its good that you like your X and all but i wasnt impressed by it at all first off the car is ugly and looks like it belongs in an Acura dealership not being sold as an evo talk about cheap interior i cant disagree there but the X is no BMW it still has a cheap *** interior. the X felt weak as **** to me so its not like the X is any better thats my opinion.
"felt weak as ****" ?? look at the numbers stock for stock...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

despite all the reality about how good EVO X handles and performs, the outcome speaks for themselves. One of the most hardcore race event in Japan, "Super Taikyu" series ( in English it means "Super Endurance") proves that track setup EVOX will not outrun the EVO IX.
watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbD4QLMQvs
both of these cars have the same suspension components, but EVO X is a whole new different chasis, stronger supposely. But in reality, when both car are being modified under the same regulation, the outcome is very interesting... I wasn't suprised at all.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
you have to be crazy to really think that, i cant think of one person who thinks the IX/VII gen lancers interior looks better than the newer ones...those interiors were horrid the corollas then had better interiors

every review you read about the X out there will say how much a step up the interior is over the previous models
Some people dont buy cars based on reviews. Honestly I prefer the look of the VIII much more than the IX/X. But the handling of the X, in stock form, is something I can't argue against.

The SSL package actually makes the car much more appealing, than the other editions.

If I was to do it all over again. VIII body, IX engine, and X suspension, and call it a day.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ice1874193
"felt weak as ****" ?? look at the numbers stock for stock...
I bolded the important word in that phrase. Everyone's perception is different.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

come drive my 35R evo V///

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX