Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsumanny
Many would agree that even though the X is a very capable car the IX is the last true evo. The X looks have not growin on me, and its great that it looks more "refined"and less "boy racer" but all the exposed plastic is comical. Theres a reason X's r sittin in lots and 8-9 values have leveled off.
The Xs are sitting on lots because we're in the worst economy in the past 80 years. The VIIIs/IXs values haven't leveled off as much as their owners haven't realized that they're overpricing them for the market. Go watch the "For Sale" section and notice that it's the same cars being bumped week after week because there are no takers.

It's unfounded posts like this that force the moderators to lock these threads. They're both great cars and to call one a true Evo and the other not is asinine.

And to answer the thread starter, I previously owned an VIII four years ago and after a 3.5 year hiatus, I don't miss my VIII other than for nostalgia purposes.

Last edited by MrBonus; Mar 9, 2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Well I went from a nearly 480whp VIII to my X. Now, i'm getting the 35r top mount kit from ETS installed as I type this... along with stock injectors, stock pump, stock engine everything, all ets bolt ons and we're guesstimating that we'll hit 500-525 whp on a dynojet in a conservative tune for it to be my daily driver on pump + meth. Sooo... my VIII was 470 whp (dynojet) 35r w/cams, bolts, E85 tuned and all bolt ons, upgraded fuel pump and injectors. I can see this X making 40-60whp more than my VIII did with less mods and on pump with meth instead of e85!

What i'm really excited about is that I'm thinking of putting cams in... upgrading fuel system and then try get in near the 550-575whp w/meth + pump for a DD.... sorry guys but just wasn't possible in my VIII as far as I knew!

BTW the looks have really grown on me. I must admit that I wasn't too excited with it at first but chose to buy it based on numbers that it was posting early last year.

Believe it or not, yesterday, was the day I waved goodbye to my VIII (had them both until yesterday). I finaly felt like I kept the better car of the 2 and sold the slower/older one!

EDIT: Numbers are guesstimates according to what results AFI and others have been having with a 35r KIT... I might be a little off... keep a close eye on threads I will be posting results late this week if all goes to plan@

Last edited by gotevo?; Mar 9, 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well, my current X is my first EVO so I am a little off relative to the OP. That said, I previously owned a 92 DSM AWD (Plymouth Laser RS) and watched Mitsu gut these cars when they eliminated the AWD in 2000. At this point in time my Laser was getting old and all that Mitsu had was the EVO. Coming from a sport coupe "look" I just could not wrap myself around the looks of an EVO ... until the X came along and that did it for me. I saw the concept car and patiently waited for the real car to come to fruition over a two year period. So switching from a small, light (3050 lbs) coupe to a much larger, heavier "four door family" car (thats what I tell my insurance agent) was far more of a shift than going from a IX to a X.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
The Xs are sitting on lots because we're in the worst economy in the past 80 years. The VIIIs/IXs values haven't leveled off as much as their owners haven't realized that they're overpricing them for the market. Go watch the "For Sale" section and notice that it's the same cars being bumped week after week because there are no takers.

It's unfounded posts like this that force the moderators to lock these threads. They're both great cars and to call one a true Evo and the other not is asinine.

And to answer the thread starter, I previously owned an VIII four years ago and after a 3.5 year hiatus, I don't miss my VIII other than for nostalgia purposes.
This post is full of win from front to back!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Not even that it's a better car, but unless it was a much worse car why would anyone care enough to regret it?

Close or merge
+1
Quite of few of these types of thread's lurking around, but have been merged!

Originally Posted by MrBonus

Very well said!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

I concede i cant hate it, end of the day its still an evo. Cant deny the performance and cant knock it cuz im not a fan of the look. Id b like disowning a child cuz u think theyre ugly, still ur blood damn it. Still prefer my ix though and would luv to get my hands on vi.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jvb6806
if it doesn't have a 4g63 or 6g72 i don't want it (as far as mitsu is concerned). i was ashamed to say i owned a DSM after 99 and mitsu couldn't make 1 clutch worked... i can't wait for 2 of them to fail.

and those black plastic bits on the X make baby jesus cry.

i do like the regular lancer though... great daily.
You act like the Evo 8-9s had no plastic. The current defuser (assume that is part of what you are talking about) is basically the same as the JDM rear bumper for the 9. Front pumper and grill? Plastic on both, Side skirts? both plastic. Just what are you *****ing about that is all that different?

Style is a matter of taste. The only thing I think that should have been done is better paint and lighter weight....but all cars from japan are currently having both issues (only exception I can think of is the new 370z which is lighter than the previous car) the latter due to new federal regs more than anything.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunerhead
+1
Quite of few of these types of thread's lurking around, but have been merged!

Very well said!
Close or merge yes!!

Now, I love the X, Mitsubishi has done a great thing with it, but we all know this thread is going to either turn sour or turn into a support group rally for X owners verifying their purchases, by stepping over owners of previous evo's. If there was a thread that was going the other way around, it would be surely be closed
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, no regrets at all, i love the 10. Would like to have both but its one or the other, the 10 works perfectly fine with me
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:33 AM

VIII to X any regrets? No

I could not stand the fact that after paying 35k for an 04 Evo VIII back in 04, they where selling for 17k 2 years later and all these Ricer Cholos where buying them and street racing them and the whole old skool evo track evo owners where being replaced by street racing blunt rolling lil wayne fake *** wanksters. Instead of doing meets like the Subaru guys the evo guys where all ex=honda show car entering 1/4 down the block ch0los.

Last edited by blazevo; Mar 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Oh me so hungry Oh me so hungry me eat nothing long time
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Last edited by NoJoy II; Mar 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by blazevo
VIII to X any regrets? No

I could not stand the fact that after paying 35k for an 04 Evo VIII back in 04, they where selling for 17k 2 years later and all these Ricer Cholos where buying them and street racing them and the whole old skool evo track evo owners where being replaced by street racing blunt rolling lil wayne fake *** wanksters. Instead of doing meets like the Subaru guys the evo guys where all ex=honda show car entering 1/4 down the block ch0los.
Dont we all hate this!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gotevo?
Well I went from a nearly 480whp VIII to my X. Now, i'm getting the 35r top mount kit from ETS installed as I type this... along with stock injectors, stock pump, stock engine everything, all ets bolt ons and we're guesstimating that we'll hit 500-525 whp on a dynojet in a conservative tune for it to be my daily driver on pump + meth. Sooo... my VIII was 470 whp (dynojet) 35r w/cams, bolts, E85 tuned and all bolt ons, upgraded fuel pump and injectors. I can see this X making 40-60whp more than my VIII did with less mods and on pump with meth instead of e85!

What i'm really excited about is that I'm thinking of putting cams in... upgrading fuel system and then try get in near the 550-575whp w/meth + pump for a DD.... sorry guys but just wasn't possible in my VIII as far as I knew!

BTW the looks have really grown on me. I must admit that I wasn't too excited with it at first but chose to buy it based on numbers that it was posting early last year.

Believe it or not, yesterday, was the day I waved goodbye to my VIII (had them both until yesterday). I finaly felt like I kept the better car of the 2 and sold the slower/older one!

EDIT: Numbers are guesstimates according to what results AFI and others have been having with a 35r KIT... I might be a little off... keep a close eye on threads I will be posting results late this week if all goes to plan@

OMG please let us know how the engine hold up!!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:02 PM

To each its own

Originally Posted by blazevo
+ 1

Except that a wingless X looks like a mazda 3. I really want to roll around Socal with the Wing but ****! LAPD & CHP are handing out tickets just for driving on the public street and highways.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/y/e/mz...da3_pacing.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/s...x-jul07-04.jpg

To each its own, an even though I do like the Evo X, I like the 8/9 looks that much better. In my honest opinion, the X is a way more polished and civilized car, however, that is not what has historically made the EVOs so appealing. It was its raw performance (Loved the fact that that old Evos didn’t even have cruise control) that made it such an appealing and cool car.

In my opinion, the best looking EVO ever is the 6, closely followed by the 8/9s. And as far as performance goes, I have seen each side bring proof to the table and stir the numbers either way (Power and cornering abilities of both cars). Look it up your self, top gear has several shows comparing the 9 vs X and even against the 08 STI. I have seen just as many videos of sick X making crazy times on tracks as I have seen of 8/9s, (Look up the sick AMS new time attack X, and the record breaking #s of the Cyber Evo in Suzuka). So, depends who you get the info from, but as far as USDM Evos, the new X are the first AYC Evos, so that does give them a significant advantage.

I would have to agree however, that in stock form, it seems the X does respond better to mods, and its AYC (First evo to have it in the US) combined with the new suspension geometry make it a great track car.

Like I said, to each its own, but only when I see the X chassis win a WRC championship or a full race prepped time attack X with better times than the Cyber Evo or the EVO VIII AMS time attack car, only then I will be a believer. Many will say, give it time, the X is a new chassis, and it’s true, I am sure in due time the X will surpass the IX in much if not all forms of racing. Until then, the new Evolution X in my eyes looks more like a regular lancer than ever before (Yes, even more than the Evo I).

Last edited by hacurio1; Mar 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

The first time I saw the X I was a little disappointed Mitsu toned down the looks, especially the fender blisters. I really liked the aggressive looks of the IX- it was more "in your face" kind of looks.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX