Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from an 8, to a 9, and then made the leap to the X. The only gripe is how heavy the beast is. Can you imagine this car w/250 lbs less weight (like a 9)?
Just think about it. The STI can't keep up around a track with less weight and a half-liter more displacement.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:46 PM

i love my evo x gsr, but always wanted a ix
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for anyone that went from a ix to a x

i am planing on getting a x with in the next few weeks or less, now i'm a little worried about some of the problem that you guys are having, for the guys that went from a 8/9 to a x, witch car do you think is a better build/stronger? i have never really had any problems with my 8/9's my ix has 30,000 miles right now and i have stock tires,brakes,clutch and i'm going to have to change them shortly if i dont trade in witch would come out to around $2k (this is not why i'm selling the car)

anyone here have 30,000 miles on there x yet if so any problems??

thanks guys looking forward to what you have to say
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

i test drove a x sss the trans was notchy and it did feel alot slower then my modded ix but i'm not concerned with the stock power lever right now as for an evo its very easy to change that, i just dont want to start modded and then run into major issues with say the trans and then my warranty is shot and i'm on my own, ya no
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

If you drop the clutch all the time then some have lost their clutch. The "notchy" tansmission (at least my experience) gets better with miles and mine has gone away completely unless it is very cold. Judging from Noize's comments, it is more of a problem on the first batch of Xs. Paint and the absence of a 6th/cruising top gear are really my only gripes with the car.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not really sure as to what problems you are referring to? Many of us don't have any problems at all.

If you are talking about the nothiness of the trans, it does usually tend to go away after a few thousand miles. But really, it's not that bad. I had an VIII and it was notchy too. Almost all Evo's are....

I miss the power of my VIII too, but I am slowly working on fixing that. In fact, I will be at the same power with much less mods.

The X handles better and rides better. What more can you ask for?

Plus the trans is heavier and stronger than even previous gen 5 speeds.

It's just a different, and better car in my opinion....in every way.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
You might want to do a search, I think someone might have started a thread already about the comparisons of VIII/IX to the X. IB4TL
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

my x has 33,000 on it. no issues. (im also still on the original flash)
i like it better than the 8 i had cause its more refined...
but on occasion i do miss how the 8 felt.

i have more power in my x than i did my 8... so i dont notice anything there, and the x handles better which makes it more fun.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:20 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Coming from an 8, 9 and now X, let me chime in my few cents...

Stock for stock yeah X wasn't all that powerful compared to my 9 or 8 but keep in mind the power is very very linear compare to the 8 or 9 thus you don't feel the surge of power coming in as much. So on the freeway stepping on it, it is very smooth almost like a V6...Now it drives like a beast with all my mods....

As for the interior...OMG there is no comparison...8 and 9 has the cheapest interior of all time, you can scratch the panels with your bare nails.....X on the other hand has step up a notch in the material they use. Not to mention the overall design of the interior is just much more mature and sleek looking....So for me, it definately deserves another thumbsup compare to older evos...But the headliner is still cheapass material though...The recaros has better lateral support and firmer on the bolsters which is another plus....

As for the drivetrain, it feels the same as my 9 as it is notchy when cold and smooth when warm. Because of the drive by wire, I could get off the line easier than before....The X does not have dedicated reverse gear therefore it is not as easy to backup compared to 8 and 9. You have step on the gas more to backup where 8 and 9 you could just feather the clutch to get it going. This is due to the X using the 1st gear and 3rd and a idler gear to reverse the rotation to backup...

Car comes with bigger brembos and 18" rims...thats definitely a plus again....

Overall the whole car just looks better as it looks more mature....

Hope that helps a little...
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I got rid of my modded 8 for my X. It is much slower of course but that won't be for too long. As far as problems, the clutch seems somewhat softer than the other years but if you take it easy on your car most of the time it should be fine for a while.

All in all the problems i have are the cheap paint(which i don't think any mitsubishi has had nice paint. I've have 3 of em), and well thats about it. My transmission is 'notchy' like others have experienced but ive heard that they break-in eventually with more miles. It handles better which is amazing and its alot smoother.

I'm very pleased with it and haven't had any problems. I would definetly think about some clear bra stuff. Especially on the back rocker panels and on the rear doors. Damn things get all scuffed up with rocks.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I agree its time to put her out to pasture.

I'm not going to move it to trash, though. I'll leave it here for archiving. Amidst a lot of junk, there is some solid tech in here.
Obviously, we're not done. There are threads that come up like this much too often. I am continuing to merge them, so thread reopened and stuck.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

It's back!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
injentech42, stay out of this thread with the fanboi comments. Its a waste of bandwidth.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for your help guys!!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely like my X better than I did my IX rs. It was a quick car and stock for stock a bit faster, but like others have said, the interior is MUCH nicer, it feels like a much more roomy car inside, the power is consistant throughout the rpm range ( much more so than the IX was ) it's just a better overall car IMO.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX