Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Meevo
So, the heaviest IX, wet, and a X that's been modded??
Also, the heaviest X considering it has the SSS package. Do you honestly think a few small bolt-ons make a significant dent in the curb weight of the X?

Last edited by MrBonus; Aug 11, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Also, the heaviest X considering it has the SSS package. Do you honestly think a few small bolt-ons make a significant dent in the curb weight of the X?
right.. the SSS package adds... bigger spoiler, HIDs, and a better stereo system.. So... 20, maybe 30 lbs?

Small bolt ons will have a little effect, but also mainly removing the full size spare..
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious where you draw the "trade-off" point or how it's quantified for the sake of this argument or if you're simply drawing a line in the sand for the sake of a silly argument.

I believe the racing cars remove it for weight and reliability purposes. I'm not sure what that has to do with a consumer-driven car.
I draw the line at floor it, and the car will take the corner for you (nearly).

And, what's wrong with comparing a car based on feel? That's what a LOT of enthusiasts drive their cars for. Remember the C&D article comparing the gtr, 911 turbo, and m3, and they gave it to the m3? In terms of outright speed, of course the gtr and turbo had it, but the m3 was the best driver's car by far.

And, it's not just racing cars - the RS versions of Evos don't have them either...

Last edited by Meevo; Aug 11, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this discussion going to devolve into an arbitrary and subjective discussion on preferred "feel?"
Isn't that what ultimately steers individual satisfaction? It is the concept of "feel" that drove David E. Davis to leave C&D as its perennial editor and to start Automibile magazine. Davis felt rather strongly that test data did virtually nothing to relay what a given car was like to drive. He also felt that test data brought about false positives, if you will, highlighting cars that were less than great, but could pull impressive numbers. As such, Automobile published subjective reviews that concentrated on "feel" for determining a given level of goodness. But, I digress...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always thought of racing cars as a good driver can make any car fast. A bad needs all kinds of "aids." Most things in life are like that.

But beyond that, being used to my IX, I wonder how much different the "feel" is with the X?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Isn't that what ultimately steers individual satisfaction? It is the concept of "feel" that drove David E. Davis to leave C&D as its perennial editor and to start Automibile magazine. Davis felt rather strongly that test data did virtually nothing to relay what a given car was like to drive. He also felt that test data brought about false positives, if you will, highlighting cars that were less than great, but could pull impressive numbers. As such, Automobile published subjective reviews that concentrated on "feel" for determining a given level of goodness. But, I digress...
That's my thought too.

When normal people drive cars, they don't care about numbers of ratings. They care about the feel. Do they enjoy this vehicle?

Clearly, due to the number of Buicks sold, this feeling is different for different people. But in the end it's all that matters. Unless you're purchasing a car to make money with in racing, does it really MATTER how fast you can auto-x? My X may well be slower than my 8 around the track right now, but I enjoy driving the X more. Voila.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

That's why I say driving a 1st gen Miata is one of the purist driving experiences one can have - .

It might not be fast, but feels quite refreshing compared to so many other cars on the market. But I think we are really digressing here...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

I draw the line at floor it, and the car will take the corner for you (nearly).

And, what's wrong with comparing a car based on feel? That's what a LOT of enthusiasts drive their cars for. Remember the C&D article comparing the gtr, 911 turbo, and m3, and they gave it to the m3? In terms of outright speed, of course the gtr and turbo had it, but the m3 was the best driver's car by far.

And, it's not just racing cars - the RS versions of Evos don't have them either...
I've spent a lot of time on the track in my X and I'm waiting for it to start taking turns for me upon throttle application. It hasn't happened quite yet.

Originally Posted by FJF
Sure, but it's subjective and I see a lot of non-X owners knocking the "feel" of the car that they may have spent only a matter of minutes driving on public roads. I also see a number of people who have lived with both 4G and 4B Evos in this thread who seem to have a great deal of appreciation for both. I find one of those groups questionable in their assessment and heavily biased.

Originally Posted by N1MR0D
I always thought of racing cars as a good driver can make any car fast. A bad needs all kinds of "aids." Most things in life are like that.

But beyond that, being used to my IX, I wonder how much different the "feel" is with the X?
I hear this argument a lot and I always wonder what level of driver it is coming from. I myself recognize I am an amateur and will always be an amateur. I certainly don't want a car to drive for me but I don't deny that the active differential and yaw control make me a faster and ultimately safer driver.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:01 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sure, but it's subjective...
Everything that says preference is subjective; its an individual-specific concept by definition.

...and I see a lot of non-X owners knocking the "feel" of the car that they may have spent only a matter of minutes driving on public roads. I also see a number of people who have lived with both 4G and 4B Evos in this thread who seem to have a great deal of appreciation for both. I find one of those groups questionable in their assessment and heavily biased.
The same thing can be said about every comparative subject under the sun discussed on a public forum. At the risk of stating the obvious, there's no criteria for entry based on experience and outlook, just as there's no overriding rule determining the acceptance of every piece of text uploaded to the forum. Personally, I discount at least 80% of what I read here.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Everything that says preference is subjective; its an individual-specific concept by definition.

The same thing can be said about every comparative subject under the sun discussed on a public forum. At the risk of stating the obvious, there's no criteria for entry based on experience and outlook, just as there's no overriding rule determining the acceptance of every piece of text uploaded to the forum. Personally, I discount at least 80% of what I read here.
I alone shall wave my wand and determine on a case-by-case basis what text is acceptable and what text is inadmissible in the court of popular forum opinion.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I've spent a lot of time on the track in my X and I'm waiting for it to start taking turns for me upon throttle application. It hasn't happened quite yet.
you have to turn the wheel too!

Turn the wheel, apply the throttle, and let the diffs carry you out, sometimes in a very controlled near oversteer.

The direction of the 4wd system for the Evo seems to be headed towards the development of a "perfect" traction control/programming geared towards performance. Getting close too, I think.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

you have to turn the wheel too!

Turn the wheel, apply the throttle, and let the diffs carry you out, sometimes in a very controlled near oversteer.

The direction of the 4wd system for the Evo seems to be headed towards the development of a "perfect" traction control/programming geared towards performance. Getting close too, I think.
It's incredibly technology and I will admit that at times I feel like it's so good that it hinders my development as a driver but I cannot deny the advantage it gives me on the track.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by worfworf
Someone explain to me what "raw" feelings you perceive when you drive a 8 or a 9?

How do you define "raw"? Is it the noise, the way the steering twitches, the immediacy of the throttle?
I drove a stock 8 before, and it felt a lot more numb than my s2000.

I am thinking a car like the s2000, elise, or even a first generation miata is raw - since these cars have nothing but 2 seats and an engine.

How can a 4 door sedan, be more "raw" than a 2 door "sports cars"?

How are you guys defining "raw"? Are you guys saying unrefined? Raw = unrefined, but I think you guys are defining raw as something else.
Define unrefined -)

An EK9 hatch with blue printed K20A, dog box, with nothing but chassis, shell, a set of forged aluminum rims with slicks, 4pot front 2pot rear monoblock calipers with 2piece slotted rotors, a carbon kevlar seat and lexan windows would be pretty raw, regardless of its FWD layout and econobox root. I wouldn't say it is unrefined either since it has all its needed for performance and all the parts are quite high in quality.

It is quite difficult to state exactly what is rawness and what is refinement but what I can think of is:

- Sacrifices comfort and/or safety by removing/replacing but results in performance gains = rawness

- Sacrifices durability, comfort, safety, performance and/or aesthetics but results in cost savings = unrefinement

Theoretically only the absolute result should matter, but a lot of cases in real life, it may vary between people interms of levels

For example, removing A/C, sound system and spare tire would net between 40lbs to 100lbs of weight reduction on most cars, and to a lot of people this would add to 'rawness', but to some people, this would result in 'lack of refinement'.

If given S2000 vs CT9A EVO as an example, I would definately say evo's engine head is unrefined compared to S2000's higher flowing one, and in this case, neither would be considered 'raw'. Shifter and transmission would be a hard call, because S2000 shifts very smooth, offers one more gear choicee (compared to the 5 speed) and is probably lighter, but then the evo one is much stronger (if you bring the S2000's torque output to 300-400lb/ft as well).

If you want very raw, yet very refined cars, then you would need to look into high end kit cars, ie Caterham Superlight R500 or something...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:42 PM

yea im cool with the ix i dont like the new body style at all reminds me of all the other new cars out there i got my evo my truck and my gto and im set for life with them
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:10 PM

Evo 8/9 is like a bad girl from the east side of town. She's got no manners, but huge cans and a hell of a body. More importantly, she can take it like the best of them.

Evo X is like that bad girl when to school and just cleaned up a bit. She's a bit nicer to you, won't hurt your feelings as much when you make a mistake, but she needs to be nasty, she can be sooooooooooo dirty.

I had a evo 8, recently bought a X

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX