Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
You may want to drive a better IX, one without rattles and exaggerated turbo lag that point to a very used, badly tuned car. FWIW, I'll be buying a BoxterS within the next year or two, but I wouldn't be if I didn't have a IX. YMMV.
Good points. However, the IX that I'm looking at is bone stock, never been tuned, low mileage. It's a really nice car, a nice example of an IX. I have seen the kind of cars that you speak of--really rough Evos--and I'm staying away from those.

When I said "rattly", "turbo lag", etc., I was comparing the IX to my X. It's just my opinion--the X just feels like it's screwed together better, nicer interior, and the 4B11 definitely has more low-end off-boost than the 4G63. I also see how people say the 4G63 "hits harder" once boost comes on--I definitely experienced that. I don't think that it's necessarily any faster, though. The 4B11 is just so much more smoother throughout the entire revband, and does not exhibit as much turbo lag.

Having said all of that, please don't feel like I'm "knocking" on the IX. It's that "raw" feeling that is attractive to me--truly having my cake and eating it too by owning both an IX and an X.

Now, if I can just convince my wife that yes, I need two Evos, and that they really are two different cars...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Stock to stock, having Mivec controlled cam gears on both sides, better overall Mivec mapping, and a smaller compressor, the X definitely comes on faster.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Heard something a little odd the other day - I bought a Cusco Type RS 1.5 way rear diff (from a vendor on this site) and they were saying that this same model also fits the X (obviously disabling s-ayc). I think it also might be the same (type at least) that Gates311 had on his car? Don't quote me, I didn't follow very thoroughly. He said this diff actually provided less understeer than the stock set up - looking forward to seeing what this thing can do! Can anyone verify that tho?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

I for one love my 03 Evo VIII that's pretty close to being fully modded (probably is depending on your definition of fully modded). My car has over 85k miles on it and has less rattles than my 08 Accord and my fiance's 07 Benz C230. The car made 450 awhp at 21 lbs a couple of years ago on the dyno, but I have since dialed the boost up to 28 lbs and changed a couple of things. For me there hasn't been to many cars that will compare to my Evo in it's current state due to all of the mods and tuning the car has (and I've test driven alot of cars here lately) but I absolutely loved the Evo X when I drove it. I took one home for a couple of days on a buyers purchase agreement or something in that nature a while ago and I liked the X because it's smooth and just a tad bit more refined than the VIII and IX but it still has tons of potential and performs great right out of the box. My VIII is as far from refined as a freaking go kart but that's what I love about it I guess, but I can see why certain people will like the X over the VIII and IX. I don't know, different strokes for different folks I all ways say. If I was in a situation where I could only have one car my VIII would be fine but since I have a family now the car is to rough around the edges for my family (hench the 08 Accord in addition to the Evo), but I can see how the X would do just fine if I didn't love my VIII so much and the trunk wasn't so freaking small
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

^ Bump on the tiny trunk. It's definitely a negative, in considering the X as a part-time family sedan and grocery duties. Well, it can get golf bags in thankfully. That it can't take a cooler also just means for a longer round of golf. At least it seems longer.... ;-)
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
^ Bump on the tiny trunk. It's definitely a negative, in considering the X as a part-time family sedan and grocery duties. Well, it can get golf bags in thankfully. That it can't take a cooler also just means for a longer round of golf. At least it seems longer.... ;-)
use the rear seats for trunk space too, if you cant fit stuff in the trunk anymore . I never really go for shopping with 5 person in a same car...
But maybe is just me ...
LOL
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Warning: LONG, BORING post.

I've spent some time recently considering getting back to an IX.

Its not a clear cut call. I really like the Evo X, but there are things about it that I am not too crazy about.

Before I had kids, I had an Evo VIII and I had it to nearly where I wanted it in mods. I sold it at good profit, and went on to an Evo IX.

My goal with an Evo X would be a car with a turbo upgrade that makes about 380whp (untouched Mustang or Dyno Dynamics) on pump gas and 440whp on E85 or race gas. In addition, I'd want nice rims, coilovers, etc. For an Evo IX, subtract 30whp from both those numbers since its around 300 pounds lighter, and will obviously meet my power:weight goals with less. My power requirements aren't high, but I like a car that can do everything: Commute, be safe for the kids and not be gutted of weight, autocross or do a trackday in a pinch (not that I have had the time or money to make that happen in a long time), and drag race if I want (mid/high 11s approx 118mph pump gas, low 11s race gas/E85).

To realize those power goals and be reliable, the Evo X has to go under the knife a lot more than Evo IX. In an Evo IX, you need a tune, injectors/pump, full exhaust, cams, a clutch, and a turbo upgrade. In an Evo X, you need all those things plus a built transmission & diff pin upgrade with a taller final drive (stocker can't attain high mph in 4th without crazy high RPM), and probably a built engine to boot if you want to guarantee it to last.

This makes the Evo X seem a little like a Subaru to me, though not nearly as bad or flawed from an engineering perspective. Oh, you can make an X fast, but get ready to open your wallet to do it.

But the other side of having to sell my car, give up my 0% interest, and only for a car that is worth 4k less with 10 times the miles and 2 years older? Maybe I just hang tight and upgrade little by little as I can afford to. The Buschur upgrades sure are exciting.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

i think its better if some one else explain it this argument about the Evo vs Evo...
For several reasons. one this guys has credibility in the CT9A guys too, also he speaks much better English LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_5y5aFUU-c
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i think its better if some one else explain it this argument about the Evo vs Evo...
For several reasons. one this guys has credibility in the CT9A guys too, also he speaks much better English LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_5y5aFUU-c
lol what do you think they're gonna say?

"well, it's not as good as the old one but..."

also they're a business. there aren't gonna be MORE ct9a's being produced, only more cz4a's.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
lol what do you think they're gonna say?

"well, it's not as good as the old one but..."

also they're a business. there aren't gonna be MORE ct9a's being produced, only more cz4a's.

So now you call him a liar?
/just joking /
they probably make more money today from a 4G63T and the CT9A chassis.
Also they do run several CT9A evos and 4G63T cars...

I knew you guys will come up with this one

But hey at least you tried
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

So now you call him a liar?
/just joking /
they probably make more money today from a 4G63T and the CT9A chassis.
Also they do run several CT9A evos and 4G63T cars...

I knew you guys will come up with this one

But hey at least you tried
Obviously they've made more money from the old car that's been out since 2003...

No new information in the vid, but I hope it made you feel better about your purchase
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Obviously they've made more money from the old car that's been out since 2003...

No new information in the vid, but I hope it made you feel better about your purchase
oooohhh come on, you will get one too we both know it... LOL

I felt good about my purchase as soon as i did hit the track with it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

oooohhh come on, you will get one too we both know it... LOL

I felt good about my purchase as soon as i did hit the track with it.
hahaha

honestly, the X chassis is sick - the motor has proved itself fantastic, and we know it can fit more rubber than the old chassis -
when you strip it and you're doing all kinds of things to the chassis and interior to lose weight the car is gonna be amazing - arguably better than the old chassis -

but i can't do those thing with my car - my car's a street car. i won't be stripping the car or anything like that - the most i can do is bracings, bushings, lighter parts, diff upgrades, etc. i still have full interior, a/c, crash beams, airbags and on and on. i've even added a double din touch screen navi. for power, i have absolute faith in my motor and turbo etc. i'll be getting a BBK soon enough and that will probably be that for power.

and keeping that in mind, i still think the ct9a is the better performing street car, though the difference is most likely negligible.
For anyone ready to track and completely gut the car and etc etc and go crazy with it... the X is probably the better way to go

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:57 PM

I'll keep my EVO8

I guess the EVO X looks OK. But I like the agressive looks of the 7,8,9 cars much better! X looks too much like a regular lancer. Yuck!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by H-TUNER
I guess the EVO X looks OK. But I like the agressive looks of the 7,8,9 cars much better! X looks too much like a regular lancer. Yuck!
Right, and the previous evo's don't look like a regular lancers?

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX