Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if it was an even trade...yes...then i would sell it and buy an evo 9. and have some cash to install my turbo kit.
but no...i love 4G63 too much. from my 90 TSi to my evo, i dont think i will ever sell my evo...EVER. it will be my midlife crisis car to take to the track and beat on... when that time comes...lol
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Heck no ever will I trade in my IX for that spaceship blimp looking thing.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:54 PM

Evo IX is the last Evo... the 'x' is just a lancer..
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pulley1fan
Evo IX is the last Evo... the 'x' is just a lancer..
Answer honestly: If the X turns out to meet or exceed the performance of the IX, would you still say the same thing?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

The X is cool looking, but I think the 8-9 looks more in line with the traditional EVO.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I don't really like the way the X looks. The IX looks 10x better IMO
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chino ali
Sport Compact Car.
They were told by the after one year after the DT-C makes it's debut. They plan on still bringing out the manual transmission for the EVO X.

It was in the brochure when you got the GTS.
Did anyone else see that? The brochure was all the Consumer Reviews into one magazine for the new 08 Lancers. And then in the back of the magazine, there was 2 major articles talking about the EVO. The first article, which was extensive was from Sport Compact Driver(Car)

I was surprised it was never brought up. When I get to the pad, I will post word for word what was stated.

Oh yeah. I know it contradicts what said about trying to filter out manual transmissions, but that was the reason why they are still bringing out the manuals for certain demographics.. I am at work now. But when I get home, I will double check it for all those who are still curious of the EVO's manual transmission's ETA.

yes first the Paddle EVO X will come out, this of course will attract buyers that were never interested in the EVO, next after about one year the regular stick version will come out, this will appease to the die hard fans.

so bottom line Mitsubishi is trying to attract a new crowd of consumers, this is good and bad because you will now see everyone and their grandma drive an EVO, it just defeats the purpose
Old Jun 11, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
yes first the Paddle EVO X will come out, this of course will attract buyers that were never interested in the EVO, next after about one year the regular stick version will come out, this will appease to the die hard fans.

so bottom line Mitsubishi is trying to attract a new crowd of consumers, this is good and bad because you will now see everyone and their grandma drive an EVO, it just defeats the purpose
I'm still pretty sure the X will debut with both available, then probabaly move to JUST the DSG later. Probably with the XI. Releasing with JUST a brand new transmission doesn't sound right. Mitsu is rebounding from their financial troubles. A recall that covers EVERY one of their flagship cars would be very costly.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Draco-REX
I'm still pretty sure the X will debut with both available, then probabaly move to JUST the DSG later. Probably with the XI. Releasing with JUST a brand new transmission doesn't sound right. Mitsu is rebounding from their financial troubles. A recall that covers EVERY one of their flagship cars would be very costly.

isn't it better for Mitsubishi to start off with the paddle EVO first, this will then open up the market to buyers that would of never thought of buying an EVO because they could not drive stick, yes there will be EVO 8 and 9 sellers that will go in the X probably immediately, and for the hard cores they will just wait for the regular stick version.
The whole reason behind my thinking is the new e60 M5, they used this principle that really worked for them, they sold M5's to buyers that previously would not think of a car like that because of the clutch.

me if I could I would still keep my 8 and finance the X.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
isn't it better for Mitsubishi to start off with the paddle EVO first, this will then open up the market to buyers that would of never thought of buying an EVO because they could not drive stick, yes there will be EVO 8 and 9 sellers that will go in the X probably immediately, and for the hard cores they will just wait for the regular stick version.
The whole reason behind my thinking is the new e60 M5, they used this principle that really worked for them, they sold M5's to buyers that previously would not think of a car like that because of the clutch.

me if I could I would still keep my 8 and finance the X.
I think you misunderstood, I believe Mitsu will offer *both*. Increasing the choices available increases the market they can sell to. Offering JUST the DSG will mean some people will not buy the Evo who would prefer a manual. Offering just the Manual will mean they won't get the buyers who can't drive stick.

I can't see any benefit to just offering the DSG. But then again, I ahve been dumbfounded before.. *cough* '08 WRX *cough*
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

The aluminum block has got me scared. My honda was like that and it cost 1200for the sleeves not counting the machine work to get the block to where it wouldn't flex under boost.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

bottom line is the new X should outperform the previous Lancer EVO's, just like all other's in the past, I CANT WAIT )))
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:28 AM

I am just going to have to wait and see. The look has definitely grown on me, but I am not sure about the engine yet. I have had turbo eclipses and the Evo and I love the motor. The new one makes me very nervous!!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mtevoracer
The aluminum block has got me scared. My honda was like that and it cost 1200for the sleeves not counting the machine work to get the block to where it wouldn't flex under boost.
I don't think that engine was designed for a boost application. The engine in the Evo has been. Regardless of its current application, to design the 4B11 without boost in mind is foolhardy. Ignoring the Evo, the future is going to be about forced induction. Increased efficiency standards mean smaller engines that burn hotter and cleaner. Turbos are going to be showing up in more and more cars. I wouldn't be surprised if they start showing up in non-performance applications.

Though we can't be sure of anything, we can draw upon what we know of the past. Mitsubishi nearly DIED. It isn't going to risk financial death again. And designing an engine, slated to go in most of your cars, without any headroom is a surefire way to commit suicide as a car company.

Will the 4B11 make 1000hp on the stock block? Probably not. But will it make morethan enough for 99% of Evo owners? I'll bet on it. In fact, I'll bet that the 4B11 grenades at 700hp.

Let's just wait and see. I've been taking in every little tidbit of info I can find that's related to the X. I have some pretty good idea what we might see.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just look what happened when they put MIVEC on just one cam in the IX...now take that, add MIVEC to the other cam, then throw direct injection in the mix...yeah you probably can't make insane power on the stock bottom end, but I'm betting it will be even easier to get 400 whp out of it than the IX's and it should hold up to that pretty well. 400 whp is more than enough for me...any more than that I think is just for drag racing...

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX