Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB3RD
im happy with my x ,but after drive a 9 i have to say it was a little more fun,but that should change soon after a couple bolt ons
insert comment here from x guys about how you need to drive both cars in the corners

i got you guys covered
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by milford
its amazing we issue driver licenses to people who never learned basic grammar
well , i know may people with perfect grammar, and life threatening driving skills with driver license.
The problem really is a way people learn to drive in the US or i could say dont learn...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
The problem really is a way people learn to drive in the US or i could say dont learn...
I couldn't agree more. We, as a culture, expect very little from our drivers - just keep the car straight and get where you're going. Car control, what's that? Knowing how to properly operate a manual gearbox? We don't need to learn that skill.

Last night, I was watching videos on Youtube. Folks driving Evos and other extremely competent automobiles in a very spirited manner. How many of the drivers could even hold their steering wheels in an acceptable manner? None. The driving position was as follows - one hand on the wheel, either on top or the very bottom, the other hand resting on the shifter with the individual reclined like a Victorian prostitute, while doing three thousand miles per hour. Just great.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
SyZyGy1394 and mikane24, posts removed. Please don't resort to name calling, let's keep this thread free of that.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What mods to the X will make it feel like an VIII/IX in terms of that ***-kicking acceleration once the turbo starts to spool?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggy
What mods to the X will make it feel like an VIII/IX in terms of that ***-kicking acceleration once the turbo starts to spool?
Disabling the Mivec exhaust cam gear might.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggy
Right off the line, it might help if we could disable the traction control.
Anyone figured out how to do that?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Turn it off, then hold the button down for 5 seconds.

*** kicking, you need a different turbo. What you're feeling on the VIII / IX is turbo lag. We have a titanium spindle in our stock turbos, so they spool much more smoothly. Sounds like you want some lag and a bit more punch. Get an FP Red or a big frame turbo if you're going for that.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEvo210
Right off the line, it might help if we could disable the traction control.
Anyone figured out how to do that?
pushing the button once will let you drift just fine. I've not really noticed it ever slowing me down. Totally turning off the ASC also dumbs the AYC, and I've had the rear come loose and spin around me btwn 3rd and 4th gear shifts and getting on it at 70mph. I don't recommend that. It does let you get crazy, but I don't know if it makes the car ANY faster. The single "ASC off" button will keep the AYC noticing that problem and apply more F distribution to keep you going where you are pointed. FWIW
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Totally turning off the ASC also dumbs the AYC, and I've had the rear come loose and spin around me btwn 3rd and 4th gear shifts and getting on it at 70mph.
Really? Going straight?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
pushing the button once will let you drift just fine. I've not really noticed it ever slowing me down. Totally turning off the ASC also dumbs the AYC, and I've had the rear come loose and spin around me btwn 3rd and 4th gear shifts and getting on it at 70mph.
Really? Going straight?
No, leaving a turn. I was past apex and unwinding the wheel and "throttle steering". A bit too much "throttle" from my foot "steered" my ***-end around.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

No, leaving a turn. I was past apex and unwinding the wheel and "throttle steering". A bit too much "throttle" from my foot "steered" my ***-end around.
Ahh...gotchya.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the AYC is work a same way you can't dumb it down , wont matter what you do with the S-AWC. even when you turn it off completely.

The AYC is only an electronically controlled LSD. So when you turn the S-AWC off , then you actually turn off the break and power assist on the S-AWC system, so nothing slows your wheel down. The Ayc only smartly distributes the power on the rear wheels, that is all.
You basically just over worked the car. The AYC is not will prevent accidents, that is not her job.
That is the S_AWC which cuts power on wheels or adds on it. When you turn that off you basically get something very very close to the IX AWD system./in eu or japan/

Rob.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 07:13 PM

I like both models although to make the change from the 4g63 I don't think was a good move.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
slightly ot but couldnt someone just import an evo ix from germany if they wanted ayc?

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX