Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Pretty much the only way to import a car now days, is to Canada, and then importing it to the US and making it a pure track car. It's very expensive too.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing cars has gotten too expensive, even if it is a track only car.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
So the X rally triumph is continues:
http://www.jrm-group.com/index.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One-two in Yorkshire secures the British Teams’ title for JRM

Gwyndaf Evans claims third victory of the season
Alastair Fisher second in new JRM ‘National’ specification Mitsubishi, wins Evo Challenge and Pirelli Star Driver Award.

International Rally Yorkshire – 24th & 25th September 2010- Report

It was a perfect end to the season for JRM, with Gwyndaf Evans and co-driver Claire Mole winning the sixth and final round of the Dulux Trade MSA British Rally Championship, the International Rally Yorkshire. Team-mates Alastair Fisher and Rory Kennedy finished second in the first event for the team’s new ‘National’ specification Mitsubishi, this impressive one-two result enabling JRM to secure the British Teams’ title.

Fisher and Kennedy’s performance also saw them win the final round of the Mitsubishi Ralliart Evolution Challenge and for the young driver from Northern Ireland to win the coveted Pirelli Star Driver Award. This is presented to up-and-coming drivers who go on to an end of season shoot-out for the chance to drive a Pirelli supported car in 2011.

A stormy Friday evening with waves crashing over the wall of the sea-front service area welcomed teams to the rally-start in Scarborough, where 100s of spectators braved the wind and spray to see the cars head off to the one, 16-mile Langdale Forest stage before the overnight halt. Evans/Mole posted an excellent time just 1.5 seconds behind Craig Breen who was fastest in his S2000 Fiesta, with reigning British Champion Keith Cronin in his Subaru a further 14-seconds down in third.

Having been brought in for the final round of the BRC to showcase JRM’s new ‘National’ (less modified) specification Group N Lancer Evolution, Fisher/Kennedy spent the first part of the stage building confidence with their new car. Besides one overshoot, they quickly acclimatised to the slippery conditions and ended the day in fifth place.

With blustery and intermittently wet conditions making Saturday’s seven stages on the North Yorkshire Moors making grip levels even more unpredictable, it was not surprising there were to be a few close-calls and incidents. However, this didn’t stop Evans/Mole consolidating their second place and, although they clipped a straw bale marking one of the event’s many chicanes, Fisher/Kennedy had moved up to fourth by the end of SS2 and were now closing the gap on Cronin.

With Breen rolling his Fiesta on the next stage, Evans/Mole went into the lead, whereas Fisher was now at one with his car and recorded the fastest time through the 10-miles of SS3 in Dalby Forest. Another good run by both JRM crews through SS4 meant that they exited the stage in first and second places, Cronin mindful of having to score a top-six finish in order to claim his second BRC Drivers’ title.

At the main service halt on a still windswept Scarborough sea front, both Evans and Fisher reported that their cars were running perfectly and therefore, only routine tasks had to be carried out by the JRM mechanics. The crews then embarked on the afternoon’s loop of four stages and, with all of them a second run through the previous four, they knew that the conditions were likely to be even more treacherous.

As it transpired, Evans/Mole were fastest on SS5, SS7 and SS8, whilst Fisher/Kennedy recorded their second stage win of the day on SS6. This impressive series of results provided a satisfying conclusion the season for the JRM team - especially taking into account the difficult nature of the gravel forest roads in the Yorkshire forests.

As the cars and crews that had survived the day’s arduous conditions returned to Scarborough for the finish, the timesheets revealed that Evans/Mole had won by 41.5 seconds ahead of Fisher/Kennedy, with Cronin/McNulty a further 27 seconds behind in third. This outcome resulted in JRM claiming a string of successes from the day:

The securing of the British Teams’ title, the third win of the season for Evans, the first ever BRC victory for Mole, second place and victory in the final round of the Evolution Challenge for Fisher/Kennedy and the nomination of the Pirelli Start Driver Award for Fisher – a richly deserved accolade after a mature and well-delivered drive. The team was also delighted that Evans’ car performed faultlessly and that its new ‘National’ specification car proved to be competitive against more the modified ‘International’ specification Group N Machinery.

Team Quotes

Gwyndaf Evans

“I am delighted to take my third victory of the season and to win this event for the first time. The weather made things very difficult, which makes this result even more satisfying. It’s just a shame about the off in Ulster, as if it hadn’t been for that, I would have been battling for the driver’s title today. I really have to thank JRM for bringing me in to contest a whole season and also for building me a car that I am unable to break! It’s been a fantastic effort by everyone in the team and I am therefore delighted to that we have been able to secure the team’s award. It’s certainly well deserved.”

Alastair Fisher

“This has been an excellent event and I am extremely pleased. In fact it couldn’t have gone better and I must thank JRM for giving me this opportunity. The car has been fantastic and I’ve enjoyed the whole experience with the team. A day like today really helps build confidence in someone like me having not been too long in the sport and I aim to build on what I’ve learnt for next season.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this year the X won the US rally championship and does good in UK and so on so forth. We know how they perform on circuit races....

I can say i was right, just about right with the X. Feels good. I wonder how those feel whjo called all kind of way and so on so forth... LOL.

Rob

some pics form different teams :

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/01Aug/xgames/three7.jpg[/img]

And so on and on and on ...

so imagine, how many blind teams, choose the dead end , dispite all the warnings against forum guru's wisdom...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:02 PM

Red face Super clean evo9 or evo x GSR used?

Hello everyone,

I have been looking to buy my first evo, they have been really rare in the country, the '11 models should come out soon enough..

I have two options:

1- Super SUPER clean silver evo 9 with 25k miles on it and NO MODS EVER.

2- Wait for a used evo x GSR in good condition.

I would probably have to pay the same cash in both cases, so i am pretty unsure.

Opinions?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

newer im my opinion is ALWAYS the right route to go. I like having the peace of mind that warranty is still available.

If money is no object, wait for the 11 models, how many km on this used gsr? any mods?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

evox just because its newer
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

There is no such thing as warranty once you start modding it. In my opinion I would get the 9 because the X looks soooo
Originally Posted by Widoww
newer im my opinion is ALWAYS the right route to go. I like having the peace of mind that warranty is still available.

If money is no object, wait for the 11 models, how many km on this used gsr? any mods?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

What will you be doing with it? Full out track attack I say the 9, just normal driving the 9 or 10, if you have kids hands down the 10. Majority of the extra weight of the 10 comes from safety features. To date, the X has rolled over, ditched, truck impacted, and plowed through a garage with all drivers walking away!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive both and then make your decision. The X feels more refined and the IX, more raw. Personally, I'd pick a IX and yes, I've driven both but either way, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your purchase.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Like they're saying depends on the day to day usage. If your single and plan on modding and tracking it and don't care about the "luxury" and safety features the X has to offer over the IX then go with the IX. The IX is a bit more of a "raw' car compared to the X.

I personally am 25, have a beautiful girlfriend who has a kid of her own and were talking about starting a family after I get about a year into my naval career, so I'm looking at a X or a 09-11 WRX for the safety features and extra luxuries both have to offer over the IX. I loved my VIII for how raw it is, but at least with either the X or the new WRX I can still mod it and track it occasionally while being able to get my family around in more comfort than the IX. Not saying it can't be done with a VIII or IX though .

So again its your choice and what your going to be using it for. Good luck with the purchase!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:33 PM

i like your thinking above ^ really depends on what you're gonna be using the car for. personally, i couldn't stand being in a 9 for daily driving and driving a family around in so it's a no brainer for me especially looking at the interior of the 9 compared to 10. throw in the new features like fast key, bluetooth, and possibly fuse for 2011s and i have my answer to what car i'm gonna be getting next. that's just my story though. whatever decision you make, can't go wrong with either especially if it's a clean 9 that hasn't been abused
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

i would take the 9 with no mods just bcuz the x is a boat!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Everyone really outlined the pros and cons of each above pretty well. It really comes down to just personal preference on what YOU like better.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
If it is a Japanese spec, get the IX, because it has SAYC, and the ones in the USA don't. A JDM IX removes the only two huge things that make the X a stronger choice here (more supportive seats and SAYC). Good luck.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:20 PM

Man, I am sorry to have to bring out the crap spewing from the Evo IX owners, but it seems you guys are still stuck in the past. All the while X owners answered with more more rationale. If you are going to voice your opinion, don't base it off you own personal preference just because you happen to own one. I personally advise to drive them both and then make your choice. Both are great cars.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX