Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the X but I would never spend the money to trade the VIII or IX for one in my opinion not enough gain in comfort to make up for the weight and i like the look of the IX better
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEvo210
Yeah, Mitsubishi gave us an "OFF" button and I use it all I can, but the AYC still likes to say "Hi" in mid-course. That little "ding" from the warning chime is also annoying when I'm trying to race.

My Evo has it's virtues, and I'll keep it for the forseeable future, but if anything ever happened to it I'd look for a replacement with a lot less gadgets. The Evo VIII RS is near the top of the list.
try a cusco 1.5 way mechanical rear, for both the X and the VIII/IX - same part fits in both cars. completely consistent, lighter, simpler, etc. not just the computer deciding based on inputs that, at some particular moment, you need a fistful of torque on the outside rear wheel. drifting/oversteering = slow

ps someone mentioned that the edm ix was slower in some crap fifth gear test vs the vi.. i don't doubt that. but then they compared the usdm ix as being slower to the world market x - while this is true because of ayc, in terms of stock jdm/edm cars...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/e...uba-lap-times/

and anyone with the older usdm cars neutered without ayc just need to check out this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ound-here.html

i'm willing to bet both that a ix with this diff will be faster than a ix with ayc, and that a x with this diff will be faster than a x with ayc (the latter has already been proven). though for a rally, i imagine the ayc's calculations are invaluable

ps in terms of looks... both cars are ugly. evo x looks like a "newer" car because it is newer. also those saying they will never get a X may end up eating their words one day, for sure.

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 3, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Completely agree 100%. We all have Evos. We all have the racing heritage and technology. And if you don't believe the X has it, you're very ignorant to facts.

I've owned a VIII (with a lot of IX drivetrain), I own a X MR, and we are soon to be adding another VIII or IX to the family, because we love evos in general. My wife will have an VIII and I will have a X, but I get to use the VIII for HPDE!

I love my X for HPDE, it out handles my VIII did in every possible way. But I can't risk trashing a $35k car vs a $13k car. That is why we are adding an VIII back to the family.
i'm actually really interested to hear your opinions after you get another viii or ix. if you're gonna do hpdes in it i really would like to hear how you feel about the handling of the viii vs x if you get an upgraded rear differential. otherwise there's just nothing forcing the viii to turn/rotate on throttle, you know what i mean? no reason the viii wouldn't just plow on power. after you get your viii do check out the rear diff upgrade thread if you get a chance. that + acd reflash really kicks a.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:49 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I actually already looked at that thread .

That is something I'll consider. Only limiting factor may be funds. I'm not too fond of needing to have it shimmed with the Cusco, so I may cheap out and get the shep one? We'll see.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I actually already looked at that thread .

That is something I'll consider. Only limiting factor may be funds. I'm not too fond of needing to have it shimmed with the Cusco, so I may cheap out and get the shep one? We'll see.
looking forward to hearing how things go for you. tre and shep are probably 97% what the cusco is IMO.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

If it is that close, definitely not worth it to spend the extra money imo. What sucks is it is going to be at least march before I get to do another HPDE as the track is now closed after the 15th.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Mitsubishi gave us an "OFF" button and I use it all I can, but the AYC still likes to say "Hi" in mid-course. That little "ding" from the warning chime is also annoying when I'm trying to race.

My Evo has it's virtues, and I'll keep it for the forseeable future, but if anything ever happened to it I'd look for a replacement with a lot less gadgets. The Evo VIII RS is near the top of the list.
Not sure if you're really getting ASC off; AYC never does anything unpredicable mid course; the throttle steering perhaps is what we aren't talking about. If you're drifting with ASC semi off (single push) and you change your throttle steering approach mid turn, yes, it'll funk up. The name of the game with the X on the track is when going sideways, keep going sideways, throttle steering. Its VERY hard to get the X to feather the throttle and make fine adjustments, when going sideways a little or a lot, it's that much harder with everything going on. The turbo seems at first on or off, but with more practice, I have absolutely no issues on the track with tha AYC messing me up. ASC, yes. I turn grandma mode off. I leave it semi on because I've spun at 60 going into 4th under WOT. Not fun. Lesson learned, use S-AWC. It's there for a reason, but you have to have confidence to keep it under throttle and boosting.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

If it is that close, definitely not worth it to spend the extra money imo. What sucks is it is going to be at least march before I get to do another HPDE as the track is now closed after the 15th.
ahh.. i'd say it's more like 93-95% of the cusco then lol. the only benefit the cusco provides is that the locking/torque is more gradually initially instead of all at once like with the other diffs. the carbonetics also claims to do this just by how the materials they use interact with each other. but yea, actually i was going to get a tre but the only reason i didn't was because i needed the car and the cusco can be done in a day.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Not sure if you're really getting ASC off;
Yes, I know how to hold the button until the screen flashes yellow.
Everyone knows it doesn't really turn off, it just waits later to intervene.

I've also had a few other people riding with me when the car suddenly twitched in midcorner, and most of them agree with me that it feels like the diff locking in a RWD car.

I'm not the only person to dislike AYC and think I'd rather not have it.
The Cusco diff sounds like it might be a good idea.
Does anyone make a torque-biasing (helical gear) diff for it?

Maybe the electronics just aren't calibrated for autocross. That's 99% of my motorsports, so all the more reason I wish could turn off or unplug all the so-called driver aids.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Oct 4, 2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Maybe the electronics just aren't calibrated for autocross. That's 99% of my motorsports, so all the more reason I wish could turn off or unplug all the so-called driver aids.
It's either this or something is wrong with your car. I haven't once experienced twitching mid corner. If anything I'd say it's smoother than my VIII was.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Yes, I know how to hold the button until the screen flashes yellow.
Everyone knows it doesn't really turn off, it just waits later to intervene.

I've also had a few other people riding with me when the car suddenly twitched in midcorner, and most of them agree with me that it feels like the diff locking in a RWD car.

I'm not the only person to dislike AYC and think I'd rather not have it.
The Cusco diff sounds like it might be a good idea.
Does anyone make a torque-biasing (helical gear) diff for it?

"Everyone knows it doesn't really turn off, it just waits later to intervene."
perhaps you talking about the AYC i assume, because everything else is turning off after 5 sec hold in the S-AWC system.

I think you confused about the AYC. The AYC is an LSD but with a more precise electronic control. Only draw back with the AYC is the limited power hold, since it is designed around the factory WTQ limit. Just as the basic mechanical LSD's with different TQ limits.
SO as soon as you rely only on the AYC , it is works as any LSD with the same locking rate and power limits, but more precise.

"I've also had a few other people riding with me when the car suddenly twitched in midcorner, and most of them agree with me that it feels like the diff locking in a RWD car."
What you are describing in the mid turn swap is comes to the effect of the inside wheel lighting up, and the AYC locks them together . That is why you feel the swap. That is what also you will experience with ANY LSD . Just if you get something more aggressive , you might end up even more over steer or might even span.

I dont think you should look that twitch as a AYC mistake , the roots of the problem is somewhere else. That twitch can be your friend or your enemy, depending on you style or skill maybe both.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 4, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

I still don't get what you guys mean by twitch. It seems I can predictably get my rear end to come out if I corner too hard. I let off the gas slightly, and it recovers the spin. Where / when is this twitch you're talking about?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I still don't get what you guys mean by twitch. It seems I can predictably get my rear end to come out if I corner too hard. I let off the gas slightly, and it recovers the spin. Where / when is this twitch you're talking about?
sudden out swing i guess , as the rear diff . locks.
I dont want to say this, but usually the unexperienced driver , either with the car or general, experience that sudden movement. Or if you mess it up .
If you set up the car right and go thru the corner with a nicely set up car for that turn, that will not occur. It will be a nice smooth turn or slide.
Anything is sudden or harsh in MIDDLE of the turn or close to it, that is a wrong set up for that turn . Can be too much power added at the wrong time, or coming in too hot and disturb the car attitude etc. Many things can be wrong in that turn. Hardly the car problem. What ever is your car draw back , you should know and work around that to make a turn smooth and fast.
As soon as the car makes something sudden or very noticeable in the turn , the driver did something to cause that.

No offense , just a fact.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
"Everyone knows it doesn't really turn off, it just waits later to intervene."
perhaps you talking about the AYC i assume, because everything else is turning off after 5 sec hold in the S-AWC system.
Then why does it still bog on launch like traction control is intervening?

And, why does it go "ding" and light up the screen yellow in some corner on most runs?

Seriously. If I understand what's going on, and I can predict what it's going to do, maybe it will annoy me less. But, it seems like I get "ding" on some runs and not others, and it's distracting when it happens.
I doubt I'll mod it past STU, so I can't really mess with the black boxes anyway.

I'm used to RWD cars with no "driver aids", so this $#!+ feels wierd to me.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I think you confused about the AYC. The AYC is an LSD but with a more precise electronic control.
To me, this is less like help and more like propaganda.

Once a fellow engineer explained "weight transfer" to me, the S14s transitions from understeer to oversteer and back were no longer mysterious to me, and I could drive it better.

I keep hoping for a better explanation of the "driver aids" that helps me plan for their effects, or easy ways to disable them.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Oct 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

And, why does it go "ding" and light up the screen yellow in some corner on every run?
This is something I haven't experienced. I can't comment on this.

Edit: Are you talking about like when the car senses you're on ice?

Last edited by migs647; Oct 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX