Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEvo210
Then why does it still bog on launch like traction control is intervening?

And, why does it go "ding" and light up the screen yellow in some corner on most runs?

Seriously. If I understand what's going on, and I can predict what it's going to do, maybe it will annoy me less. But, it seems like I get "ding" on some runs and not others, and it's distracting when it happens.
I doubt I'll mod it past STU, so I can't really mess with the black boxes anyway.

I'm used to RWD cars with no "driver aids", so this $#!+ feels wierd to me.

To me, this is less like help and more like propaganda.

Once a fellow engineer explained "weight transfer" to me, the S14s transitions from understeer to oversteer and back were no longer mysterious to me, and I could drive it better.

I keep hoping for a better explanation of the "driver aids" that helps me plan for their effects, or easy ways to disable them.

"hen why does it still bog on launch like traction control is intervening?"
i dont feel that bog, if i launch right. Also the LSD - AYC is a traction control.

I suggest to run your car in the skid pad. WET! and you will learn lightning fast that weird feeling and how to use it as your advantage.
Many many people mostly on forums say the EVo is easy to drive. Well its not, when you go to the limits. Many many car is much much more predictable at the limits.
For light racing and DD yes the EVO is easy to drive faster then most car, but when you start touching the limits...

There was countless threads about AYC . Look them up and make your own conclusion.
But im telling you i drove cars with and without AYC , same model. The AYC is a help over the LSD if you are not pushing crazy numbers. IF you do , be ready for change it.
AYC is not invincible. Many guys upgrades the car every where and they bashing the AYC being sh88tty because it fails... It is just like your transmission syncros or clutch etc. Not over designed from the factory power.

So anyway, you can change it for cusco or even the IX rear , but you will feel the same thing.
Try to set up the car before turn , not into the turn. The EVo attitude is closer to the FWD then a RWD car. So dont try to drive it as RWD car.

ROb
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
This is something I haven't experienced. I can't comment on this.

Edit: Are you talking about like when the car senses you're on ice?
It IS giving me the image with the squiggly tire marks, even driving in a straight line, sometimes on moderate launches.

I have a bad feeling you might be onto something...

If the car thinks I'm on ice on an Alabama airfield in the middle of summer, then maybe there is something wrong with it.

I know it's standard procedure to blame the driver, especially if you don't know him and think he's a "noob", but I've been autocrossing since 1997. I know the value of seat time and understanding your car, and the so-called driver aids are still strange to me after a season worth of races with my Evo.

Do I need to look for a "Diagnosis of wierd behavior" thread?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

It IS giving me the image with the squiggly tire marks, even driving in a straight line, sometimes on moderate launches.

If the car thinks I'm on ice on an Alabama airfield in the middle of summer, then maybe there is something wrong with it.

I know it's standard procedure to blame the driver, especially if you don't know him and think he's a "noob", but I've been autocrossing since 1997. I know the value of seat time and understanding your car, and the so-called driver aids are still strange to me after a season worth of races with my Evo.

there is something with that yellow screen which is boost related if i recall it right. I remember something early stage when every one is tightened they actuator and they got the slippery yellow screen. I just thinking about it since you brought that up.
Do you get that screen under acceleration?
Also so are you still on stock suspension?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
there is something with that yellow screen which is boost related if i recall it right. I remember something early stage when every one is tightened they actuator and they got the slippery yellow screen. I just thinking about it since you brought that up.
Do you get that screen under acceleration?
Also so are you still on stock suspension?
I recall this as well Rob. I think he may not be tuned correctly if he's seeing that sign, especially in a straight line (without any ice).
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So anyway, you can change it for cusco or even the IX rear , but you will feel the same thing.
Try to set up the car before turn , not into the turn. The EVo attitude is closer to the FWD then a RWD car. So dont try to drive it as RWD car.

ROb
^----- This. The X ratio is more biased as a FWD car. This is good, because you can use acceleration to pull the car out of the corners. This is very useful for exit speeds and recovery. What's generally easier to do? Push or Pull?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I recall this as well Rob. I think he may not be tuned correctly if he's seeing that sign, especially in a straight line (without any ice).
oh oke, i think its something with a tq limiter . Im not a tuner , i dont even wanna know about it , but i think that will be a problem. Tune or some hook ups without a tune or a proper install.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sudden out swing i guess , as the rear diff . locks.
I dont want to say this, but usually the unexperienced driver , either with the car or general, experience that sudden movement. Or if you mess it up .
If you set up the car right and go thru the corner with a nicely set up car for that turn, that will not occur. It will be a nice smooth turn or slide.
Anything is sudden or harsh in MIDDLE of the turn or close to it, that is a wrong set up for that turn . Can be too much power added at the wrong time, or coming in too hot and disturb the car attitude etc. Many things can be wrong in that turn. Hardly the car problem. What ever is your car draw back , you should know and work around that to make a turn smooth and fast.
As soon as the car makes something sudden or very noticeable in the turn , the driver did something to cause that.

No offense , just a fact.

Rob

Agreed. On "style points", I found that the sudden rotation is easily fixed... Let S-AWC do it via the "semi-off" of the ASC. Using that mode, the FWD pulls you forward and avoids the over-rotating, but the dash warning never ever flashes yellow, no matter what the car is doing. I've never heard of it kicking in after even the single push.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your ASC is kicking in and showing the image with the squiggly tire marks temporarily as you launch or slide, even tho you've got the yellow ASC Off indicator after pushing the button, I think you might have a car issue.

The other squiggly line issue that appears is when the ASC is OFF-OFF as a warning. You've either pushed the button for 5 seconds and it's telling you you're on your own, or your getting the over-torque warning shutting it off, but its a continuous "idiot light" and not a temporary thing like losing traction.

And if you've added any power other than via a CBE, I'll be betting against warranty coverage on ASC over-torque issues Sorry!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had the 9 got the 10 and must say newer is better no more rattle's cruise control, bluetooth!! I'm liking it!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
I had the 9 got the 10 and must say newer is better no more rattle's cruise control, bluetooth!! I'm liking it!
you must be hurt by the power differences, i think it is a major jump from your ex car to the stock X... LOL
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
sudden out swing i guess , as the rear diff . locks.
I dont want to say this, but usually the unexperienced driver , either with the car or general, experience that sudden movement. Or if you mess it up .
If you set up the car right and go thru the corner with a nicely set up car for that turn, that will not occur. It will be a nice smooth turn or slide.
Anything is sudden or harsh in MIDDLE of the turn or close to it, that is a wrong set up for that turn . Can be too much power added at the wrong time, or coming in too hot and disturb the car attitude etc. Many things can be wrong in that turn. Hardly the car problem. What ever is your car draw back , you should know and work around that to make a turn smooth and fast.
As soon as the car makes something sudden or very noticeable in the turn , the driver did something to cause that.

No offense , just a fact.

Rob
i'm gonna have to agree with rob on this one unless there's something wrong with the car. as long as driver inputs are constant/cnsistent the diff shouldn't want to lock suddenly in the middle of a corner. AYC's been fine tuned for some time now so any sort of bug issue in the programming is out of the question too. but, as you do have some experience i'm not sure what your issue is from. on dry pavement and grippy tires ayc should feel relatively similar to a legitimate mechanical rear in it's function.

turn in, and smooth power out, unless you're doing some sort of driver input that makes the ayc interpret that you suddenly need more lock in the middle of the corner?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
If it is a Japanese spec, get the IX, because it has SAYC, and the ones in the USA don't. A JDM IX removes the only two huge things that make the X a stronger choice here (more supportive seats and SAYC). Good luck.
I'm pretty sure cars in Qatar are left hand drive. I lived in Bahrain and Oman for 3 years and they were all LHD too. Unless there were LHD JDM spec cars made for the evo, I don't think the IX in Qatar is going to have all those toys.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

ROb
Are you saying the X will turn the same if the IX rear diff is put in the X? Honestly I think it would understeer worse than the IX does without AYC. I don't think people really understand how bad the USDM IX rear diff is.. doesn't rotate the car on power at ALL.. the reason why usdm CT9As don't handle as well as the X comes down to that. the upgraded rear diffs really bring it back though
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Are you saying the X will turn the same if the IX rear diff is put in the X? Honestly I think it would understeer worse than the IX does without AYC. I don't think people really understand how bad the USDM IX rear diff is.. doesn't rotate the car on power at ALL.. the reason why usdm CT9As don't handle as well as the X comes down to that. the upgraded rear diffs really bring it back though

nooooo.... im not saying that. I'm just saying he can even put the IX in it if he wants it. The results will be a same a way he drives. The IX rear diff is mild. so that is why i said it. Ergo even with mild LSD he will do a same. It is not the AYC neither the LSD causing it.
That is why i said , if he will "upgrade his set up with a more aggressive cusco lsd or any other , he might even will span , instead the "twitching".
The AYC can, and does change the locking rate , and that is why is a great unit, and as many people refers it easy to drive. Mean while the mechanical ones can't duplicate that, but on the other hand can be just as predictable after a while.
Above the OEM AYC TQ and respond time limit /which is i would say on the high mild side/ the strong or very aggressive LSD 's will bite those people who doesnt have experience with the powerful AWD platform . Remember, as you go higher hp and get more racy the EVo is getting more and more wild . LOL
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

nooooo.... im not saying that. I'm just saying he can even put the IX in it if he wants it. The results will be a same a way he drives. The IX rear diff is mild. so that is why i said it. Ergo even with mild LSD he will do a same. It is not the AYC neither the LSD causing it.
That is why i said , if he will "upgrade his set up with a more aggressive cusco lsd or any other , he might even will span , instead the "twitching".
The AYC can, and does change the locking rate , and that is why is a great unit, and as many people refers it easy to drive. Mean while the mechanical ones can't duplicate that, but on the other hand can be just as predictable after a while.
Above the OEM AYC TQ and respond time limit /which is i would say on the high mild side/ the strong or very aggressive LSD 's will bite those people who doesnt have experience with the powerful AWD platform . Remember, as you go higher hp and get more racy the EVo is getting more and more wild . LOL
ahh gotcha gotcha. i think even mild is a stretch for the usdm rear diff honestly. but yea agreed. i definitely dont think it's the car so much as driver input, unless something is broken

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX