Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Rob, I would love to see more pics of your X in its current state. Looks awesome, man!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by noize
rob, i would love to see more pics of your x in its current state. Looks awesome, man!
+1!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Rob, I would love to see more pics of your X in its current state. Looks awesome, man!
Thank you guys! Makes me proud when you guys comment on it like this

My car currently is car the shop. I skipped some races to have enough budget to get the car on gravel with most suitable set up. Just got retuned one European tuner from the eu, and now feels like an evo again. /example instead the 9 Psi boost / base run before tune/ im running 29 psi /
I'm planning to make some write up about the AST suspension i have /incredible/ and other stuff.

Now i definitely will do .
Thanks Again ROb

here is couple of more :
Name:  moto_0222.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  4544560815_c3950ccc35_o.jpg
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  4544694803_f2e5a03baa_o.jpg
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  28868_1226315378014_1232910071_3101.jpg
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  26115_401591567280_288758837280_373.jpg
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  ast.jpg
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  29124_1365629024242_1337149487_3100.jpg
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  hIMG_0533.jpg
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  P5280055.jpg
Size:  96.1 KB

this is a go around the car short video , you can see a little bit inside out side and hear the car idle ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhmnA9Le2o
Thanks for look at them

Cheers ROb

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 8, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Thank you guys! Makes me proud when you guys comment on it like this

My car currently is car the shop. I skipped some races to have enough budget to get the car on gravel with most suitable set up. Just got retuned one European tuner from the eu, and now feels like an evo again. /example instead the 9 Psi boost / base run before tune/ im running 29 psi /
I'm planning to make some write up about the AST suspension i have /incredible/ and other stuff.

Now i definitely will do .
Thanks Again ROb

here is couple of more :

this is a go around the car short video , you can see a little bit inside out side and hear the car idle ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhmnA9Le2o
Thanks for look at them

Cheers ROb
AWESOME
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AutoX i have no clue, i did twice, since then, i dont even want to look at it.
So, you were trying to convince me my car's behavior was driver error, when you know even less about autocross than I do. That's good to know.

Whatever else is going on with my car, the fact remains that it would be easier to diagnose if there were less computers trying to drive the car for me.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by BluEvo210
So, you were trying to convince me my car's behavior was driver error, when you know even less about autocross than I do. That's good to know.

Whatever else is going on with my car, the fact remains that it would be easier to diagnose if there were less computers trying to drive the car for me.
Knowing about autocross specifically vs knowing the physics and mechanics of the car is what is important. Rob knows more about AWD cars handling than most people put together. His reputation definitely precedes him.

Your car has an issue, you need to get that issue resolved. That's all there is to it. Until that issue is resolved, you won't know the true ability of that car.

It's quite apparent the way you described what you were seeing, something is truly wrong. I definitely suggest you get that fixed before you do any more autox. Believe me, you don't want to have to replace an ACD because of neglect.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:24 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
...unsubscribing...again.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

i did twice in the states, since we call it EU a Slalom race. A reason i stop doing it here:
whole day standing , probably 2-3 minutes drive time. Basically you pay $50 and then you are standing in the parking lot to work for the organization who actually hold it.
First i thought i jumped into a wrong organization event - second happened a same thing. /NY-NJ/ That is not racing and and i do not pay to work for someone. Im not that rich.

FYI. i did many many slalom or SS slalom in my country . I started a VW GTI and i did long until we actually could get into a rally. Since my town i came from regularly has it , sometimes we did with our practice car for fun, later too /until i came out here/.
You pay more there for a Slalom race and still cheap, reachable everyone, but you are running it saturday practice day - sunday race... So you get the idea.

Your car has over TQ issues and you interpreted it as a drive train issue, after we try to help and explain what can be a problem since that is most likely. Besides you explained where its happenning. Now that is two different issue . WHy ? We explained that for you . Also when you got the same thing in straight line that is hardly the AYC and so issue . You still think its a drive train issue.

SO sorry i cant help for you anymore. Feels to me explaining the difference between the red and green to a blind person.

Cheers Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 9, 2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:37 AM
EvoM Administrator

i did twice in the states, since we call it EU a Slalom race. A reason i stop doing it here:
whole day standing , probably 2-3 minutes drive time. Basically you pay $50 and then you are standing in the parking lot to work for the organization who actually hold it.
First i thought i jumped into a wrong organization event - second happened a same thing. /NY-NJ/ That is not racing and and i do not pay to work for someone. Im not that rich.

FYI. i did many many slalom or SS slalom in my country . I started a VW GTI and i did long until we actually could get into a rally. Since my town i came from regularly has it , sometimes we did with our practice car for fun, later too /until i came out here/.
You pay more there for a Slalom race and still cheap, reachable everyone, but you are running it saturday practice day - sunday race... So you get the idea.

Your car has over TQ issues and you interpreted it as a drive train issue, after we try to help and explain what can be a problem since that is most likely. Besides you explained where its happenning. Now that is two different issue . WHy ? We explained that for you . Also when you got the same thing in straight line that is hardly the AYC and so issue . You still think its a drive train issue.

SO sorry i cant help for you anymore. Feels to me explaining the difference between the red and green to a blind person.

Cheers Rob
I agree that the seat time vs. cost and work time makes it not worth it at all. You are clearly enjoying your car to its potential. Thank you for the extra pics, car is just awesome!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

i actually just got home from an autox where i rode in a X and it felt great. the driver wasnt the greatest and i didnt want to ask him to codrive, so i left it at that. i will say a few things

- car was on stock suspension set up etc. despite the heavier weight, which i barely noticed (only by a slightly "muted" feeling of acceleration), the handling of the car felt great.

- the car doesn't feel like the front end will wash out as much as the older cars do. that's not to say that it doesnt understeer - we had a fairly quick course this time around and the car plowed through a few cones trying to turn - but it was really really weird because it didn't feel like the car was understeering, even when it was lol

- the rear end feels like it wants to give the car some rotation/slip upon braking - i was thinking maybe this is what that other evo x driver was referring to. This was the most stand out difference to me from the old cars. if you drive an r35 in gt5 prologue and the wheel is turned and you SLAM on the brakes, the rear end literally comes around - it felt like the X would do the same upon braking. i was going to start a thread asking what ayc does upon braking - while it's unsettling at first i can definitely see some "uses" for it

- finally, in terms of corner exit behavior on throttle... i actually think i get MORE rotation in my IX with the cusco. though the X did feel quite good.

- Overall, the X felt great. The car feels a lot more settled dynamically. A very different experience from the older cars, yet strangely similar

In regards to that guy talking about his X suddenly rotating mid corner.. the car is either giving you some slip angle in the corners and you are unused to it, or the ayc is doing something weird and may be malfunctioning (if it really is whipping the back end around, which i doubt). this is coming from a guy who is a fan of mechanical setups etc over electronic driver aids
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
EvoM Community Team

What mode were you guys in Kyooch?

In my MR, just updating the rear sway made a night and day difference. I can get the *** end out whenever I want now. But this is on road course.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
What mode were you guys in Kyooch?

In my MR, just updating the rear sway made a night and day difference. I can get the *** end out whenever I want now. But this is on road course.
this was with the ASC fully off (button pushed and held for 2 seconds or something) - not sure which mode that is called. this was also in a gsr - he did not have a rear sway bar, but neither do i.

honestly the car felt fantastic - especially for being on an auto-x which i wouldnt necessarily jump and say is the X's biggest strength, though we did set the course up to have more sweepers and high speed stuff rather than really really tight technical stuff.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 02:50 PM
EvoM Administrator

The only time I have spun my X was when it was new, I was testing the limits, finally found them by going in a bit too hot and lifted.

You have to trust the SAYC to do its thing. But the oversteer feeling is a little unnatural, if you lift while it is transferring at speed deep into a corner, you'll be hosed.

I never had a trouble with any Evo at exit, but the CT9As understeer more at entry. I'd agree they are faster at exit, lighter = faster at same power levels.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The only time I have spun my X was when it was new, I was testing the limits, finally found them by going in a bit too hot and lifted.

You have to trust the SAYC to do its thing. But the oversteer feeling is a little unnatural, if you lift while it is transferring at speed deep into a corner, you'll be hosed.

I never had a trouble with any Evo at exit, but the CT9As understeer more at entry. I'd agree they are faster at exit, lighter = faster at same power levels.
lol i have a similar story, and a total noob move im ashamed to say - entering an on ramp at a really, really high speed (too high to post), i felt the rear tires starting to slide (cold november, summer tires) - not only did i LIFT, but i BRAKED too, which is about the LAST thing you want to do in the situtation. of course I did a complete 180 into a ditch - passenger side view mirror blown off, and the right side fender ruined - that's how closely i missed the tree. the rest of the car was unscathed, and i luckily (praise God) was able to drive the car home completley unharmed.

i definitely see the older cars understeering on corner entry more. the X gives a very confident feeling about being able to enter any turn - even when it cant - but the limit there is definitely higher. my car definitely used to understeer on corner exit too though, depending on the exact situation and tire grip. the arc off the line would just go way wide. now that that's fixed, i'm going to need to start thinking about what i can do to increase corner entry ability.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by kyooch
lol i have a similar story, and a total noob move im ashamed to say - entering an on ramp at a really, really high speed (too high to post), i felt the rear tires starting to slide (cold november, summer tires) - not only did i LIFT, but i BRAKED too, which is about the LAST thing you want to do in the situtation. of course I did a complete 180 into a ditch - passenger side view mirror blown off, and the right side fender ruined - that's how closely i missed the tree. the rest of the car was unscathed, and i luckily (praise God) was able to drive the car home completley unharmed.

i definitely see the older cars understeering on corner entry more. the X gives a very confident feeling about being able to enter any turn - even when it cant - but the limit there is definitely higher. my car definitely used to understeer on corner exit too though, depending on the exact situation and tire grip. the arc off the line would just go way wide. now that that's fixed, i'm going to need to start thinking about what i can do to increase corner entry ability.
Kyooch. Is this gonna become the official bonehead confessions thread? I see your side view mirror and fender, and raise you a mailbox: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6825474-post3898.html

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX