Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Kyooch. Is this gonna become the official bonehead confessions thread? I see your side view mirror and fender, and raise you a mailbox: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6825474-post3898.html
HAHA imagining that is pretty hilarious i'll have to remember not to do the same
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
this was with the ASC fully off (button pushed and held for 2 seconds or something) - not sure which mode that is called. this was also in a gsr - he did not have a rear sway bar, but neither do i.

honestly the car felt fantastic - especially for being on an auto-x which i wouldnt necessarily jump and say is the X's biggest strength, though we did set the course up to have more sweepers and high speed stuff rather than really really tight technical stuff.
i think you are right. For Auto X i do not think the X is a best platform. And for your Cusco comment. You should feel the rotation stronger in your car since the whole set up is mechanical no thinking there.
The S-AYC will do that rotation much smoother there for less noticeable. And from there is personal reference.
Some one likes to feel the aggressive rotation, some one likes it smoother more composed /that is what the electronically commanded AYC does/
As soon as you going for stronger Mechanical LSD like yours or from your set up to a higher one or two, the feel can be dramatic for the first time. Unexpected and sudden vs your present cusco, but so cooool.

Now im start getting way out of the factory TQ range, so i need to upgrade the rear too.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i think you are right. For Auto X i do not think the X is a best platform. And for your Cusco comment. You should feel the rotation stronger in your car since the whole set up is mechanical no thinking there.
The S-AYC will do that rotation much smoother there for less noticeable. And from there is personal reference.
Some one likes to feel the aggressive rotation, some one likes it smoother more composed /that is what the electronically commanded AYC does/
As soon as you going for stronger Mechanical LSD like yours or from your set up to a higher one or two, the feel can be dramatic for the first time. Unexpected and sudden vs your present cusco, but so cooool.

Now im start getting way out of the factory TQ range, so i need to upgrade the rear too.
even though you say that, i have been, and was again, still quite impressed by the X behavior in terms of corner entry and understeer. but yea once you start getting up there in mods and classes things start to shift (for auto-x).

now that you mention the initial torque, one thing good about the cusco type rs that i have is that it uses springs to provide low initial torque first - the type mz provides the strong torque from the beginning. i honestly would suggest looking into the type RS for your car if you're getting past those power levels (gates also ran the same cusco - somehow the same part fits both cars). http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_prod...rs_typemz.html

The carbonetics rear diff also claims low initial torque just from how the composition of the materials they use interact.

you are definitely right though, i would and do prefer a low initial torque rather than lots of locking as soon as you are turning and opening up throttle.

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 9, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I agree that the seat time vs. cost and work time makes it not worth it at all. You are clearly enjoying your car to its potential. Thank you for the extra pics, car is just awesome!
Thanks Noize!!!
I think autoX is great if you get a good driving time. Just as anything else. Sadly they take advantage of you, and you standing on the corse when the club members continuously driving around without break time at all, wonder why you dont have a 4 time race as they promised or so.... Do i care ? Yes because i paid my entree fee and im not there for charity. Besides they do it with all that ignorance face , like: " see im a big shot here, and just wait for your turn..." Even then they cant wait in line like "everybody" they even cut you off, when finally 2 hours later they say you can run it now... It is ridiculous in here , after my experience period. No more clown parade on my money.

There is a hill climbs for $150/ 2 day events.../ or even track days, it is waaay more beneficial for everyone to learn a car. Not to mention the seat time differences....
Drag race you know what you expect , since as you getting better you drive less time on track. /im jocking, but you know the set up / LOL
Anyway i stop . LOL

I thkn we need go back to the thread.

So this year many places the X is a champion car road race or rally. Despite the experienced forecasts, and end of the evo era comments... LOL

Anyone?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

even though you say that, i have been, and was again, still quite impressed by the X behavior in terms of corner entry and understeer. but yea once you start getting up there in mods and classes things start to shift (for auto-x).

now that you mention the initial torque, one thing good about the cusco type rs that i have is that it uses springs to provide low initial torque first - the type mz provides the strong torque from the beginning. i honestly would suggest looking into the type RS for your car if you're getting past those power levels (gates also ran the same cusco - somehow the same part fits both cars). http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_prod...rs_typemz.html

The carbonetics rear diff also claims low initial torque just from how the composition of the materials they use interact.

you are definitely right though, i would and do prefer a low initial torque rather than lots of locking as soon as you are turning and opening up throttle.
you will not going to believe this... but the best for us, is an upgraded IX rear diff, which is coming from england if im right ....
Neither cusco or carbonetics can sustain the strength and abuse alll together of the rally car. Remember: jumps - one wheel at the time on ground - tarmac to gravel etc. it is not a drag racing abuse. And its going on hundreds of miles at the time. Even the strong drag rear LSD 's are shattering like a glass in rally.

Thanks though !
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

you will not going to believe this... but the best for us, is an upgraded IX rear diff, which is coming from england if im right ....
Neither cusco or carbonetics can sustain the strength and abuse alll together of the rally car. Remember: jumps - one wheel at the time on ground - tarmac to gravel etc. it is not a drag racing abuse. Even the strong drag rear LSD 's are shattering like a glass in rally.

Thanks though !
HAHA that is funny - I'm assuming the upgraded IX rear diff is an upgraded version of the mechanical right? Not an upgraded AYC?

I definitely see what you're you saying though - the main focus for cusco and carbonetics are track/auto-x/gymkhana but rallying is a completely different beast
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

HAHA that is funny - I'm assuming the upgraded IX rear diff is an upgraded version of the mechanical right? Not an upgraded AYC?

I definitely see what you're you saying though - the main focus for cusco and carbonetics are track/auto-x/gymkhana but rallying is a completely different beast
I know you are happy now LOL

You right it is based on the IX RS LSD, not the AYC.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

I know you are happy now LOL

You right it is based on the IX RS LSD, not the AYC.
it is ironic.

Definitely post in one of your motorsports threads how that goes - the JDM/EDM IX RS LSD is a good one on it's own right - totally different from USDM 8/9 LSD to start with, so I'm sure a modded one will be great also but -

Don't you think lack of AYC making calculations/adjustments for surface conditions and wheel spin etc will be a hindrance for the different conditions of rally?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

it is ironic.

Definitely post in one of your motorsports threads how that goes - the JDM/EDM IX RS LSD is a good one on it's own right - totally different from USDM 8/9 LSD to start with, so I'm sure a modded one will be great also but -

Don't you think lack of AYC making calculations/adjustments for surface conditions and wheel spin etc will be a hindrance for the different conditions of rally?
yes it will,and will be greatly missed. But the AYC is designed for close to the factory tq limit. You can do tricks with it but still.
Also, for any racers unless he is factory backed up team, the budget is a key. So the Cheapest way to do it, is going this way. With unlimited money would be different.

Remember KISS. So for us the CHEAPEST and easiest is the LSD , even for swapping at the race in 30 minutes.
I love the AYC and so on, but for us the LSD is the only way .
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

yes it will,and will be greatly missed. But the AYC is designed for close to the factory tq limit. You can do tricks with it but still.
Also, for any racers unless he is factory backed up team, the budget is a key. So the Cheapest way to do it, is going this way. With unlimited money would be different.

Remember KISS. So for us the CHEAPEST and easiest is the LSD , even for swapping at the race in 30 minutes.
haha gotcha - good luck!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think that if we're keeping it simple, then driver mod. seriously - adapt to the car. even amongst two different cars of the same chassis, minor setup differences can make them feel different.

i'm a military pilot and "exactly" same aircraft perform differently from one another. good pilots can tell the differences, then ***** about how the aircraft is supposed to do this or that. better pilots simply fly their aircraft and adapt to make the aircraft do what they want.

same philosophy about cars.

(btw, this isn't directed at robevo, just at how everyone seems to think the solution every time is hardware related)

lastly, i love the acd reflash for my IX and i love AYC in my wife's X.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
i think that if we're keeping it simple, then driver mod. seriously - adapt to the car. even amongst two different cars of the same chassis, minor setup differences can make them feel different.

i'm a military pilot and "exactly" same aircraft perform differently from one another. good pilots can tell the differences, then ***** about how the aircraft is supposed to do this or that. better pilots simply fly their aircraft and adapt to make the aircraft do what they want.

(btw, this isn't directed at robevo, just at how everyone seems to think the solution every time is hardware related)

His own situation is that the car is producing too much torque for what the AYC is designed for, which is necessitating a replacement.

PS, you should definitely try a rear diff upgrade for your IX as well - if you liked the ACD you will LOVE this one.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

i used to fly R22 and R44 , then i got my own little RAF2000GTX gyro
Too bad im not a citizen so they wouldn't take me in as a pilot. I asked already ...
Other place doesnt interest me in the army./sorry NAVY LOL /
PS: about the AYC Kyooch explained my situation already .

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 9, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His own situation is that the car is producing too much torque for what the AYC is designed for, which is necessitating a replacement.

PS, you should definitely try a rear diff upgrade for your IX as well - if you liked the ACD you will LOVE this one.
i don't doubt it. i suspect the IX will be perfect once i put in the TRE rear diff. but i can feel the potential in the X, even though it's stock. when is someone gonna come out with an ACD and AYC reflash?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

i don't doubt it. i suspect the IX will be perfect once i put in the TRE rear diff. but i can feel the potential in the X, even though it's stock. when is someone gonna come out with an ACD and AYC reflash?
gruppe-s is working on an acd reflash for the X i believe, though it has been long since I've last heard about it. There is also the option of the MoTeC unit, which is fully customizable, though very expensive. I have not heard of an AYC reflash ever, here or overseas. ACD reflashes in other markets actually disable the AYC function.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX