Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
gruppe-s is working on an acd reflash for the X i believe, though it has been long since I've last heard about it. There is also the option of the MoTeC unit, which is fully customizable, though very expensive. I have not heard of an AYC reflash ever, here or overseas. ACD reflashes in other markets actually disable the AYC function.
f both of those options, haha. i'm not paying for a motec and disabling the AYC sounds like a horrible idea without some mechanical rear diff solution which also is just too much money. as it is, i can achieve the yaw angles i want in the X, and that was with a 100% stock car with an alignment that was out of spec (from the factory!). and when i do get those silly angles, it's not because i'm trying to be fast, it's because i'm goofing off.

maybe if the day comes when someone is buying these things for me or i am paid to set lap times, then sure. but if i'm footing the bill...
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
f both of those options, haha. i'm not paying for a motec and disabling the AYC sounds like a horrible idea without some mechanical rear diff solution which also is just too much money. as it is, i can achieve the yaw angles i want in the X, and that was with a 100% stock car with an alignment that was out of spec (from the factory!). and when i do get those silly angles, it's not because i'm trying to be fast, it's because i'm goofing off.

maybe if the day comes when someone is buying these things for me or i am paid to set lap times, then sure. but if i'm footing the bill...
i would also leave the S-AWC electrical alone. I would do other things . Coils etc.
and power. But i think the best mod is a smart weight reduction on the X, period.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts

yea exactly. the drivetrain set up is more of a weakness of the 8/9s than the X's. The X has the newest sawc and ayc from the factory and perform quite well. the X's weakness can be more described as things like weight loss etc.

the suspension geometry on the X is also quite good, though it is also an area of weakness for the 8/9s (much of which can be fixed with bushings)
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
yea exactly. the drivetrain set up is more of a weakness of the 8/9s than the X's. The X has the newest sawc and ayc from the factory and perform quite well. the X's weakness can be more described as things like weight loss etc.

the suspension geometry on the X is also quite good, though it is also an area of weakness for the 8/9s (much of which can be fixed with bushings)
speaking of the CT9A's drivetrain, i remember one of chronohunter's posts. i believe he mentioned that he preferred the viscous center to the ACD. i wonder if he still feels that way in general, and if he's tried a reflashed or programmable ACD.

i have the whiteline roll center correction kit on a not too much lowered IX with coilovers. with the gruppe-s race flash, it feels like i have all the options i want when mid corner thru corner exit, bla bla bla, but corner entry is still weak. the only other thing i can think of is the perrin psrs to get more caster (as far as bushing solutions go). what do you guys think?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
speaking of the CT9A's drivetrain, i remember one of chronohunter's posts. i believe he mentioned that he preferred the viscous center to the ACD. i wonder if he still feels that way in general, and if he's tried a reflashed or programmable ACD.

i have the whiteline roll center correction kit on a not too much lowered IX with coilovers. with the gruppe-s race flash, it feels like i have all the options i want when mid corner thru corner exit, bla bla bla, but corner entry is still weak. the only other thing i can think of is the perrin psrs to get more caster (as far as bushing solutions go). what do you guys think?
i started doing research on this today. as of right now i have front control arm bushings which i believe help some. i will probably look into getting a whiteline precision steering kit, a few other bushings, maybe caster plate if a coilover set doesnt come with them.

i'll let you know if i come up with anything to match that turn in
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

owned all three versions,,,lets just say 9 se is my track car...10 is soon to be my daily again... they all rock,,,9 se is just ferosious...truely an animal of a different kind... better than my viper or lotus...just sick...love them all for different resons...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone define "Raw" for me

If you guys haven't noticed, all over the Evo X forums I keep hearing other owners of previous Evo all keep using the word "Raw" when comparing features of our new generation Evo X to the Evo 1-9 of the pass. I think that term is thrown around too much with no real absolute definition to describe a certain state of a car. Seriously what defines a car more "Raw" than another car. "Raw" is typically looked as archaic or in the purest natural form. If they want the "Rawest" car out there then you'll end up with a Flintstones car with you powering it.

Does taking my DRL bulb out makes my car just as "Raw" as the Evo 8 because back then Evo 8 never had DRL nor did old cars had them and by taking mine out of my Evo X that make my car just as "Raw" as the older cars.

Does not having AYC make my car just as "Raw" as the Evo 8/9 USDM because they never got to rock that feature in the past.

Does removing my rear seats make my car as light as the old Evo's considered more "Raw" or just as "Raw" as their car.

Just because there are additional features added to newer generations when compared to older generation models does not make them less "Raw" than the previous generation. I think that term is properly used when comparing 2 cars, it's kinda of taking it out of context. I can still keep all my extra features and still hang with the big boys new and old. Anyone else have this niche about people using the word "Raw" to compare our cars to other cars?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

raw=unprotected
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Their chief complaints are:
1- Extra curb weight (definitely the main beef).
2- Factory stereos that don't suck like all the CT9A stereos did (Raw stereos weigh less, man).
3- Slightly slower steering rack.
4- FAST key

raw   /rɔ/ Show Spelled
[raw] Show IPA
adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
1. uncooked, as articles of food: a raw carrot.
2. not having undergone processes of preparing, dressing, finishing, refining, or manufacture.
3. unnaturally or painfully exposed, as flesh, by removal of the skin or natural integument.
4. painfully open, as a sore or wound.
5. crude in quality or character; not tempered or refined by art or taste.
6. ignorant, inexperienced, or untrained: a raw recruit.
7. brutally or grossly frank: a raw portrayal of human passions.
8. brutally harsh or unfair: a raw deal; receiving raw treatment from his friends.
9. disagreeably damp and chilly, as the weather or air: a raw, foggy day at the beach.
10. not diluted, as alcoholic spirits: raw whiskey.
11. unprocessed or unevaluated: raw data.

Last edited by Noize; Nov 15, 2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: bolded the ones that best fit what the CT9A guys are talking about.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
On a serious note, the people that say the X is not raw enough are crazy, because they have a limited basis of comparison. An Evo VI RS is "raw".
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say that raw=uncooked, definitely applies in this situation....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Raw as in...

Evo x is more refined. It's less work to drive because its more comfortable and has better creature comforts.

Evo 8 + 9 are bouncy, plasticy, squeeky. But fast, stiff, lighter. More ragged.

If you try to lighten your evo x up by taking things off that make it more refined, then yes. Your car is definately more raw.

I like it raw.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
On a serious note, the people that say the X is not raw enough are crazy, because they have a limited basis of comparison. An Evo VI RS is "raw".
Exactly, doesn't a little modding and tuning can make any car just as powerful as the next.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:38 AM

You cant honestly say that the Evo 8/9's are more stiff than an X.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
Just because there are additional features added to newer generations when compared to older generation models does not make them less "Raw" than the previous generation.
It's not about features or any other superficial aspect of the machine. It's about the driving experience. Having just looked at your past threads and their emphasis on Show and Shine, I'm not sure if words on a screen can explain this.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 15, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX