Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
It's not about features or any other superficial aspect of the machine. It's about the driving experience. Having just looked at your past threads and their emphasis on Show and Shine, I'm not sure if words on a screen can explain this.
I'm not putting any emphasis on comparing my car's built to the others out there. I just want to know from the general public's view of "Raw". I'm curious if the Evo 7/8/9 guys get the same heat from the Evo 5/6 guys about theirs being more raw the same way that the Evo X guys are getting from the Evo 7/8/9
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
I'm curious if the Evo 7/8/9 guys get the same heat from the Evo 5/6 guys about theirs being more raw the same way that the Evo X guys are getting from the Evo 7/8/9
No. We all drive real Evos unlike...well...you know.

Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
I'm not putting any emphasis on comparing my car's built to the others out there. I just want to know from the general public's view of "Raw". I'm curious if the Evo 7/8/9 guys get the same heat from the Evo 5/6 guys about theirs being more raw the same way that the Evo X guys are getting from the Evo 7/8/9
They are, i remember reading how all the 5/6 guys aid they were the last real evos. Its just a generation thing. Evo drivers have the biggest egos of any other car group out there. Here in socal, evo drivers wont even come out to car meets unless they are "Evo Only" meets
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NotAnEvoOwner
They are, i remember reading how all the 5/6 guys aid they were the last real evos.
Where was this? 5/6 were never imported into the US. The folks on MLR, who drive Evos 1-10, don't seem to have this attitude. At all.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are, i remember reading how all the 5/6 guys aid they were the last real evos. Its just a generation thing. Evo drivers have the biggest egos of any other car group out there. Here in socal, evo drivers wont even come out to car meets unless they are "Evo Only" meets
It's because we aren't as good as 350z drivers at making up stories like, "just got off the expressway driving 200mph".

Puhleaze, we are not the gixxers of cars.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:04 AM

Just one article: http://www.supercars.net/cars/1355.html

Just cause the Evo 1-6 werent imported to the US doesnt mean they are null and void from this comparison.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
It's because we aren't as good as 350z drivers at making up stories like, "just got off the expressway driving 200mph".

Puhleaze, we are not the gixxers of cars.
I dont own a 350Z anymore. So nice try at a cheap stab.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:10 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Is this some kind of a joke?

Just cause the Evo 1-6 werent imported to the US doesnt mean they are null and void from this comparison.
At the risk of stating the brutally obvious, no one here has driven a 5/6, save for a handful of folks, so comparisons via imaginary experiences have no real relevance.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont own a 350Z anymore. So nice try at a cheap stab.
Guess again. All I saw was 350z, and instantly the thought of this tard with a 350z telling me this story played back in my mind. How egotistical of you to believe that I was somehow offended by your post and fired back.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Raw = Unpolish (unrefined)

... I believe (in this instance) people are suggesting the first nine Evos were a class creator... raw... all about "rally inspired performance"... and not so much on the amenities.

Number ten is more of a hybrid (no longer sticking to its class creator roots)... it has the "upbringings" of a rally inspired car, but really wants to fit in with a different crew... a more polished/fancy crew (where amenities are a must, even if it costs a little performance, i.e. curb weight for instance).

Just my thoughts. Not saying I don't dig the X, but if I were to guess at what the 1-9 purists are talking about... they think the X sold out to fit in (not saying it is not what Mitsu had to do to stay alive... and they are still dying).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:16 AM

http://www.streetfire.net/video/fift...o-6_681185.htm
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:20 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

A modded VI (carrying less weight) vs a stock IX, as featured on an entertainment program from another continent. So what? This is even less relevant than a stock Cobalt SS slaying a X on the track, as per C&D direct comparative testing. While we're on the subject, A IX was tested against a mid-engine Porsche and came out ahead (R&T). The year after, a X was tested against a Ford Taurus and didn't finish first. Isn't magazine racing fun?

Last edited by FJF; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:25 AM

Slower. I love the fact that you wont get off that there might possibly be a car better than an Evo 8/9. Guess its just not possible. Around the world opinions on how good the 9 are vary.

We have the constant Evo 8/9 vs Evo X and everywhere else is the Evo 5/6 vs Evo 8/9 vs Evo X
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:26 AM

And the Evo 6 wasnt modded, the Evo 9 was.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

What I think someone needs to explain to the OP is that the Evo X being less "raw" (since we keep putting it in quotes) is not necessarily a bad thing. I like my STi because it is so much less raw than my old VIII and even less than the X.

OP: Think of it this way.

Go drive a race car (not a modified car to be a race car, a full on purpose built race car) and then drive your Evo. You'll notice your driving experience is "easier" and that you are less "in-touch" with the road, but also that it is quieter and much more comfortable. And if you don't... Well, then arguing why your car isn't as raw as the older generations is just stupid, because you obviously don't care.

Not being "as raw" doesn't mean it isn't "as fast." And you can certainly mod a car to make it more raw.

And yes, the older generations of the Evo are more raw. I've been in a IV before.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX