Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
That you are blinded by your current ownership. It's not a debate that the Evo 10 *materials* are much cheaper then the ct9a in every way.

If you chose to debate it you are blinded by your current ownership.

I own both so I get to see both sides almost daily, I get to stroke the nice touchable dash and rest my soft elbows on the lovely touchable door panels in my ct9a during the morning, in the afternoon I am imprisoned by the hard plastics on every single surface in my RA, this is the greatness of having a daily unbiased relationship with both.

- Bryan
oh im sorry... so if the X materials are much cheaper every way and uncomfotable then the Evo 8, how come the X is less raw and the same time 8 is more comfortable?...
I think if you looking unbiased opinion you find it in your own post.
Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

cool where it s belongs, and the blind can find all they answeres here without posting LOL
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
Raw.

Evo IX vs Evo X...

Evo IX... no creature comforts, no NAVIGATION... (really?) I didn't buy the Evo to take road trips on... I know where I'm going and don't need some car to tell me where to go..
Evo IX... last tried and true 4G63. Period.
Evo IX... no fancy schmancy radio... I'd rather listen to the exhaust, intake and the diverter valve, than some hooped up sound system...
Evo IX... less weight... purpose built for the track, rally or drag racing.

Evo IX... less parts on the body made of plastic...
Evo IX... no AYC... active yaw control actually slows the car down to maintain grip. You can't just get in it and drive it for what it's worth... the car is actually making adjustments for the driver. This isn't RAW.

Evo X is a great car, I just don't see where it meets the RAW feel of a purpose and streamlined Evo IX...

The Evo X has things in it that provide "comforts". I didn't buy my Evo to be comfortable. I drove it to be one with the car and for the performance. I've driven both and prefer the VIII IX over the X...

/rant
Orly? That all makes no sense in a argument. Because a lotus doesn't have a 4g63, that makes it less "raw" than a IX?

2nd, X's have a button to turn off the radio to listen to the things you posted.. IX's have radios too man.

You are full of ignorance and bias :/

Dont get me wrong, but in a world of VALID facts, I would think the VIII,IX>X.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

so i can post this again for those who say the X is not as good as the IX or earlier models, here is for them some insight.
Just a last WRC event in Wales , the PWRC category/production WRC/ where many CT9A runs and some 6 and so/ but they are dying out/ the first 3 places is swiped by the X

"
Wales PWRC:
1. Tänak/Sikk Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X 3:38:31,0
2. Araújo/Ramalho Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +3:15,8
3. Paddon/Kennard Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +4:27,9 "

The US and Canadian Champion is a Evo X. And so on so forth. Where also many CT9A and older versions running....

And this is "just" rally/ where the Evo heritage died out with a X.... remember?/ , we all know how the X does in TA too.

And there is a twist in here. There is a completely new platform with only 2 year back ground the X. Realisticly 1 year racing developmant since they are champs in 2010. And wins over the 10+ years development, tested - refind more lighter and power full set upped cars /earlier Evo's/. How do you explaint that? Just step back sit down and think. Let the emotion not run over you...
these are facts , no forum talks , from who knows who.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Let the emotion not run over you...

Rob
Just FYI, and please don't take this the wrong way.... I have a hard time understanding some of your points sometimes (most of the time) so I'm just trying to help.

I think you meant "don't let your emotions over run you..." which when put the correct way, pertains to you as well...

Btw I *never* said *anything* about performance differences between the cars whatsoever. The *only* things I was stating was *material* differences.

- Bryan
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The highest horsepower and fastest drag, road racing and time attack times come from an Evo VIII / IX, not an Evo X...

RAW....

And to answer the question. The Evo VIII and IX MR is stupid and pointless. MR bilstein, 6 speed tranny... alcantara suede seats. Stupid.

I run my STOCK radio in my Evo IX and rarely use it. This is my race car. You want a luxury car, go buy a Lexus or a BMW or a Infinity.

IX > X.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:33 PM

The highest horsepower and fastest drag, road racing and time attack times come from an Evo VIII / IX, not an Evo X...
Thats also due to years and years of R&D on the Evo 8/9's. Thats like saying my 12 year old is better at everything than your 6 year old. I dont even think theres an upgraded Intake Manifold for the X's yet.

Also, there are drag cars that put the Evo 8/9 to shame as well as the X. Look at AMS GT-R, fill interior and it runs 9's.

Last edited by NotAnEvoOwner; Nov 15, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
so i can post this again for those who say the X is not as good as the IX or earlier models, here is for them some insight.
Just a last WRC event in Wales , the PWRC category/production WRC/ where many CT9A runs and some 6 and so/ but they are dying out/ the first 3 places is swiped by the X

"
Wales PWRC:
1. Tänak/Sikk Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X 3:38:31,0
2. Araújo/Ramalho Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +3:15,8
3. Paddon/Kennard Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +4:27,9 "

The US and Canadian Champion is a Evo X. And so on so forth. Where also many CT9A and older versions running....

And this is "just" rally/ where the Evo heritage died out with a X.... remember?/ , we all know how the X does in TA too.

And there is a twist in here. There is a completely new platform with only 2 year back ground the X. Realisticly 1 year racing developmant since they are champs in 2010. And wins over the 10+ years development, tested - refind more lighter and power full set upped cars /earlier Evo's/. How do you explaint that? Just step back sit down and think. Let the emotion not run over you...
these are facts , no forum talks , from who knows who.

Rob
it's kind of hard to make conclusions like that.. also, the platform has been out for 3+ years now, not 1 year racing development.

all the tried and true methods of tuning cars have been out since the beginning of racing. evo x is not racing with 1-3 years of knowledge... it's racing with knowledge compiled since the history of rallying.. turbos, 4wd, tires, etc etc...

And with tuning, tried and true methods (at least in US) have started since 03 evo.. timing, more boost, increased exhaust flow, suspension tweaks etc... name one of those that the evo X doesn't use...

with that said, i'm sure Xs are rallying champs - but you can't compare with different shops, different drivers like that.. obviously if shops are racing brand new xs and turning them into rally cars they've got bigger budgets etc.

for example i could mention redline time attack too, where the X is no longer dominating like it once was. Records made from the Gates TA car are being broken this year by older cars.. even the old 94-99 subaru impreza.. street tire class was won by an evo 7, faster than two Xs.. that doesn't mean i can use that as evidence that 7 is faster than X

like i said, i think you know how i feel - x is a great great car and i dont doubt that it is a faster rally car than older evos

ps, i have just the core of the rear lsd.. let me know if you can use that in the X's housing or if you need a whole new set up since same mechanicals fit in the ct9a and X. anyway let me know if that will work, i can let it go cheap for an old friend

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 15, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just FYI, and please don't take this the wrong way.... I have a hard time understanding some of your points sometimes (most of the time) so I'm just trying to help.

I think you meant "don't let your emotions over run you..." which when put the correct way, pertains to you as well...

Btw I *never* said *anything* about performance differences between the cars whatsoever. The *only* things I was stating was *material* differences.

- Bryan
Cool Bryan. fact i prefer people to help me to correct my english. Many times i do offend people without my will, just because my english. Thanks to not take me a wrong way. Actually im the typical case of, "i do not know better".
If i would, probably i would pick nicer words to explain myself.

Rob
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
it's kind of hard to make conclusions like that.. also, the platform has been out for 3+ years now, not 1 year racing development.

all the tried and true methods of tuning cars have been out since the beginning of racing. evo x is not racing with 1-3 years of knowledge... it's racing with knowledge compiled since the history of rallying.. turbos, 4wd, tires, etc etc...

And with tuning, tried and true methods (at least in US) have started since 03 evo.. timing, more boost, increased exhaust flow, suspension tweaks etc... name one of those that the evo X doesn't use...

with that said, i'm sure Xs are rallying champs - but you can't compare with different shops, different drivers like that.. obviously if shops are racing brand new xs and turning them into rally cars they've got bigger budgets etc.

for example i could mention redline time attack too, where the X is no longer dominating like it once was. Records made from the Gates TA car are being broken this year by older cars.. even the old 94-99 subaru impreza.. street tire class was won by an evo 7, faster than two Xs.. that doesn't mean i can use that as evidence that 7 is faster than X

ps, i have just the core of the rear lsd.. let me know if you can use that in the X's housing or if you need a whole new set up since same mechanicals fit in the ct9a and X. anyway let me know if that will work, i can let it go cheap for an old friend
"ps, i have just the core of the rear lsd.. let me know if you can use that in the X's housing or if you need a whole new set up since same mechanicals fit in the ct9a and X. anyway let me know if that will work, i can let it go cheap for an old friend"
cool most likelly I need that, I will Pme you asap i find it out!

"it's kind of hard to make conclusions like that.. also, the platform has been out for 3+ years now, not 1 year racing development"
i dont know how come out the 3 years. Most of all the racing development comes from racing. I dont recall Evo in the rally in 07...
They started to build the X's around mid 08, but they were just a first steps as a development started. Fact wasnt even parts to start to experimenting which is better... All the old knowledge about the earlier evos is out of the window. Since this car doesnt even have a speed reading wire to connect my gear indicator or my terra trip. LOL
So might as well you can start over with a subaru instead.
The X is night and day difference vs the earlier versions. Completely different car.
So as we speek end of the 2010 season, were they became a champ cars, between 08 and 2010 race season is only 1 year development . Which is 09. You can progress in the racing year, but that will not make you champ in that year for sure. You have to have a base car developed to start the race year if you win the championship. The base knowledge comes between 08 and 09, based on my brainstorm here LOL.
That s about my "probably a year experience" explanation.

"And with tuning, tried and true methods (at least in US) have started since 03 evo.. timing, more boost, increased exhaust flow, suspension tweaks etc... name one of those that the evo X doesn't use..." tuning is a PART of the game. As its stands today , i needed a guy from EU to tune my car right, since he had tuned countless rally evo X's. No matter how good you are if you dont go thru the try and error stage. Beside how you tune a engine if you dont know really the limits? Hope?
Any other issue like drive train brakes etc is jut an extra for the mixture. And i can go on and on... You cant even fit the ct9a brakes on the X as an example /not like before.../

"with that said, i'm sure Xs are rallying champs - but you can't compare with different shops, different drivers like that.. obviously if shops are racing brand new xs and turning them into rally cars they've got bigger budgets etc."
belive me when im saying this, those who runs those events, i put them up as an example , there is no budget problems which car could you start with, or develop.
Like ACP sponsored by NOS etc. Or The PWRC cars, all big teams .
There is some more adventerues race teams and some "play safe" mentality ones. Those once's stayed with the CT9A and wait how the X will perform. Now i can tell you , you will be surpised how much X will run soon in rally LOL

"for example i could mention redline time attack too, where the X is no longer dominating like it once was. Records made from the Gates TA car are being broken this year by older cars.. even the old 94-99 subaru impreza.. street tire class was won by an evo 7, faster than two Xs.. that doesn't mean i can use that as evidence that 7 is faster than X"
i dont follow RT and those, but as far as i know untill RG stepped to the unlimted class he was a champ. Meaning in the closer to stock car, and not unlimited budget racing, the X over runned the older versions. And we talking about Evos not overall championship- like you mentioned Subaru.
So as soon as you go unlimited class, all gloves off. You can't make a parallel between those cars and the stock ones. Unless its a head lights, which most of them doesnt even have LOl

That is my opinion of course. So dont get offended and raise the dif price on me

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 15, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
"ps, i have just the core of the rear lsd.. let me know if you can use that in the X's housing or if you need a whole new set up since same mechanicals fit in the ct9a and X. anyway let me know if that will work, i can let it go cheap for an old friend"
cool most likelly I need that, I will Pme you asap i find it out!

"it's kind of hard to make conclusions like that.. also, the platform has been out for 3+ years now, not 1 year racing development"
i dont know how come out the 3 years. Most of all the racing development comes from racing. I dont recall Evo in the rally in 07...
They started to build the X's around mid 08, but they were just a first steps as a development started. Fact wasnt even parts to start to experimenting which is better... All the old knowledge about the earlier evos is out of the window. Since this car doesnt even have a speed reading wire to connect my gear indicator or my terra trip. LOL
So might as well you can start over with a subaru instead.
The X is night and day difference vs the earlier versions. Completely different car.
So as we speek end of the 2010 season, were they became a champ cars, between 08 and 2010 race season is only 1 year development . Which is 09. You can progress in the racing year, but that will not make you champ in that year for sure. You have to have a base car developed to start the race year if you win the championship. The base knowledge comes between 08 and 09, based on my brainstorm here LOL.
That s about my "probably a year experience" explanation.

"And with tuning, tried and true methods (at least in US) have started since 03 evo.. timing, more boost, increased exhaust flow, suspension tweaks etc... name one of those that the evo X doesn't use..." tuning is a PART of the game. As its stands today , i needed a guy from EU to tune my car right, since he had tuned countless rally evo X's. No matter how good you are if you dont go thru the try and error stage. Beside how you tune a engine if you dont know really the limits? Hope?
Any other issue like drive train brakes etc is jut an extra for the mixture. And i can go on and on... You cant even fit the ct9a brakes on the X as an example /not like before.../

"with that said, i'm sure Xs are rallying champs - but you can't compare with different shops, different drivers like that.. obviously if shops are racing brand new xs and turning them into rally cars they've got bigger budgets etc."
belive me when im saying this, those who runs those events, i put them up as an example , there is no budget problems which car could you start with, or develop.
Like ACP sponsored by NOS etc. Or The PWRC cars, all big teams .
There is some more adventerues race teams and some "play safe" mentality ones. Those once's stayed with the CT9A and wait how the X will perform. Now i can tell you , you will be surpised how much X will run soon in rally LOL

"for example i could mention redline time attack too, where the X is no longer dominating like it once was. Records made from the Gates TA car are being broken this year by older cars.. even the old 94-99 subaru impreza.. street tire class was won by an evo 7, faster than two Xs.. that doesn't mean i can use that as evidence that 7 is faster than X"
i dont follow RT and those, but as far as i know untill RG stepped to the unlimted class he was a champ. Meaning in the closer to stock car, and not unlimited budget racing, the X over runned the older versions. And we talking about Evos not overall championship- like you mentioned Subaru.
So as soon as you go unlimited class, all gloves off. You can't make a parallel between those cars and the stock ones. Unless its a head lights, which most of them doesnt even have LOl

That is my opinion of course. So dont get offended and raise the dif price on me
Sure - LSD Core pics are in my sig if you want to take a look, PM me when u find out

I meant a more general sense about improvement of cars - methods of tuning get better tires get better on and on.. I would assume tire technology today is better than from ten years ago etc etc.

There is a trial an error stage for tuning cars but the basic formula for creating power are the same as the ones I mentioned, and those methods go for pretty much every turbocharged engine, with differences in each car tweaking obviously. So it's not like they start from complete scratch and have NO idea what to do. They don't think "will using a 1" exhaust pipe work better for making power?? we should test it since it's a brand new car." The formulas are there. It's not about going from trying IX brakes on X - they already know newer brake technology, bigger brakes, calipers etc. They didn't think "will smaller brake with less surface area work better??" etc etc etc.

I just mentioned RT as an example - his records from the class before (not unlimited class) are being broken by older cars in that class, but that doesn't make the older cars better. Right now it is the ct9as that dominate the street class, and they've broken many of RG's record from the street class. He overran the older cars that were competing that year - hard to say if he would beat the current older cars that are beating his old records, but its safe to say that no other X is doing what he did.

Anyway my only point is that you can't really just compare different shops and racecars to make a definitive conclusion about any one car. I don't think the GC impreza is the best impreza because it's winning this year (but maybe it is lol it's my favorite gen anyway used to own one).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize

In my mind, though, any racecar special that pulls out creature comforts to increase performance and thus create a more favorable power:weight ratio is certainly pursuing rawness, ie: removing unnecessary bits for racing.
Sounds right to me. You should volunteer to be a mod
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this must have gone way far off base to get moved in to here... What started out as an OP wanting a definition of "raw" turned in to an Evo vs Evo debate... Fail Evo Community.

PS My STi is better. So your arguments are rendered invalid. Welcome to the internets.

Oh yeah, and unsubscribed. Glad the mods moved it, but really all the off topic posts should have been removed.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAnEvoOwner
Thats also due to years and years of R&D on the Evo 8/9's. Thats like saying my 12 year old is better at everything than your 6 year old. I dont even think theres an upgraded Intake Manifold for the X's yet.

Also, there are drag cars that put the Evo 8/9 to shame as well as the X. Look at AMS GT-R, fill interior and it runs 9's.

Right. Partially my point. This is what I am saying.. in due time and process, maybe the 4B11T will meet or exceed what the 4G63 has and can do...

Just like new members with 56 posts have less time than those with 2,000+ I'm not saying old dogs can't teach new dogs tricks, just that is one side.

Some say the best Evo was the TME VII... I wonder why. Because it was RAW. No fancy gizmo's, creature comforts, navigation etc... just get in, drive that thing like you stole it.

AMS has a fast drag car as well. Now you're just comparing apples to oranges as the GTR is a completely different car with 2 more cylinders and a second turbo...

Last edited by compscibOi; Nov 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:10 AM

Right. Partially my point. This is what I am saying.. in due time and process, maybe the 4B11T will meet or exceed what the 4G63 has and can do...

Just like new members with 56 posts have less time than those with 2,000+ I'm not saying old dogs can't teach new dogs tricks, just that is one side.

Some say the best Evo was the TME VII... I wonder why. Because it was RAW. No fancy gizmo's, creature comforts, navigation etc... just get in, drive that thing like you stole it.

AMS has a fast drag car as well. Now you're just comparing apples to oranges as the GTR is a completely different car with 2 more cylinders and a second turbo...
I agree with you as far as the GT-R thing, just throwing that out there.

Personally, I dont understand the hatred amongst Evo 8/9 drivers to Evo X. drivers. Ya its a new car that May have more creature comforts, but its also a lot more stiff as well. Both are great cars and i've driven both. I have respect for each car and what they can accomplish. I just dont get why there is such bias on the forums.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX