Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAnEvoOwner
I agree with you as far as the GT-R thing, just throwing that out there.

Personally, I dont understand the hatred amongst Evo 8/9 drivers to Evo X. drivers. Ya its a new car that May have more creature comforts, but its also a lot more stiff as well. Both are great cars and i've driven both. I have respect for each car and what they can accomplish. I just dont get why there is such bias on the forums.
I don't hate Evo X drivers. My issue is with the development of the Evo. An Evolution by name is supposed to evolve. The X was a major step backwards.

A disappointment IMO.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
I don't hate Evo X drivers. My issue is with the development of the Evo. An Evolution by name is supposed to evolve. The X was a major step backwards.

A disappointment IMO.
I disagree, and I'm one of the major IX guys on this thread lol.

The evolution of the X was to maintain performance of previous cars while expanding market base and increasing comfort, safety, and features, which is exactly what the X has accomplished.

My only issues are with either side claiming theirs has the most performance potential. One thing is for certain: Neither cars blow the other away, at least on the track. The rest is just preference of car behavior. Some people may genuinely feel more connected to the car in a IX than in a X - and I can definitely buy that.

One of the biggest determinant of the X behavior is the s-awc, and in particular the sayc - doing all sorts of its own calculations and determinations for how much power to shuffle side to side. The driver is only in indirect control of that. no one can say, if i brake this much and turn this car this much and make the car yaw this much sawc and sayc will do exactly xx. That said mitsu has put a lot of time into the development of these parts so they are most likely going to be doing the "right" thing to make the car go faster.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi

A disappointment IMO.
Groupthink and stunted ideas like this is why this topic stays confined to one thread. The X guys deserve to have their area free from reading their car bashed. It is much better than it was 2 years ago, as results have proven the potential of the new chassis, but is still exists. That said, I am OK with it in this one place, but it won't happen out anywhere else in the X sections.

If you X guys are seeing it in other places, please report it. We'll put a stop to it right away.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ It's all good. I subbed to this thread because I was interested in other ideas. I almost bought a 2006 but it would have been a very slightly used car, with Mitsu already announcing and poneying around the "creature comfort" improvements (insert laugh track there) in the upcoming X. Due to that and time for me to get both educated and better funded for the car (pay off my X in June 11), the IX was a near purchase. I can see why there's an unconscious 'bashing' -- newer shinier version, it's normal for any major purchase that your biggest buyers remorse is not having the NEWEST latest and greatest. Someday X owners will bash XI's that come out with who knows what. Doubt many will really pronounce the technical superiority of a hybrid or whatever comes next tho, but I'm not blind that the future holds as many possibilities as the past has had.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
I can see why there's an unconscious 'bashing' -- newer shinier version, it's normal for any major purchase that your biggest buyers remorse is not having the NEWEST latest and greatest.
This is new. I can't recall anyone else taking a similar direction, given the arguments at hand.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAnEvoOwner
I agree with you as far as the GT-R thing, just throwing that out there.

Personally, I dont understand the hatred amongst Evo 8/9 drivers to Evo X. drivers. Ya its a new car that May have more creature comforts, but its also a lot more stiff as well. Both are great cars and i've driven both. I have respect for each car and what they can accomplish. I just dont get why there is such bias on the forums.
"I just dont get why there is such bias on the forums"
maybe comes from the same attitude as a "only evo allowed" meeting theory... The 8-9 is basically a same car with some tweaks and minor differences vs the X completly different approach and look. There for i gues they dont feel "belongs "to them ... LOL
Hey self esteem is a big motivation factor...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
"I just dont get why there is such bias on the forums"
maybe comes from the same attitude as a "only evo allowed" meeting theory... The 8-9 is basically a same car with some tweaks and minor differences vs the X completly different approach and look. There for i gues they dont feel "belongs "to them ... LOL
Hey self esteem is a big motivation factor...
then again there are some people who genuinely believe the older car is a better one for a certain specific purpose. "hating" a car on the other hand is completely pointless.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Groupthink and stunted ideas like this is why this topic stays confined to one thread. The X guys deserve to have their area free from reading their car bashed. It is much better than it was 2 years ago, as results have proven the potential of the new chassis, but is still exists. That said, I am OK with it in this one place, but it won't happen out anywhere else in the X sections.

If you X guys are seeing it in other places, please report it. We'll put a stop to it right away.
Thank you, sir. My post was within the thread topic. I never bashed anyone or anything, just freedom of speech to speak my opinion and facts.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting perspectives coming from the owners of the 8 9 and 10. I don't have an evo yet but I have been doing some research on them and from looking from the out side in I have determined the following so far. The 9 is better than the 8 only because the 9 has added features the 8 doesn't. You already know what they are. The 9 and 10 are different dimensions. The 9 is from a world of speed and then some not focused on creature comforts. The 10 is from the dimension of speed and comfort. Different focuses.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I havent driven a X yet so i cant judge on how it drives. What turns me off is the look of the X's compared to normal lancers. I cant really tell a difference!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Playap07
Very interesting perspectives coming from the owners of the 8 9 and 10. I don't have an evo yet but I have been doing some research on them and from looking from the out side in I have determined the following so far. The 9 is better than the 8 only because the 9 has added features the 8 doesn't. You already know what they are. The 9 and 10 are different dimensions. The 9 is from a world of speed and then some not focused on creature comforts. The 10 is from the dimension of speed and comfort. Different focuses.
I'd not put a lot of stock in the 10's angle for "comfort". It does have some updated amenities, temp control is sweet, but "comfort" is not really how you'd describe it on midwest roads with potholes. Nor does the noise from the high RPM's required with the gear ratio, which is high because of the heavy weight, inspire comfort.

The thing with the X is that Mitsu went to their unibody common chassis approach (common with many many car makers). So it's really stiff (heck, its a SUV chassis in other forms) and it does have 5 star safety rating. But the "comfort" was just the side effect of throwing the car into the updated chassis, more than a focus.

Styling IMO was something they wanted, but they bled that over/shared it with a base GTS, so it's not as unique, which was a 8 and 9 focus, unique appearance over the base lancers.

But I agree, different focus, but that's more to do with the times/economics of cost reduction, safety "standards", than some stated direction. I think Mitsu will now tend to follow the trends, rather than set them. At least til the economy comes back and they hopefully pull their MMNA act together.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WolfsFang
I havent driven a X yet so i cant judge on how it drives. What turns me off is the look of the X's compared to normal lancers. I cant really tell a difference!
Well after driving mine, you look at the front of the cars, its really easy to tell the difference....the side its harder to tell i'd agree
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i drove both and although i really liked the X, the IX fit me better for what i wanted

the IX just felt more "raw"
Old Dec 7, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I absolutely love my IX. Everything about this car is what I have always looked for. I personally don't think they are that uncomfortable to ride in. Yeah, having no cruise kinda sucks alot of people don't use the cruise on their cars anyway.
I will admit I am a bit of a purist so when they took the 4G63 out of the EVO I thought it was the dumbest thing Mitsubishi ever did. The EVO X is not necessarily a bad looking car but I think they stole some Lexus styling for the rear end and it resembles a large mouth bass in the front...well...a mean looking large mouth bass LMAO.
The X, as we all know now, does respond well to bolt ons so that's a plus but I've never driven one. I'd like to but they haven't sold EVO's here in Columbia for quite some time since the economy got so bad. I sat in the new X when they first got on the lots and I like the seats but the visibility out the front, sides, and rear was very poor. It's more refined inside but I'm a young guy and when I want a high performance car I'm not so worried about all the "extra's". The trunk is also MUCH smaller. The back seat doesn't have as much room either. So I don't know if I would ever purchase one but I don't hate the X...I just prefer an VIII or IX.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had both this cars brand new now the owners are selling them back the evo8 is a jdm model has 362whp i myself modded it sold it with 23,400miles it now has 25,000miles it has been garage kept it still looks brand new, now the evo x is an mr model i also bought it new sold with 11,000miles it now has 15,000miles the thing is that the evo x is much more money for me right now but i could still buy it as for the evo 8 i could buy cause its a lot cheaper,i really miss the evos,if i dont buy neither of them maybe next year by mid november i would buy a new evox gsr but thats still almost a year from now.
Had both and i loved the rawness of the evo8 and how fast it was,know the evox mr was nice for dailydriving but lacked that rush of speed.
Which one would you buy or would you wait a whole year for a new evox gsr?

thanks guys

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX