Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i would like to see trap speeds on the evo x in stock form and with bolt ons i just dont care about dyno numbers anymore...
we must see how it does on the track first of all ,then we can make conclusions on this new platform

Last edited by jrsimon27; Feb 3, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stronger chasis? side airbags? i like the fact that your a bit safer...
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loosekannon87
this being said i will buy an evo for the first time ever.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:55 AM

^^^ idk if your being sarcastic but i have a 1 1/2 year old son and im 21 years old so i like to keep it on the "safer" side keeping in mind its a performance car and it DOES still perform from what i read. btw this will be my first evo when it comes to long island.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

^i am serious i have seen a totaled up IX and you know
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:01 AM

yeah man.... but on another note dont serious track racers remove everything from the seats to the sound system heat n a/c..
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

^those are not the target audience (niche)again
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:07 AM

yeah but everyone seems to care about track time
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by si_to_evo
this being said i will buy an evo for the first time ever.
Which, to the ops point, shows how different a car this is than previous generations. The audience for it seems vastly different from the fanboys of old. While we wanted power and performance, the newer buyers are attracted to a pretty interior and safety features--not to mention the much friendlier SST transmission. No, it doesn't take a god to drive a stick, but it is a skill that has to be learned. Just like riding a bike you're going to fall (stall) a few times, and some don't want that hassle.

The reason you see so much "hating" is because we're basically welcoming a whole new crowd to the EvoM site. That crowd has wildly different opinions of what makes a good car, so naturally we're going to have a few clashes.

If you view the poll I created a while back, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=322051 , you'll see a good majority of Evo X owners are first time buyers. That's really not surprising. Also not surprising is that many VIII owners are upgrading to the X, which makes sense if they have high mileage and want to stick with the Evo name. What you don't see are many (7 as of this posting) jumping from the IX to the X.

So why go on and on criticizing it? Well, it's a message board where discussions are encouraged. Repeating the same types of praise over and over is really no different than posting the same criticisms. It's really nothing to lose sleep over, but don't expect a whole group of Evo lovers to not speak their mind when the 4G63 is tossed aside in favor of an emission-friendly engine.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by loosekannon87
Exactly my thoughts. "Better" comes in more forms than just raw performance. It's trivial to increase performance if you have no interest in also evolving other aspects of the car.

To be frank, the abysmal safety rating of the VIII & IX were deal killers for me. The lack of cruise control and the 80's interior design were just icing on the cake. Mitsubishi has gone to great lengths to address these deficiencies, and now the X is on my list of potential replacements for my '06 STI (in fact, the X tops that list as the moment). Plus, Mitsu seems to have made progress with reliability concerns as well. They're not up there with Subaru and Honda, but they're much higher than the median.

I'm not a fanboy for sure, I have no loyalty to any manufacturer and I'll just choose the car I think is best. This year, Subaru is pushing me away by switching to a wagon design . Too bad, because the boxer motor is hands down the finest sounding 4-banger I've ever listened to. Nothing like a V8 purr, but it'll do . If it were just the minor handling niggles the magazines ***** about, and not the wagon design, I'd probably stick with Subaru. It's trivially easy to cure the understeer. I'm glad the X has offered me a sedan alternative that has all the features I need. Now if someone would just go back to making coupes (or even a 2-door hatch) with all of these features, I'd be stoked. I bet Ford could probably snag a sizeable chunk of this market if they'd bring the new Euro Focus RS to the states.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rane
Which, to the ops point, shows how different a car this is than previous generations. The audience for it seems vastly different from the fanboys of old. While we wanted power and performance, the newer buyers are attracted to a pretty interior and safety features--not to mention the much friendlier SST transmission. No, it doesn't take a god to drive a stick, but it is a skill that has to be learned. Just like riding a bike you're going to fall (stall) a few times, and some don't want that hassle.

The reason you see so much "hating" is because we're basically welcoming a whole new crowd to the EvoM site. That crowd has wildly different opinions of what makes a good car, so naturally we're going to have a few clashes.

If you view the poll I created a while back, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=322051 , you'll see a good majority of Evo X owners are first time buyers. That's really not surprising. Also not surprising is that many VIII owners are upgrading to the X, which makes sense if they have high mileage and want to stick with the Evo name. What you don't see are many (7 as of this posting) jumping from the IX to the X.

So why go on and on criticizing it? Well, it's a message board where discussions are encouraged. Repeating the same types of praise over and over is really no different than posting the same criticisms. It's really nothing to lose sleep over, but don't expect a whole group of Evo lovers to not speak their mind when the 4G63 is tossed aside in favor of an emission-friendly engine.
That is so true! most of the X lovers are actually new to the evo scene and not knowing the history would just cast off the previous evo's as has been. I see them driving civics, honda(other types) and would just like to go to debates when they are not in the market to begin with.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

It seems many who favor the IX over the X are dismissing it as being a "better" platform simply over a few tenths instead of looking at the overall improvements the car has.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

People just got their X for a few days. A little exuberance is not too unreasonable, is it? Or is it that any cheering will be met with these kinds of thread?

Please do not forget there were fair and balanced reviews from Noize and others.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Someone mentioned that I hate on the EVO X to justify my car note. Even though my car is paid off (as well as all the performance modifications done to the car), that hits the nail right on the head with respect to some of the EVO X purchasers. What irritates me is every little piece of positive information that has come from the tuners/shops up to this point has been received with overreactive responses. Sometimes to the point of downright false impressions.
In regards to the financial and performance end of things, I find myself thinking in the same train of thought.

Logically, I can't find a way to justify "stepping up" to the X. My car came new from California for $28,725 including the shipping cost to my city. Throw on $3000 of suspension work from Robi, a new $500 catback and testpipe, Works drop-in, a tune, an Autopower rollbar for the track, and misc stuff, I'm in to it for around $34K.

So the X comes from California for $32,500 shipped to my city, that gives me $1500 to make the X as good as the IX. So assuming I can get a catback and test pipe, tune, and some misc stuff for $1500, I'm left with a X that is equal to (or maybe eventually slighting better) in terms of power, but where am I in terms of suspension?

I guess until I get the chance to drive the stock suspension X on a race track (which will likely never happen) I'll just have to go with the quote that one of my instructors said to me as he was picking off GT3's at PCA event while driving my IX; "This is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven, period."

Certainly Kudo's go to Robi on the set up, but until X elicits quotes like this from those who race them, I'm content with the IX both from the financial and performance perspective.

I hope that the X does develop into a better performer than the previous generations, as in a few years I would be more than happy to get one
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
seems to me everybody who have skepticism with the X ,is the hater..

I have more problem with after 1-2 week dyno tests and parts being put it on final conclusions. Like we gained X amount of whp. Great, but it is reilable? You can make alots of extra whp with the older cars too, but you will cross the safe line. DID anybody put some thoughts about why is the new engine is soo rich? Does it do anything with the alu engine?? Since when is that rich its colder..Or they just smoked pot when they designed it?? That would be an answere?
We know where is the safe line with the older engine. Mean time we don't know where is the safe line with the new one. Or this is just me?
And still some guys make statements . And not so many tuner shop say, wait... we still testing! And those shops who are does it , i give a big respect for them.

Some even coming like the X as fast like the older "race" version. The fact 1 sec only slower, against all odds with the seat time difference in those two cars. If i following right that one ,in more seat time in, the new X will make the X even faster in that stage, then the race version... so let me break it down this one so i can explain my thought here better:
The new X with bolt ons , no tune, same tires and rims, run 1 sec slower then the race evo 8 on the 1minute over track with lot more seat time in it.... Sounds odd ? or this is just me again...
I didn't want to go back to them then ,but still just plain wrong. First of all, that car what they post there, with those specs, is not a race car/at least not what the race car should be/. I would call that car a weekend warrior , and for that is great. The race car is what you are purposley build and use for race only . Example the AMS car or Evasive , Robispec, Hotlaps etc., now those are the race cars. The fact, if you talking about race cars everybody pictures those not what they are talking about. But they still post it like that, and put it on on the forum like that.
So some newbie will think: whoa i get a X and with stage 1 /even without tune/ will be faster then the race preped 8 or 9....

You think don't raise some eyebrow when you see that? Specially when somebody driven a real race car and know what we actually talking about?

SO THESE THINGS MAKE ME A HATER ????

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 3, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX