Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it was just my daily driver i would drive one, to go fast and any future mods if planning to do so stick with the 8 or 9.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:49 AM

I think its best to have a X as a daily driver and a VIII or IX as your weekend toy ^___^
Old May 31, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lucke24
The IX is more raw and truly stands to the original appeal of what an EVO should be. That said, the X is more refined and works better stock vs. stock in every way. I must say that I agree with the fact that the IX is way better looking, but In all other categories the X is the choice. Just make sure you can get a stroller to fit. My golf clubs barely do...
Ditch the golf clubs. In this pic in my trunk: four jack stands, one 3000 lb floor jack, 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet sets, extra brakes/fluid, misc other tools, room for a folding chair and a few other things. Someone designed the trunk JUST RIGHT I used to be hater til I learned how to make it functional.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX-003.jpg  
Old May 31, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toyotabike
You can consider the Acura MDX. It handles very well for an SUV, safe, reliable, and easy to maintain. Overall excellent for families and easy to load baby seats.
SUV's suck. Let's see, out of the three letter acronym, I think we all know they'are not "sporty" or for sports, and "utility" only goes as far as a people mover/station wagon. I love my F250 Crew Cab with a crew cab, no arguing with utility, nor the "SUPER" status.

(I only wish some lame MBA graduate hadn't run his first two companies, the Texas Rangers and a small oil company into bankrupcy. Who'd have guessed in 99 that gasoline would/could quadruple in price?)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:46 PM

Great info in here
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:29 PM

9 is still my favorite, although many ppl ar breaking their 3rd gear
Old Jul 9, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to get a X but decided that I could get an 8 or 9 for a LOT less instead....it will be my dd so I might just go with a 9 MR for the 6th gear.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 06:22 PM

Evo 9 or Evo X

I had a black evolution 9 (not the MR) that i purchased for $18k with 30k miles the only mods i put on the car was an intake and exhaust i ran a 13.0 at 105mph not bad considering it was at about 7,000 ft above sea level then i traded it in with 60k miles for a red evolution X MR that i purchased for $30K with 15k miles mods are AMS UICP, full Fast Intentions exhaust, AMS intake, AMS FMIC, Cobb tuner, and a Grimspeed boost controller and my best time so far is a 12.9 at 110mph so obviously the 9 is faster but i got the X for the 6 speed and the X is heavier but classier IMO both are great cars but i wish i had a 9 mr but those are very rare!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by lucke24
The IX is more raw and truly stands to the original appeal of what an EVO should be. That said, the X is more refined and works better stock vs. stock in every way. I must say that I agree with the fact that the IX is way better looking, but In all other categories the X is the choice. Just make sure you can get a stroller to fit. My golf clubs barely do...
Originally Posted by Fittest
Evo X is quieter (relatively speaking), safer (in terms of bulk and weight) and more comfortable for a family and a baby. If you are really considering your family as a factor in this decision, the Evo X is the right choice.

If you want the better performing car, get an Evo IX GSR.

So this about sums up the IX? How about the X's 4B11? Has it been "proven" yet? I've been reading up on older threads back when people said the all aluminum 4B11 wouldn't be able to hold up a candle to the stronger 4G64. Has anything changed with that over the years?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Only1Balto
So this about sums up the IX? How about the X's 4B11? Has it been "proven" yet? I've been reading up on older threads back when people said the all aluminum 4B11 wouldn't be able to hold up a candle to the stronger 4G64. Has anything changed with that over the years?
I think as long as you stay under... ~700whp lol 4b11 is the way to go. No idea about longevity at that power level for obvious reasons
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:38 PM

Sweet Thanks. I guess that makes things a little easier for me. A lot of the new one owner X's cost just as much as the couple year old IX's.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramonski
I was going to get a X but decided that I could get an 8 or 9 for a LOT less instead....it will be my dd so I might just go with a 9 MR for the 6th gear.
Be careful. The six speed transmissions are weaker than the five speeds. MR is certainly nicer but if you have moderate power goals and wish to drive the evo likes its meant to be driven then the six speed would be a weak point.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykorean84
Be careful. The six speed transmissions are weaker than the five speeds. MR is certainly nicer but if you have moderate power goals and wish to drive the evo likes its meant to be driven then the six speed would be a weak point.
not a problem for DDs, just track hounds. But yea for track 5spd is the way to go. For moderate power, occasional autox/track, and mainly DD, nothing wrong with the 6spd
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
not a problem for DDs, just track hounds. But yea for track 5spd is the way to go. For moderate power, occasional autox/track, and mainly DD, nothing wrong with the 6spd
Agreed. As long as you don't get silly with the power/torque 6spd will a good lil DD.

Last edited by krazykorean84; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: talkin nonsense
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
Ironic, huh? I got the GSR in 08, it was actually before the MR's hit the US shores. Mainly it wasn't because of impatience (yes, I really wanted one badly) it was because the MR SST repair/replacement cost of ownership. I had always wanted to get a decent car for the track and considered the SST a liability more than an asset on the track. Track times are great on the SST, leaving it *****-to-the-wall and letting the driver worry about speed, braking points, etc., and not worry about the downshift/upshift smoothness (which under engine braking is quite a challenge). But the dern things tend to overheat because of the same speed of shifting it can do. Maybe if they do keep the 10 alive or even make an "XI" that's a X+, they'll improve the robustness under load/heat caused by tracking it.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX