Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by studioface
Is it that no one wants the Evo X due to the:

1.newer shape and styling
2.new aluminum block compared to the iron block
3.a crammed engine bay and reversed turbo location making it a PITA for DIY jobs
4.no rawness to the Evo X oppose to the VIII and IX
5.the IX and VIII looks more aggressive than the X
6.the fuel pump relay issue that was plaguing the X
The ultimate in street cred vs. relatively little street cred. That's all it comes down to in this market segment.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok thats what a thought.So I guess most people favor the VIII or IX vs X hence less enthusiast going for the X = low prices
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's cause you were on eBay. Look at dealers prices and look on Kelly blue book. 8/9's are much cheaper then 10's. I recently sold my 9 for a 10 mr, and the 10 is a better car in my opinion. You mentioned that the 10 has a few issues here and there, did you forget about all the problems that 8/9's have?? I would say the average 8 goes for about 11-16k, 9's are 16-24k, and x's are 24-35k. This is what I saw the pricing to be in the Seattle area when I was looking for a 10 the past couple of months.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

I really think the X looks more aggressive
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rockbmx1
It's cause you were on eBay. Look at dealers prices and look on Kelly blue book. 8/9's are much cheaper then 10's. I recently sold my 9 for a 10 mr, and the 10 is a better car in my opinion. You mentioned that the 10 has a few issues here and there, did you forget about all the problems that 8/9's have?? I would say the average 8 goes for about 11-16k, 9's are 16-24k, and x's are 24-35k. This is what I saw the pricing to be in the Seattle area when I was looking for a 10 the past couple of months.
what.. problems? aside from market release, i dont think the 9 has had any problems.. and the 10 hasn't raelly had any since '10 either

i think he's referring to good condition 9s with low miles to similar condition 10s with similar miles, which boils down to supply and demand.. there's a ton of 03 evo 8's going for 15k, you're right
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rockbmx1
Edit: As one who's been here for a while, I hope you can forgive my small indulgence. You see, I find comments like yours absolutely fascinating in a social-science forum sense, if you will, so I took a quick look at your past posts. I'm sure I'm wrong about most of this, so please feel free to correct me: It seems like you purchased a used IX about a year ago and started on it right away. Was it modded heavily before you bought it, or was it you who decided on the Black that had to be sent in for a rebuild? After coming across a number of problems you sold it for an automatic, which you proclaim to be a better vehicle. No doubt, it is.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: text
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WolfsFang
I really think the X looks more aggressive
I think its the wide body style,vortex generator and carbon fiber wing that sold me on the VIII and IX
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

The X is a fun car and likely more reliable overall. I have driven both and and I just think the 8's and 9's are more fun to drive. I came down to just signing the paperwork on a X, but waited until I drove a few more of them and picked up an 8 last year. I liked the lower price on the 8 over the 9 and have been happy since. I really don't like the look of any of them 8,9 or X. Kind of an ugly car to me, but fun enough to drive that I don't care.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

My wife and I dont share the same passion for cars but she loves the 8s and 9s compared to the 10 saying it could pass for a GTS,but she can definitely tell a 8/9 from a mile away.

Last edited by studioface; Oct 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You bought an automatic. 'nuff said.
The paddle shifters are the only thing that keep me interested in getting a used X MR someday. It's not the X's styling or it's engine.

Why hate on the semi-automatic?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:06 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by njboy
The paddle shifters are the only thing that keep me interested in getting a used X MR someday. It's not the X's styling or it's engine.
...that's great.

Don't you think hate is just a bit too strong a word? I mean, hate is the pinnacle of loathing and we're just citing a choice of a transmission.

Edit: Having just read some of the other posts, this is turning a X vs CT9A thread. We've had enough of those and there's a whole big sticky on the noob board. The OP asked why similarly spec'd IXs can sell for more than their X brethren. Seems well-covered.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Edit: As one who's been here for a while, I hope you can forgive my small indulgence. You see, I find comments like yours absolutely fascinating in a social-science forum sense, if you will, so I took a quick look at your past posts. I'm sure I'm wrong about most of this, so please feel free to correct me: It seems like you purchased a used IX about a year ago and started on it right away. Was it modded heavily before you bought it, or was it you who decided on the Black that had to be sent in for a rebuild? After coming across a number of problems you sold it for an automatic, which you proclaim to be a better vehicle. No doubt, it is.
You did a bit of research on me, interesting. I bought my ix bone stock. I sold a 95 talon awd that I spent 4 years building to buy the Evo. My talon made 694whp, so I've been around the block with dsm's and evos.

I started to mod the car right away, because I knew what my goals were. I got the black from a friend that traded his car in with the turbo on it so we swapped my stock turbo on his car and I too the black. I had it rebuilt, I know how the blacks lifespan is so it was a precaution. I never had any problems at all with my ix, it was actually the most reliable car I've owned to date. I sold it because I had a chance to make some money that I could stash away for a down payment on a house. Then I found a good deal on the x mr and my wife wanted it for her daily so that's why we bought the mr. I would have bought a gsr if it was my car, but it's not so mr it is.

I think the build quality is much better and the immenities are nice to have like the navi system. Also the mr is much quieter inside so it will be better for when I have kids and won't damage their hearing.

My opinion that the x's are better is based on my needs and wants for a vehicle. I'm not being ignorant, I've built a few cars over the years and I think that Mitsubishi did a good job with the x's. I still love the 8/9's but for my current needs the x takes first.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
...that's great.

Don't you think hate is just a bit too strong a word? I mean, hate is the pinnacle of loathing and we're just citing a choice of a transmission.

Edit: Having just read some of the other posts, this is turning a X vs CT9A thread. We've had enough of those and there's a whole big sticky on the noob board. The OP asked why similarly spec'd IXs can sell for more than their X brethren. Seems well-covered.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I guess your previous post sounded sarcastic to me but you were just pointing out the obvious.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Because lighter and more-spartan appeal to the sports sedan crowd?

Really, I can buy a new, 0-mile X here for $32k. I like them, but they are two different cars to me, both with advantages and disadvantages.

Supply and demand, stated twice, basically covers it. I'd expand and say demand and size of the target demographic come into play. There may be better luxury sport sedans out there than a X, but there are few raw sports sedans that are better than an VIII/IX.

Last edited by FERNO; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by njboy

Man, that semi-automatic has a few downsides. First, any new tech is unreliable tech for the initial term, and $10,000 for a new box is pretty steep. While it's super quick, that same uber speed shifting is known to cause track day headaches with overheating warnings and such.

Viscerally, I like a shifter, it's "old school" as was my first car I learned to drive in, plain old shifting is part of the experience of driving (Ok, I admit to sitting in an old VW bug when I was like 6 years old pretending to drive and shiftin the heck out of that in the driveway of my grandparents). My left foot in my wife's car gets confused at stop lights, it wants to be part of the fun of making the car GO!

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX